Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tim Raines Yes/No for HOF

Should Tim Raines be in the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thought I'd see how the board felt with a simple poll and would invite anyone to share their thoughts with a post. I've exhausted my thoughts in another thread around why I think he is a NO for the Hall of Fame but some would love to argue YES for the Hall of Fame. Curious what the greater site thinks.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
For what its worth he was probably better than Lou Brock was. I'm curious to know if people know that he was called 'Rock' and why.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes. Many experts say he's the second best leadoff hitter of all time after Rickey Henderson.
It's a shame the disease Lupus wrecked the last five yeara of his career or he would have easily gotten 3,000 hits and 2,000 runs and this wouldn't even be a question.

I know "coulda shoulda woulda blah blah," but Puckett got in after disease (glaucoma) ended his career.

And Mansgame, I believe Albert Belle should get in too.
Belle was a Top 3 player of the 90s with Thomas and Griffey, and injury ended his career.
Belle was complete domination, and had 103 rbi his final season when injury cut his career short.
Still, his stats in his 11-12 year career are as good or better than HOFers like Jim Rice, Orlando Cepeda and Tony Perez.
Too bad voters couldn't look past his reputation or attitude. (Or if he was linked to steroids, which I don't know).

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Crack head, jerk, nope

Those two things mean very little, and should mean very little. Most agree that Rickey Henderson was an arrogant jerk as well. An up and coming star in MLB, i know for a fact is a cocaine addict. Would he lose his fans if it came out? Would it keep him from beig a hall of famer if he deserved it with his stats? Nope.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm curious to know if people know that he was called 'Rock' and why.
It's not from his 1982 cocaine use, if that's what some people think.

Here's a quote of his from his website:

"I played three different positions -- second, left and center. Second isn't my position, though. There was no way I could catch a ground ball hit right at me. I guess that's how I got the nickname Rock. I got it my rookie year in 1981 -- they say because of my hands, but I like to think it's more because I'm short and stocky. You know, built like a little rock."

Raines also calls his son "Little Rock" and often signs autographs "Rock" Raines.

TyCobbSalad

May 26, 2012
Philthadelphia
Like most other questionable HOFers, there are most certainly players in the HOF that were not as good as Raines. That's always an issue, any player that is "questionable" in my mind is a NO.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Bullcrap he was called rock because of his cocaine addiction. He used to keep a vial in his back pocket which is why he would slide head first!!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bullcrap he was called rock because of his cocaine addiction. He used to keep a vial in his back pocket which is why he would slide head first!!
Don't believe that urban legend garbage about his nickname. (But he did testify about keeping a vial of powder in his pocket)
Do you really think Raines would sign autographs "Rock" Raines and call his son Little Rock if the nickname was because of his cocaine use? Come on.
And Raines used the powder, not crack rocks, which if you do a Google search, didn't hit the drug culture until 1984/1985. Raines got the nickname in MLB in 1981.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Absolutely not...it's a joke he's even considered. The Hall of Fame and the Pretty Good is what it should be called, then I guess he should be in. So should Cliff Floyd. And Bernard Gilkey. And Brady Anderson. And hopefully in a few years Kerry Wood will be in.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Absolutely not...it's a joke he's even considered. The Hall of Fame and the Pretty Good is what it should be called, then I guess he should be in. So should Cliff Floyd. And Bernard Gilkey. And Brady Anderson. And hopefully in a few years Kerry Wood will be in.

Exactly, its not the Hall of Greatest Evers either. I get what you and others are saying but people take it way seriously. We know who the elites are whether they have a plaque somewhere or not and regardless of who has a plaque next to them. Ted Williams would not be less of a legend if someone hung a picture of Tim Raines next to his. The Hall is an amazing museum and a cool organization, but its still just a group of humans, many with personal biases and agendas, paying tribute to a great game. Also, what makes baseball fun is the discussion and heated debate. Raines? Sure why not

Leffer

May 20, 2010
New Jersey
Some facts about Tim Raines...when talking about HOF:
How many WS rings? 1 as a part of the juggernaut 96 NYY...how'd he do in that WS? 3 measly singles in 14 ABs.
How did he do in the post-season in his career, when it really matters? 3 SBs and 18 runs in 34 postseason games...and 3 times caught stealing! Way to show up in the big spots. (side note: Lou Brock has 2 WS Rings, and stole 14 bases in 21 games and was caught only twice (!!!)...oh and added a 0.391 AVG, 4 HRs, and 13 RBIs in 3 WS ...they didn't have playoffs back then)
How many MVPs? 1 stupid little All Star Game MVP. The highest he ever came in the voting was 5th. (Brock never won one either, but finished 2nd in the voting one year)
Silver Slugger Awards? 1
Led League in Hits? zero seasons
Batting Titles? 1 NL title (1986...Brock had none)
Led League in Runs? 2 seasons (TWO....for a premier leadoff hitter? pathetic...in fairness, Brock also only led the league twice)
Lead League in Steals? 4 (Brock had 8...even Vince Coleman had 6).
Gold gloves? none (neither did Brock)

I say there is no way this guy should make the HOF. Good player? Yes, but a little over-rated. And the cocaine can't help his case.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Some facts about Tim Raines...when talking about HOF:
How many WS rings? 1 as a part of the juggernaut 96 NYY...how'd he do in that WS? 3 measly singles in 14 ABs.
How did he do in the post-season in his career, when it really matters? 3 SBs and 18 runs in 34 postseason games...and 3 times caught stealing! Way to show up in the big spots. (side note: Lou Brock has 2 WS Rings, and stole 14 bases in 21 games and was caught only twice (!!!)...oh and added a 0.391 AVG, 4 HRs, and 13 RBIs in 3 WS ...they didn't have playoffs back then)
How many MVPs? 1 stupid little All Star Game MVP. The highest he ever came in the voting was 5th. (Brock never won one either, but finished 2nd in the voting one year)
Silver Slugger Awards? 1
Led League in Hits? zero seasons
Batting Titles? 1 NL title (1986...Brock had none)
Led League in Runs? 2 seasons (TWO....for a premier leadoff hitter? pathetic...in fairness, Brock also only led the league twice)
Lead League in Steals? 4 (Brock had 8...even Vince Coleman had 6).
Gold gloves? none (neither did Brock)

I say there is no way this guy should make the HOF. Good player? Yes, but a little over-rated. And the cocaine can't help his case.

I like how you compared him to someone other than Rickey and he still comes up short!

Members online

Latest posts