Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Are these "2nd copies" recently discovered? I have had mine for years and I am hoping that means it was before these others hit the scene. Where they cut by the factory or from someone who scored the sheets?

They first started appearing 5 or so years ago and then in bulk about 2 years ago.

Not sure how it really matters, fact is there are two 1/1s per card and if you choice to buy one it was either pack pulled or sheet cut; both real and both tainted imho.

Last edited:

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
Hey guys - I've been lurking and reading this thread for a while now, and it actually got me back into my Thome collection with a focus on some of the cool 90s and early 00s inserts. So thanks for the good read and info!

Question - anybody know what this is? The checklist only seems to have a normal non-museum-ish version, and this one seems to be a parallel of some kind. Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301585394122?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Just had these slabbed by BGS, who identified by them as base. I say they're all promos. What say you?

Greg-Maddux.jpg
Frank-Thomas.jpg
Cal-Ripken-Jr.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hey guys - I've been lurking and reading this thread for a while now, and it actually got me back into my Thome collection with a focus on some of the cool 90s and early 00s inserts. So thanks for the good read and info!

Question - anybody know what this is? The checklist only seems to have a normal non-museum-ish version, and this one seems to be a parallel of some kind. Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301585394122?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The Red Letters set came in a glass Frame and were available by redemption. Although no print run is known , besides the set I had, I have only seen a second picture of Griffey , Thome (which this one on eBay is that one , it was listed last year as well) , Ripken, A Jones and Manny I believe. It was a 24 card set and I personally have only seen proof that maybe a 2nd set existed and that's from only seeing those 5 I listed in Google pics etc.

So if there were 2-5-10-15-20-25 sets (25 is the possible number, but I'd say I'm 100% confident it would exceed that) exist , I'm not sure where they all are.

Based on what I sold pieces to player collectors and based on Thome sales recently I think $200 is fair. I don't k ow if you'll see another anytime soon.

Ryan

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
The Red Letters set came in a glass Frame and were available by redemption. Although no print run is known , besides the set I had, I have only seen a second picture of Griffey , Thome (which this one on eBay is that one , it was listed last year as well) , Ripken, A Jones and Manny I believe. It was a 24 card set and I personally have only seen proof that maybe a 2nd set existed and that's from only seeing those 5 I listed in Google pics etc.

So if there were 2-5-10-15-20-25 sets (25 is the possible number, but I'd say I'm 100% confident it would exceed that) exist , I'm not sure where they all are.

Based on what I sold pieces to player collectors and based on Thome sales recently I think $200 is fair. I don't k ow if you'll see another anytime soon.

Ryan

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the story! $200 is still a bit rich for my taste, but given the scarcity as you describe I can see that if somebody knows what they are looking at they might jump on it. Thanks again.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

Ryan

1997StandandDeliverRED.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301585394122?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ET1.jpg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
My long time search for a Cal Ripken Jr. 1997 Pinnacle FanFest Playing Card ended today thanks to [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION]...

img464a.jpg

...he even sent along two travel companions (but only one of them was appropriate for this thread)...

img460a.jpg

...a BIG BIG THANK YOU magic for hooking me up!

slaneyjason

Feb 19, 2012
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the story! $200 is still a bit rich for my taste, but given the scarcity as you describe I can see that if somebody knows what they are looking at they might jump on it. Thanks again.
Oh yeah, someone is seriously considering jumping on it... Hmmmm

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Well we had the full framed set picture...and now this thread is nearing individual scans of half of the set ;) It is surely one of the super sweet ones!
IMG_zps5plxus3b.jpg

Members online