Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do collectors shun printing plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
As in the title, Why do collectors shun printing plates? They're unique and they were actually used to make the cards we go after.

I personally love them and love the fact that the last few or so I've gotten for under $20ea.

Fordman

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Because they aren't cards. They are byproducts of the process to make cards.

Using this logic, an autograph, patch or relic of any kind is an additive to the process.

Is the same thought used when buying uncut sheets, miscuts or "backdoored" cards? They're all byproducts of the card making process too yet there is no shortage of collectors that want them.

Fordman

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's a good question, a completely subjective things that can't really be explained. It's like asking,"Why do non-collectors shun cards in the first place?" A fully-licensed, pack-issued "card" is the core of the hobby. Plates are just...not cards. I have plenty of them, but I don't compete super-hard for them.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I think they're cool for a few reasons. Most importantly is they are a true 1/1. Not some artificial serial #'d 1/1 to make it look rare when it's really not. You can also see the wear and tear they go through to make the cards, which adds a cool factor for me. The fact that they're metal when all other cards are cardboard and also that they are a reverse negative of the actual card.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Or are they 1/4?

They're ok. If I can get them for around $15 I pick them up
They're a 1/1 for sure as a cyan plate will have a different ink transfer surface than the magenta, yellow or black. Dot matrix/flexographic printing is really cool when you look into it more. It's really just a bunch of tiny placed colored dots.

Fordman

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think they are underrated, to be honest. I think the main reason why people don't like them as much as regular 1/1's is because

1) There are 4 of them. I don't see them as /4 cards, because they are all different colors. If the manufacturer can change a foil color and have that be the only change from the base card, /99, /50, /25 and /10 then the plates should be seen as all 1/1's also.

2) They aren't as pretty as the regular cards. As we move closer to appreciating high-end baseball cards as works of art, aesthetics means more and more.

In my mind, I LOVE pieces that are used to make the final products of cards. It is like owning a piece of history of some iconic cards. They are like the ultimate "game used" pieces. If you see a bat chip or fabric swatch in a card, the player used those in a game and they were inserted in the card. Well, plates are "production used". I can almost see someone chopping these up and putting them in cards at some point.

"Congratulations! Embedded in this card is a piece of the actual printing plate used to create the very card you are holding, and every other single copy on the planet like it!"

Hmmmm....*Scratches Chin

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Would this type of card be more appealing to people?

whatif.jpg

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Don't know that going that far is necessary but I do like when they frame the plates up nice :)
Even the Ginter framed minis add a nice touch

I agree - I think the mini framed plates are my favorites :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think distributing printing plates was an inspired idea. Much better to get them to collectors than throwing them in the trash. But I don't go after them, and don't even include them in my PC checklist. Why? I dunno, I'm just not into them.

I do have one plate though, because I really liked that particular card, and because the plate is something unique with its own little story. I like the stories behind cards. Even dumb ones like the 2016 stadium club buybacks that are just old cards taken directly from commons boxes and stuffed directly into packs. Just sooooo dumb. But a good story, so of course I'll try to add one to my PC :)

I guess it just boils down to individual interests and tastes, and any collector with limited time or $ has to draw the line somewhere...

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I love them, but I can see others' points that they are less attractive than actual cards. They are a tool used in the printing process, so they often have ink smears or scratches as they aren't made to last forever. I'm still chasing a full set - have got to 3 of 4 on one card.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I love the design @mouschi did. I agree that it does not need to be that involved, but something to make them more attractive would be nice. I buy them from time to time, but there is really only 1 that I care about. It was from Topps 2005 after Boston won the series...It was a "curse" card and I "had" to own at least one of the plates from it.

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
After posting this online, a few other ideas came out:

A booklet with the entire plate ...

WHATIFBOOK.jpg

and a booklet with pieces of all plates used ...

whatifbook2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.