Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Awesome 1946 scorecard pickup w/ a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Already posted this in the Doerr thread on Friday but wanted to get everyone's opinion on what to do next

This is a scorecard from the Cleveland Indians win over the Boston Red Sox on July 31, 1946.

http://fenwayparkdiaries.com/1946 red sox/sox 07-31-1946.htm

Bob Feller threw a one-hitter that day (but walked 9!) with the only hit coming from a Bobby Doerr single ( and thus why I bought it)!

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1414351123.712126.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1414351139.365729.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1414351156.274233.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1414351177.469346.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1414351192.129657.jpg

I love the history and the ads on the piece. Now I just have the dilemma on how to display it. First, is this something PSA would grade/authenticate? Then, what's everyone thoughts on how to store it? First impression was to frame it, but then I lose the back ads and info. I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I love old scorecards, and they gotta be scored to raise my interest. I love what you have there and think it is a fantastic piece in itself, but especially so as you are a Doerr fan. Great pickup.

I don't have any advice for regular display, as I keep the few that I have in a 3-ring binder in archival pages. They can be seen fairly well that way, and then taken out to be opened up. You may consider this if you pick up any more such things, but it sounds like you're gonna frame this one. I have not heard of or know about PSA or anyone else authenticating scorecards.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
By the way, I find it hard to believe that you joined this site at its inception but only have 226 posts?! I feel like I've seen way more than that from you, but I guess our tastes just tend to overlap!

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
By the way, I find it hard to believe that you joined this site at its inception but only have 226 posts?! I feel like I've seen way more than that from you, but I guess our tastes just tend to overlap!

Lol---I am an originally member of this site, making the transition with everyone else from the Beckett Boards back in the day! I have been in and out of the hobby many times over the years, including being out for about 4 years up until I came back a few months ago. Now that the job, woman, and car are stable, I'm ramping back up my Doerr Pursuits- much to Rebelpawn and Scotty's dismay ;)

Thanks,
Jeff

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
What about a frame that is two pieces of glass, that makes a "floating" feel? I don't think you'd want to just smash it between two pieces of glass, so maybe put it between two mattes and then in between the glass, so there's some breathing room so it doesn't get stuck to the glass over time. It would enable you to see both sides, although you still run into the problem of seeing the back when it's on a wall.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
That's a good point---don't want it to sustain damage in anyway. Maybe a shadow box arrangement then on a shelf so that both sides are visible?!

Thanks,
Jeff

Members online

Latest posts