Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sets to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Hey all, I’m mainly a baseball collector but I’m putting together a collection for my son. I’ve been buying baseball sets to put back for him when he grows up, but when it comes to football, I have no idea what sets would be the best. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
not sure what type of budget you're dealing with , but i'd start off with a few from the era before the majority of a set's rookies were short printed , serial numbered , game used , or autographed....

1984 topps
1986 topps
1989 score
1993 sp

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, for the last few years Panini (Donruss) has the exclusive rights so your options are more limited.

Base Score and Donruss are both fun rips. Not a lot of high end cards but tons of inserts, parallels and RCs.

Elite and Contenders are better mid-range products with highly sought auto RCs.

Unfortunately, Panini products look a lot alike year to year...

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Thanks for the input guys. I should have been more clear, I’m looking for new products to pick up. I have been picking up the main 80s RCs for my personal collection, but don’t have much modern stuff. He was born in 2017 so I picked up a bunch of 2017 baseball sets, but plan on sticking with the main ones in the future, like Bowman Chrome, Tooos Chrome, Topps flagship and update. I’d like the same kinds of sets in football and baseball, basically sets that have the main RCs, but nothing with a bunch of SSPs, autos, etc. I looked up Donruss and found Optic, as well as Panini Prizm. They seem to be the closest I could find, just not sure if they typically cover all the RCs.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Prizm does have plenty of RCs.

I like the set but it has has about 20 parallels too, that's not an exaggeration...

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
How old is your son ?

He was born last April. I didn’t have many modern cards in my collection so I figured I’d start picking some up in the hopes that once he’s old enough to possibly become interested in collecting, I would have some stuff for him that he’d be interested in.

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Does Panini even make factory sets like Topps does? I guess if not you can always get a set put together off Ebay.

Konaja

Sep 26, 2018
Wilmington
I personally prefer to collect sets and the affordable inserts. I'll buy a couple boxes and mix in some retail. I like the big hit, but am in collecting because i like to make sets. Flagship Topps and Bowman have been the easiest for me to complete