Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can Someone Please Explain This Chrome Pink Price? (advice needed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I pulled a 2013 Topps Chrome Kris Medlen Pink #1 /5. I figured it was a $15 card, so I wasn't too excited.

Then, I went on ebay and saw this: Kris Medlen 2013 Topps Chrome Baseball 18 Parallel Pink 5 Braves | eBay

If the link doesn't work, it's the same card, #2 /5, currently going for $295.00 with 11 hours left.

Can you guys please give me your opinions on whether or not you think these bids are legit, if shilling is going on, if you think the seller will actually get paid, etc.

If I sold mine, should I expect similar results, or is this a total fluke? Any advice on selling? Start at .99 or set a high BIN?

I looked up other pink /5 sales, and much better players have gone for much lower prices.

I've NEVER sold a card before, but if this is what I can expect, I'd be silly not to.

Thanks in advance for your input.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Looks like a legitimately surprisingly high price for a rare card. Looking at the bidding, one guy with 36 FB has entered a bid likely over $300, and one other bidder has run him up from $25 to $295. Looking at the gaps in time between the bids, it looks like the underbidder was doing some soul-searching over how high he'd like to go. We can't know if the 36 FBer is a real person, or maybe Medlen's mom, or what. If you have one to sell, I'd list it right away with a $250 or so BIN, and maybe the current underbidder will notice and buy it, "saving" $50. Maybe not. But unless there's some huge groundswell in Kris Medlen's popularity I'm not aware of (which is far from impossible), I think it's a total fluke that will only serve the first seller.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Could be legit, especially if that's the only Medlen available so far. I pulled a Granderson Pink, and have definitely noticed that the prices can be bizarre on these. Like you said, much better players are selling for less than expected (Yu Darvish for $22, CC for $15.50), but some are going for more than I would expect (Jon Jay for $46, Bumgarner for $100). If you can get half of what that first Medlen is going to get, you're going to do very well.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Looks like a legitimately surprisingly high price for a rare card. Looking at the bidding, one guy with 36 FB has entered a bid likely over $300, and one other bidder has run him up from $25 to $295. Looking at the gaps in time between the bids, it looks like the underbidder was doing some soul-searching over how high he'd like to go. We can't know if the 36 FBer is a real person, or maybe Medlen's mom, or what. If you have one to sell, I'd list it right away with a $250 or so BIN, and maybe the current underbidder will notice and buy it, "saving" $50. Maybe not. But unless there's some huge groundswell in Kris Medlen's popularity I'm not aware of (which is far from impossible), I think it's a total fluke that will only serve the first seller.

Took your advice. I'll let you know how it goes. I have no expectations, so if it doesn't sell, I'm fine keeping it.

Thanks for the response.

A_Pharis

Nice sale, hombre! Crazy to think you may have left money on the table.. but - at the same time - it could have been hit by someone who was bidding on the other and would have had no shot at driving it as high. I think you did well!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nice sale! There's apparently a couple Medlen collectors with disposable income. Cards like this are kind of a buy it now or you might never see it again item, and to many collectors are just as, if not more, desireable than 1/1s. That sounds stupid, but player collectors be nuts. They know they'll never have ALL of a players cards, but having every non 1/1 is a very real/realistic objective

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
There's a few of them out there now. I was the only Medlen collector for awhile it seemed like. Lately, starting with 2013 heritage a few people have shown up and go extremely hard early for cards. (Ie: 2013 heritage gold ref /5 went for 250+ at release, i waited 3 months and got one for 30$) I PC Medlen and it's made me think long and hard about listing my 06 draft plate RC (as a 2013 tc plate is up over 200).

Members online