Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which would you rather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
As a player collector, I'm constantly on the hunt for rare cards I don't have. Sometimes, I'll run into proof/backdoored/replacement cards of serial #'ed cards that don't have the serial number.

Let say you run into a the 1998 Donruss Crusade red card. The regular version which is #'ed to /25 or one that is missing the serial number? The odds are likely that the un-numbered version is probably considerably rarer.

One is recognized by Beckett as rare where the other version is not recognized.

Which would you rather own?

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
For something as gnarly as a Crusade Red, I don't think it would matter.

It's like catching Bigfoot and realizing he only has 4 fingers on one hand. It wouldn't matter in the slightest.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
For something as gnarly as a Crusade Red, I don't think it would matter.

It's like catching Bigfoot and realizing he only has 4 fingers on one hand. It wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Haha - Very well said!

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Rather - non serial number

As a player collector, I'm constantly on the hunt for rare cards I don't have. Sometimes, I'll run into proof/backdoored/replacement cards of serial #'ed cards that don't have the serial number.

Let say you run into a the 1998 Donruss Crusade red card. The regular version which is #'ed to /25 or one that is missing the serial number? The odds are likely that the un-numbered version is probably considerably rarer.

One is recognized by Beckett as rare where the other version is not recognized.

Which would you rather own?

As a player collector I'd personally rather own the card that is missing the serial number. Don't really care if some company doesn't recognize it. Remember there are still 25 of the same cards out there to search for...

Jul 22, 2016
I would like the numbered one. I think its just the legitimacy factor. What happens if 50 more unnumbered reds come out? With the legitimate card you will not have the worry. None of us know how many of these backdoor cards were put into the marketplace. Thats just my opinion and im sure there are lots who would want the unnumbered instead.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Pack inserted, I know that the sheet cut or replacement items are more rare but they are just fillers in the event you are missing the Real-Deal Holyfield

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Does this have anything to do with the 1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor unnumbered Proofs that were listed the other day... I saw someone snatched up the Canseco and Dunn versions already. :p

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Does this have anything to do with the 1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor unnumbered Proofs that were listed the other day... I saw someone snatched up the Canseco and Dunn versions already. :p
Looks like the Clark was listed and sold too. I never saw it while live, but would have been interested at $100. My answer to the collection is serial # one is preference. I would / have paid decent money for the the serial numbered Gold Ref, Star Rubies and some of the other items where the unnumbered has been offered. My "I'd buy the unnumbered one" percentage would be like 25% of the pack issued. And although the Clark 98 BChrome GAR /5 wasn't one of the players cut from that sheet, I know I'd pay like 10% of what I would for pack one.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm mostly interested in the cards that were made to be collected (i.e. came out of a pack) vs a replacement/backdoor/whoknows. Not to say those things can't be collectable, I personally just have little to no interest in them whatsoever. I would always want an upgrade to what my brain considers "the real thing" anyway. That may be weird to some I know, just preference

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I'd probably rather have the numbers but its close. Roughly 15% of my Crusades are unnumbered iirc.... strange I haven't looked at them in a while, perhaps its the side effects of pure bliss and temporary blindness :ugeek: Phils site for Crusades is gone for good?

Last I checked boxes of 98 Donruss (which has the Canseco along with Griffey and Ripken) still seems to be a good deal for a high end gambling potential.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
That would be a tough call for me. I recently picked red, purple and green unnumbered Belle cards, but the reason I really wanted them was because they were the regular crusades design, as opposed to his CTA cards. I didn't pay much more for all 3 than I paid for the red /25, and if I had to choose between the 2 reds, I would probably only choose the numbered version because I would still hold out hope another would surface one day. Plus the fact that the unnumbered red has a refractor line. I also wouldn't be incredibly surprised if other unnumbered versions pop up in the future.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I like both! Though, I prefer those that were factory cut (damage replacement) vs. sheet cut. Sheet cuts tend to haunt Fleer/Flair and more recently chrome releases. It seems most Upper Deck NNO's did not originate as an after market sheet.
99_Ultimate1of1_GiambiF.jpg
00_LegendCCGold_GiambiF.jpg

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
That would be a tough call for me. I recently picked red, purple and green unnumbered Belle cards, but the reason I really wanted them was because they were the regular crusades design, as opposed to his CTA cards. I didn't pay much more for all 3 than I paid for the red /25, and if I had to choose between the 2 reds, I would probably only choose the numbered version because I would still hold out hope another would surface one day. Plus the fact that the unnumbered red has a refractor line. I also wouldn't be incredibly surprised if other unnumbered versions pop up in the future.

The Crusade protos are an entirely different animal since they are completely different cards. I believe it's pretty well established that no more than 2 greens, 1 purple and 1 red exist for each. Until the collection started dumping on eBay these cards were complete ghosts.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The Crusade protos are an entirely different animal since they are completely different cards. I believe it's pretty well established that no more than 2 greens, 1 purple and 1 red exist for each. Until the collection started dumping on eBay these cards were complete ghosts.
It depends, there are unnumbered ones of the cards that were actually pack issued. Plus some/all have unnumbered versions of styles that weren't issues. Plus there are the xx/100 versions of the ones that were pack issued as well.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

May 18, 2012

LOL busted! It absolutely got me to thinking about this.

There is definitely something about the pack inserted type of cards. However, for my collection, there is a certain allure to me in obtaining cards that aren't supposed to be circulated to the public.

The checklist guy side of me says serial numbered all the way, but the Indiana Jones collector side of me says no serial number? All the better!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
LOL busted! It absolutely got me to thinking about this.

There is definitely something about the pack inserted type of cards. However, for my collection, there is a certain allure to me in obtaining cards that aren't supposed to be circulated to the public.

The checklist guy side of me says serial numbered all the way, but the Indiana Jones collector side of me says no serial number? All the better!
:D It's an interesting discussion for sure. I think my viewpoint is similar to yours in that the serial number crosses off the checklist but a version missing the numbering is like addition by subtraction.

Members online