Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Guess It's Up to Us to Vote in Puig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Desmond might make it anyway, since Tulowitzki has a broken rib and is not expected back until after the AS break.
The NL team will need another shortstop.
Tulowitzki is pretty healthy and looking at being back from the DL next week - if he has no other problems w/the rib he'll start the AS game.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Whether people like it or not Puig will unfortunately make the team.

Why is it unfortunate?

This is the fans turn to pick the player they want in the game. If Puig gets in, then the majority of fans want him there.

I dont understand the attitude towards the All Star game. Until Selig added the home field stip, it was a completely meaningless game.

The game is a popularity contest and every year guys who deserve to be there over guys who are going get snubbed.

It's just like the Pro Bowl; guys dont put in 100% effort. No superstar wants to be known as the guy who tore his ucl pitching an inning in the All Star game.

No one has been hotter than Puig these past 30-odd games and he absolutely deserves to be there for the NL.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's an All-Star exhibition, not the Hall of Fame. Who is more exciting for me to watch battle against the AL's elite - Puig, a couple meh 1Bs, the most awkward guy in baseball, or Ian Desmond? I voted manbearpuig.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
If Puig should get in based on 30 days, then Justin Upton should be on the team for his April and part of May and you could throw Gattis in there too.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Keith Law said it best in his latest blog --

"As for the question of the week, I come down in favor of including Yasiel Puig in the All-Star Game, despite his scant time in the majors. The purpose of this event is to market the sport to a wider audience, and I've argued for a long time that doing so should mean including one or two young/rising stars in each league who may not qualify until we take their age or potential into consideration.

Even if you think Jose Fernandez is a bit of a reach this year, he's a strong choice because he's a rising star, just 20 years old and one of the top 15-20 starters in the league already. Puig won't hit .400 the rest of the year, of course, but he's showing a ton of ability, he's an exciting player, and he's already got all of baseball -- including the casual fans MLB is trying to hook further through this game -- talking about him.

Adding Puig to the NL roster to join Fernandez while putting a top rookie, such as Oswaldo Arcia (hitting .283/.347/.451 at age 22 this year for Minnesota), on the AL roster alongside emerging star Manny Machado would help broaden the game's interest while showcasing part of the next generation of MLB superstars. After all, it only counts if people watch."

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Keith Law said it best in his latest blog --

He's not necessarily stating the purpose of the AS game but rather his own purpose at ESPN - which is to market and sell stuff. The more others 'buy into' sports marketing the easier his own job becomes. He may not even care about Puig or the future.

Its difficult to think that those whose responsibility to sell stuff always have the public's best interests at heart, wouldn't you agree... ?

This whole thing will be a lot more interesting to look at and dissect... in several months.

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
It was a great thing to hear on the Braves TV broadcast just now. Joe Simpson just ripped ESPN for pimping Puig on their website.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Well my first issue is that you did the thing where you said "Period" then continued on and on.

But here's some things to think about when diminishing the value that Puig has provided versus other All Stars - beyond the fact that he has a higher BA/OBP/SLG than just about everybody on the team:

Puig 50 hits - Bryce Harper 44 hits
Puig 8 HR - Yadier Molina 6 HR
Puig 4 SB - Brandon Phillips 1 SB
Puig 1 3B - Troy Tulowitzki 0 3B
Puig 19 RBi - Marco Scutaro 18 RBI

Selective numbers for sure, so let's take a look at it from a big picture standpoint. If you want to win the game, the player playing the best of anyone in the game should be on your squad. Games played isn't the only metric. He has a higher WAR than many players who have played the entire season. Isn't it conceivable that he's offered more value in less games than others? Doesn't the best player over 1/3 of the season belong in a game meant to show the best of baseball? The ASG is also a marketing event, and there isn't any player generating the interest in the game that Puig is right now. Puig has been the best player in the league for as long as he has been allowed to play in it. Period.

So would you put this guy in the all-star game this year:

BA: .406
HR: 7
RBI: 20
OPS: 1.177

in 31 games...

Know who that is? Puig's teammate Hanley Ramirez.

Now if Hanley made the team or was in final vote there would be an absolute XXXXstorm.

arhodge13

Jun 10, 2013
Toledo, OH
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of strong opinions regarding whether or not Puig should be including in the All-Star game, so I might as well weigh in. I've voted for Puig and will continue to do so.

I won't sit here and argue that he deserves to play based on tenure or merit. He clearly doesn't. However, he's a rising star who's exciting to watch. If the fans want to see him go to the All-Star game, why not? It's not like he's up for a trip to Cooperstown. I won't try to convince anyone to change their mind (since Freeman et al each deserve the final roster spot), but I'll continue to support including a guy who will perhaps make a few more casual fans tune in to watch.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of strong opinions regarding whether or not Puig should be including in the All-Star game, so I might as well weigh in. I've voted for Puig and will continue to do so.

I won't sit here and argue that he deserves to play based on tenure or merit. He clearly doesn't. However, he's a rising star who's exciting to watch. If the fans want to see him go to the All-Star game, why not? It's not like he's up for a trip to Cooperstown. I won't try to convince anyone to change their mind (since Freeman et al each deserve the final roster spot), but I'll continue to support including a guy who will perhaps make a few more casual fans tune in to watch.

I will admit, he is fun to watch. Needs to learn to slide though, lol.

e_t_f84

Jan 13, 2013
papelbonmohawk_original_display_image.jpg

Wes

OG
Administrator
So would you put this guy in the all-star game this year:

BA: .406
HR: 7
RBI: 20
OPS: 1.177

in 31 games...

Know who that is? Puig's teammate Hanley Ramirez.

Now if Hanley made the team or was in final vote there would be an absolute XXXXstorm.

What's the cutoff for games played? I wasn't able to find that in the ASG rules so curious to know what is considered enough to make someone eligible.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
What's the cutoff for games played? I wasn't able to find that in the ASG rules so curious to know what is considered enough to make someone eligible.

? Not sure why your statement applies here given apples are being compared to apples, but we know Markakis is 100% right.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Considering it determines home field advantage for the world series, it is not considered an exhibition. Give me Freeman. Through his first 23 games you know who Puig is not as good as? Jeff Francoeur.

Am I alone in thinking giving home field advantage this way is beyond idiotic? Personally I think HFA should be determined by the team with the better record, or the higher seeded team, but that's just me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts