Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Guess It's Up to Us to Vote in Puig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Am I alone in thinking giving home field advantage this way is beyond idiotic? Personally I think HFA should be determined by the team with the better record, or the higher seeded team, but that's just me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I'd give it to the league with the better interleague record. Better team record can be inflated by the unbalanced schedule.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'd give it to the league with the better interleague record. Better team record can be inflated by the unbalanced schedule.

You don't see any issue with seven of the top 11 payrolls being in the American League? I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm going to process this one for a minute.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
What's the cutoff for games played? I wasn't able to find that in the ASG rules so curious to know what is considered enough to make someone eligible.

I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Being that Derek Jeter had 380,000+ as of the beginning of June (couldn't find anything more updated) and the guy never played a game at all, I think that answers the question. So my understanding is if they are eligible for votes, they are eligible for selection.

Wes

OG
Administrator
You don't see any issue with seven of the top 11 payrolls being in the American League? I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm going to process this one for a minute.

The point of home field advantage is to give the better team credit for being better during the season. If you come through the stronger league, you've earned it, the statistic about the payrolls only adds to the case IMO.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It's a simple question. What is the cutoff for enough games to qualify for the game?

Apparently more than 32 games for rookies. Without researching however, I bet the number is less for established vets with multiple AS selections under their belts. Some of those guys got in with pretty mediocre offensive numbers and few games especially towards the ends of their careers as we know. This is why its important to note Hanley's numbers actually exceed Puig's.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Final vote leaders so far, according to MLB.com

NL

1. Freddie Freeman
2. Yasiel Puig
3. Hunter Pence
4. Ian Desmond
5. Adrian Gonzalez

AL

1. Steve Delabar
2. Koji Uehara
3. David Robertson
4. Joaquin Benoit
5. Tanner Scheppers

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I would want Puig over Hanley as I believe the ASG is a marketing event.

I didn't ask if you wanted Hanley over Puig, I asked would you put Hanley into the ASG, regardless of whether Puig makes it or not.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I would want Puig over Hanley as I believe the ASG is a marketing event.

Bingo. It's a grandiose exhibition game that added HFA to artificially inject some relevance. A knee-jerk reaction in response to criticism Selig garnered after the 2002 ASG tie fiasco.

Exhibition game, non-exhibition game - whatever you want to label it - a marketing event is what it truly is. ATM, Puig is what's interesting to non-baseball junkies and should be included in the game to help promote MLB.

Puig is exciting.. The game needs excitement..

Adam wainwright doesn't want to play..
Derek Jeter is racking up votes..

We will see 20 players pull themselves because they hurt themselves pulling themselves..

Until the player base takes it seriously why should we? Let the kid XXXX off and let him have fun and let me watch the fun and let me sing songs of me watching his fun.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
What's up with the voting conspiracy about teams from opposite leagues telling their fans to vote for the other leagues guys & vice versa to get there guy in???

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
What's up with the voting conspiracy about teams from opposite leagues telling their fans to vote for the other leagues guys & vice versa to get there guy in???

What's up with ESPN and every other news outlet panhandling puig and trying to force him into the game?

Basically MLB and ESPN accused Toronto and Atlanta of collusion because they ran a joint campaign to get Freeman and whoever it is from Toronto in on the fan vote. If the news networks can shamelessly promote Puig then two teams can work together to get their boys in. There is no conspiracy.

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
What's up with ESPN and every other news outlet panhandling puig and trying to force him into the game?

from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I agree, in my opinion, ESPN is difficult to watch anymore. Puig shouldn't be in the All Star Game, he simply hasn't earned it. Granted he has made an early impression and put up great stats for a very short period of time. It is likely that he will have an opportunity to make many All Star Game appearances, but his MLB body of work this year is not enough to warrant an invite.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ

Basically MLB and ESPN accused Toronto and Atlanta of collusion because they ran a joint campaign to get Freeman and whoever it is from Toronto in on the fan vote. If the news networks can shamelessly promote Puig then two teams can work together to get their boys in. There is no conspiracy.

I didn't even realize there was uproar over this. Since the Final Vote was implemented AL and NL teams have gotten together to vote each other's guy in. Each team's announcers have promoted it during games, I remember there being hashtags on twitter for the pair of players last season, and a bunch of other promotion for an NL/AL pair. I don't see the issue with Atlanta and Toronto doing what's been done for the last few years.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
I didn't even realize there was uproar over this. Since the Final Vote was implemented AL and NL teams have gotten together to vote each other's guy in. Each team's announcers have promoted it during games, I remember there being hashtags on twitter for the pair of players last season, and a bunch of other promotion for an NL/AL pair. I don't see the issue with Atlanta and Toronto doing what's been done for the last few years.

Last year didn't have Puig. MLB wants him in that game something awful.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
While some will take this as a personal knock/shot, it truly isn't meant that way. The OP and others who have posted would obviously want Puig in the All-Star Game. They are all about prospects. I am not saying that as a bad thing, but that's what they are mainly into. Just like if a Reds player were a finalist, most deserving or not, I would support them. That's my team.

In the end, I couldn't care less about the All-Star Game. It doesn't mean XXXX. If fans didn't get to pick who played, maybe I would put more stock into it. I know that it means something to some players and I understand that. Honestly, it says something positive about players who are multi-time All-Stars, but I don't think it says anything negative about a player who is not. Not being popular (or basically pimped by ESPN and other such worthless outlets) doesn't mean a player isn't good/great.

Members online

Latest posts