Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What if...a SP'd reverse negative version of the Griffey '89 Upper Deck Griffey existed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Just fun food for thought...

With prices of the Thomas NNOF on the rise, it got me thinking about what the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RC might fetch had a reverse negative error of his card in quantanties similar to the NNOF existed. Any guesses???

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
If there were ~400 of them, probably NNOF+50%. Or maybe NNOF x 5. Could be a card that's important and rare and have something of a value in line with other important Griffey rarities. Or it could be one of those cards that's just out of line with other comparables. Not that there are many comparables for that era. Is the Purple hat Griffey a real thing? I think one of Griffey's minor league cards has a scarce variation, but nothing comes to mind in the major leagues until you get to 93 Finest refractors or something.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You mean like the '89 Upper Deck Dale Murphy "error?"

A Griffey would never have had a print run as low as the Thomas NNOF because Upper Deck would have reprinted it just like they reprinted the normal Griffey rookie for dealers to buy in bricks of hundreds. (from the book, Card Sharks)

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
You mean like the '89 Upper Deck Dale Murphy "error?"

A Griffey would never have had a print run as low as the Thomas NNOF because Upper Deck would have reprinted it just like they reprinted the normal Griffey rookie for dealers to buy in bricks of hundreds. (from the book, Card Sharks)

Like the Dale Murphy...the reference to the Thomas NNOF as a comparable of its current price point and it's estimated print run.

The Murphy reverse negative was corrected earlier on, which is why there is a premium on that card (albeit a much smaller one than the Thomas).

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
If there were ~400 of them, probably NNOF+50%. Or maybe NNOF x 5. Could be a card that's important and rare and have something of a value in line with other important Griffey rarities. Or it could be one of those cards that's just out of line with other comparables. Not that there are many comparables for that era. Is the Purple hat Griffey a real thing? I think one of Griffey's minor league cards has a scarce variation, but nothing comes to mind in the major leagues until you get to 93 Finest refractors or something.

I would have to venture that something like that could have hit upwards of 100K in a BGS10, similar to what the '86 Jordan. While Jordan is obviously in a league of his own as an athlete, the '89 Upper Deck Griffey is arguably most iconic sportcard of that era. As for iconic baseball cards, we have the pre war Wagner, the post war Mantle, and the modern era Griffey. If Griffey's card can still garner what it currently does in raw condition, despite a million of those things having had been printed, I think that says a lot not only about himself but the importance of that piece of cardboard as an iconic symbol too.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
What about this?!?!

upsidedown.jpg

Members online