Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting article claims Ty Cobb not racist / dirty / murderer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Exactly.

This is simply a different viewpoint by one writer. It's opinion piece. Nothing has been proven and older viewpoints haven't been disproven.

So the information he sites that casts doubt on other earlier claims doesn't work towards that? He did exactly write an opinion piece but wrote something after looking for documentation.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
So the information he sites that casts doubt on other earlier claims doesn't work towards that? He did exactly write an opinion piece but wrote something after looking for documentation.

I find if interesting to be sure. He didn't prove or disprove really anything in the article. That's simply my point.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I guess the movie "Cobb" with Tommy Lee Jones is considered fictional now.

The writer of the book that the Cobb movie was based upon has been widely discredited and even accused (and proven in many cases) of selling fake Cobb memorabilia he reported receiving from the Peach. Cobb spent much of his retirement spending his money on charitable causes such as paying for the building of hospitals, setting up scholarship programs that are still in place today and even paying hospital bills and living expenses for former ball players who had fallen on hard times. While it makes for great book reading to write about the guy being a tyrant and a complete a-hole, but from everything I have read, nothing could be farther from the truth. I had spoken to many old timers who met him before he died in '61 and to a man they said he was kind, gracious and giving but highly competitive.

Last edited:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
The writer of the book that the Cobb movie was based upon has been widely discredited and even accused (and proven in many cases) of selling fake Cobb memorabilia he reported receiving from the Peach. Cobb spent much of his retirement spending his money on charitable causes such as paying for the building of hospitals, setting up scholarship programs that are still in place today and even paying hospital bills and living expenses for former ball players who had fallen on hard times. While it makes for great book reading to write about the guy being a tyrant and a complete a-hole, but from everything I have read, nothing could be farther from the truth. I had spoken to many old times who met him before he died in '61 and to a man they said he was kind, gracious and giving but highly competitive.

Very interesting information!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I find if interesting to be sure. He didn't prove or disprove really anything in the article. That's simply my point.
He wrote a book, not just an article.

The original Cobb biographer has been widely discredited, and many quotes and stories attributed to Cobb have been discovered to be completely untrue.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Cobb's legacy, which includes a large college scholarship fund for Georgia residents financed by his early investments in*Coca-Cola*and*General Motors, has been tarnished by allegations of racism and violence, largely stemming from a couple of biographies that were released following his death.

Cobb's reputation as an extremely violent man was fanned by his first biographer, sportswriter*Al Stump, whose stories about Cobb have been discredited as sensationalized, and in some part proven to be entirely fictional, while Cobb's views on race evolved and mellowed after his retirement from baseball.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Some historians, including Wesley Fricks, Dan Holmes, and Charles Leerhsen have defended Cobb against unfair portrayals of him in popular culture since his death. A noted case is the book written by sportswriter*Al Stump*in the months after Cobb died in 1961. Stump was later discredited when it became known that he had stolen items belonging to Cobb and also betrayed the access Cobb gave him in his final months. As a result of the movieCobb*which starred*Tommy Lee Jones, there are many myths surrounding Cobb's life, including one that he sharpened his spikes to inflict wounds to opposing players.

Leerhsen's book*Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beautypresents primary evidence in contradiction to some of the more negative charges against Cobb.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
He wrote a book, not just an article.

Ok, so it was a book. And?

Just because something is in book form doesn't add any more validity to the opinion. I've read many books that I didn't consider accurate.

I think you agree with me that just because it's a book doesn't make it fact!

The original Cobb biographer has been widely discredited, and many quotes and stories attributed to Cobb have been discovered to be completely untrue.

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Ok, so it was a book. And?

Just because something is in book form doesn't add any more validity to the opinion. I've read many books that I didn't consider accurate.

I think you agree with me that just because it's a book doesn't make it fact!
The info has been available for years... And there have been statements for years from former players, etc.

Latest posts