Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is ashame how the mighty have fallen.....No words..I didn't think these would go that low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
"Mighty" is quite a stretch. It's a solid example of the perils of prospecting though. He will never be more than a journeyman who died young now.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Mighty" is quite a stretch. It's a solid example of the perils of prospecting though. He will never be more than a journeyman who died young now.
I agree. And the fact that he drank and drive and killed his innocent girlfriend, destroyed his popularity and sympathy for him.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I say the "mighty" referring to his once base Chrome autos selling for $200+ ungraded. He wasn't just a regular prospect. He was the #1 or #2 overall prospect who had a future pinned with a .330 avg. 25+ hrs & 110+ rbi's in a top baseball market. He wasn't just a Maikel Franco kind of prospect with holes in his offense and defense. Most of us were priced out of his "card market" and I was lucky to pick his Chrome auto up and only lose $40 on it after I sold it hours after he passed. Too bad he thought he was invincible and claimed his life and his girlfriend who was innocent.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Lesson for any of us to sell sooner rather than later if we know we are selling...and do so (of course) leaving out tacky title words some think are necessary.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I mentioned in a thread a week or so ago, how his auto's were selling for $2-$3 a piece in a fire sale at a local show.

Fordman

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I say the "mighty" referring to his once base Chrome autos selling for $200+ ungraded. He wasn't just a regular prospect. He was the #1 or #2 overall prospect who had a future pinned with a .330 avg. 25+ hrs & 110+ rbi's in a top baseball market. He wasn't just a Maikel Franco kind of prospect with holes in his offense and defense. Most of us were priced out of his "card market" and I was lucky to pick his Chrome auto up and only lose $40 on it after I sold it hours after he passed. Too bad he thought he was invincible and claimed his life and his girlfriend who was innocent.

Well, his price was based on a lot of future hype and speculation rather than performance. Now you know that speculation will never come to fruition, so of course the value will drop off a cliff. In a few years, hardly anyone outside of die hard baseball fans or Cardinals fans will even know who he is.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
There have also been a couple of thousand 2014 and 2015 Topps autos to hit the market posthumously. Topps must have been sitting on a huge inventory.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Mighty?

He was a top prospect. People spend crazy dollars on his MLB potential. Obviously, that potential is never going to come to fruition. So why would his cards still bring money?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I wonder what that ******* with the so-called unsigned Taveras errors thinks about all this. His worthless cards now might have negative value.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I think we saw this one coming just because he's an unproven prospect there's no reason for prospectors to really keep his stuff - had he been a proven player, not a HOFer but even someone who had a few real solid years (someone like a McCutchen) I think we would see his autos command a lot of money for awhile. But now his auto has no appeal to prospectors, so the market is much smaller and the supply is only getting larger with new autos still coming out from previously signed cards.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
There have also been a couple of thousand 2014 and 2015 Topps autos to hit the market posthumously. Topps must have been sitting on a huge inventory.

With the certified autograph age, this is probably why Taveras' autographs are plenty cheap regardless of unfulfilled potential.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There will still be a market to some extent. People out there who collect players born in a certain country, players who have died regardless of their careers, team collectors, set collectors, etc. Hopefully the prices will reflect the legacy they left behind along with the scarcity overall. If he was a Dodger, I'd want one of his autographs regardless of what he did or didn't do.

Members online

Latest posts