Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=7109]RAZOR-Z[/MENTION] - I love ya dude but seriously... we're ALL passionate about our PC and having MUST HAVE cards of our guy BUT let's be honest... it's always JUST another $100 when going after a card... eventually it's just ridiculous.

Use me for an example... if I offer $300 on a card (regardless of the price asked) that's probably my limit (if I've offered it as my final offer) and I've probably already tried mentally getting to the highest possible number... so it isn't just another $100... I'm already adding in that $100 LOL... so anyways, you eventually have to move on. The Belle nameplate is the best Belle card out there but I'm not going to overextend myself a few $100 bills more just to make it happen.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
A modern-player supercollector realizes that they can't have everything, but wants it anyway. It burns when you can't get a card you want even when you're willing to pay a little more than it should sell for, but sometimes that's just the case.

Razor-Z - the economy is tough, not everyone can make it rain Benjamins like you. A $100 is a lot to some, me included. Your willingness to overspend is your perogative, but just know that it's actions like yours that make sellers like this believe they'll eventually find a sucker to go way overboard. (Case in point - 1996 Leaf Preferred Bronze Promos)

I have found that having a website for my player collection comes in very handy for negotiations like OP is going thru. When I write to someone via ebay, I let them know I probably have the world's largest Mark Grace collection, point them to my website, and then ask them to consider an offer in line with what I have paid for a similar type card. I think being able to show them my collection online helps tremendously with both being considered an "expert" on the player's cards and with letting the seller know I'm both passionate about my collection and sincere about my offer. Oftentimes, the seller cuts me a deal because of that. Very rarely, a seller will think they have a fish on the line, and try to use my devotion against me. Only thing you can do in that situation is be polite, but stick to your guns. You don't want to slam the door on a possible future deal when the seller eventually comes to their senses.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
@RAZOR-Z - I love ya dude but seriously... we're ALL passionate about our PC and having MUST HAVE cards of our guy BUT let's be honest... it's always JUST another $100 when going after a card... eventually it's just ridiculous.

Use me for an example... if I offer $300 on a card (regardless of the price asked) that's probably my limit (if I've offered it as my final offer) and I've probably already tried mentally getting to the highest possible number... so it isn't just another $100... I'm already adding in that $100 LOL... so anyways, you eventually have to move on. The Belle nameplate is the best Belle card out there but I'm not going to overextend myself a few $100 bills more just to make it happen.

I understand - If you have the means to obtain the Belle nameplate though I suggest you get it *if you don't see yourself ever selling your collection. Will you remember that you didn't get a new coat the winter of 2013 and ate Kraft macaroni and cheese for 3 months? Or would you rather smile in delight every time you think about your nameplate (Let alone look at it in your hand!) I have a hard time living with regret. I'm sure it drives me to overspend. I can see how it could be viewed as a double-edged sword (Just another $100) I'm not trying to push my mentality on you guys - I am jealous of all the great releases some of you still get of your old school PC guy. I said to myself when these cards were discovered: "THIS is a card I would have to have at no cost..."

Last edited:

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
A modern-player supercollector realizes that they can't have everything, but wants it anyway. It burns when you can't get a card you want even when you're willing to pay a little more than it should sell for, but sometimes that's just the case.

Razor-Z - the economy is tough, not everyone can make it rain Benjamins like you. A $100 is a lot to some, me included. Your willingness to overspend is your perogative, but just know that it's actions like yours that make sellers like this believe they'll eventually find a sucker to go way overboard. (Case in point - 1996 Leaf Preferred Bronze Promos)

Point taken.

Jose Canseco collector competition is what drives my high bids, offers, and buys... If I don't act quick it WILL be GONE. It comes with the territory collecting Jose Canseco.
Cards that sit online for other peoples PC guy for weeks/months wouldn't last through the first 20 minutes if it were a Canseco version. So understand what I am up against.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Funny story, years ago there was a seller on Ebay that had a McGwire HR refractor I wanted but was asking something like $300 when they were going for $90-$100. I sent him a message about the value of the card being only $90-100, showed him a couple completed auctions to prove it, but that I was willing to go up to $125 because I wanted to check it off my list.

His response to me was that he knew for a fact the card was actually worth $400 because he contacted one of the biggest, most knowledgeable McGwire collectors about the card before listing it and that he was the one guy to trust with pricing. He then made it clear that I obviously didn't know anything about the value of McGwire cards and all I was trying to take advantage of him.

I asked him the name of the collector, his answer was priceless: "onionring9, you should talk to him and learn something about the value of this card".

Needless to say I received the card and an apology for $125. I was entertained to say the least :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I understand - If you have the means to obtain the Belle nameplate though I suggest you get it *if you don't see yourself ever selling your collection. Will you remember that you didn't get a new coat the winter of 2013 and ate Kraft macaroni and cheese for 3 months? Or would you rather smile in delight every time you think about your nameplate (Let alone look at it in your hand!) I have a hard time living with regret. I'm sure it drives me to overspend. I can see how it could be viewed as a double-edged sword (Just another $100) I'm not trying to push my mentality on you guys - I am jealous of all the great releases some of you still get of your old school PC guy. I said to myself when these cards were discovered: "THIS is a card I would have to have at no cost..."
Believe me, I could afford the card no problem - I just have standards when it comes to my collection (which I would admit are already too high) and what I'm going to spend. Just because some jacka$$ wants to try and push me around doesn't mean I need to flex my financial muscles and "show him" :lol:

Anyways, to everyone their own. I can live without the card I guess...

A_Pharis

I have sent a link to my collection in the past when making offers. Sometimes, those selles do realize that you may be the prime buyer of that card. If you go in honest - sometimes it takes. In all honesty - the card isn't worth even $300. I'd tell him that he probably missed out on the best prospect for a higher selling price and move on.

A few months from now - it'll show back up.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have sent a link to my collection in the past when making offers. Sometimes, those selles do realize that you may be the prime buyer of that card. If you go in honest - sometimes it takes. In all honesty - the card isn't worth even $300. I'd tell him that he probably missed out on the best prospect for a higher selling price and move on.

A few months from now - it'll show back up.
Me? I agree.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I would be upset if it disappeared and would not regret spending another $100. My "standard" is not to screw around on 1/1 cards and cost myself the satisfaction of owning it/anguish of losing it.

I can make more money - I can't make opportunities reappear.

-AJ

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008

All about priorities. I'm glad cards bring you such joy, but in my opinion, there is no need to suffer in other aspects of life for pieces of cardboard. Like gracecollector said, you can't have everything. There is no need to be taken advantage of by a seller.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I would be upset if it disappeared and would not regret spending another $100. My "standard" is not to screw around on 1/1 cards and cost myself the satisfaction of owning it/anguish of losing it.

I can make more money - I can't make opportunities reappear.

-AJ
I hear you...

Let me put it more simple...

I'm already "going the extra $100" with my final offer... which is basically a 50% increase from what I thought was fair...

Now you're saying "go the extra $100" - well I already am and it's not good enough, so you're saying just keep going the extra $100 until the extra $100 added to the next is good enough? That's insane IMHO.

Trust me dude, I would LOVE the card... it kills me to not have it but I'm not going to give in to an a-hole who is keeping it hostage and knows I'm his buyer and it just trying to get me to stretch myself for it...

Anyways, we can agree to disagree... I'll be able to sleep tonight without it.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Funny story, years ago there was a seller on Ebay that had a McGwire HR refractor I wanted but was asking something like $300 when they were going for $90-$100. I sent him a message about the value of the card being only $90-100, showed him a couple completed auctions to prove it, but that I was willing to go up to $125 because I wanted to check it off my list.

His response to me was that he knew for a fact the card was actually worth $400 because he contacted one of the biggest, most knowledgeable McGwire collectors about the card before listing it and that he was the one guy to trust with pricing. He then made it clear that I obviously didn't know anything about the value of McGwire cards and all I was trying to take advantage of him.

I asked him the name of the collector, his answer was priceless: "onionring9, you should talk to him and learn something about the value of this card".

Needless to say I received the card and an apology for $125. I was entertained to say the least :)
That made me quite happy.

And yeah, saw it ended at $350. Wonder if hive bit the bullet?

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I am on Hives side with this. I know what Henderson prices are fair, cause that all I've dealt with over the last 25 years. I have seen plenty of the same Hendersons on Ebay with ridiculous BIN for years now. Many where I have made the only offers for years only to be turned down over and over again. Henderson 1/1 cards, serial # cards 10 or less, ect. all have a certain price range in which they fall. Certain auctions may go over, and some may fall under, but 95% of the time an auction will end in the proper price range so that's how I base my offers.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Well, thanks to [MENTION=7109]RAZOR-Z[/MENTION] making annoyingly good sense :) AND the fact that the seller came down $50, I pulled the trigger at $350.

I may have overpaid in theory, but I have a historic "rainbow" from Allen and Ginter's now. I have the first-ever "hidden box glossy", the wood, Yount's first rip (a dual no less), his SSP'd GU bat, the A&G back and all the rest. Actually, I might be missing some of the lowest-end one's, but I'll grab those up and try to scan the whole run (minus print-plates).

Thanks again for all the input.