Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

***********MORNING THREAD 3/20*********

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Come on Friday , i'm ready to get new scars . First review 35 minutes on phone - tomorrow fast and only small amount of coffee , Fri / water early . Today try to have stadium set up ready to load - won't be me .

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Good morning all. Bennett was up around 3:30 this morning, which meant I watched some regular season baseball this morning. Didn't pay too much attention to it, but it was nice to see some of the game. Watching Ichiro play in Japan is something else. Hearing the crowd whenever he came up to bat or touched the ball in the outfield was pretty cool.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Afternoon all! It took me almost 11 years to get to post 900 which is funny because most people tell me I never run out of stuff to say.

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Robert. I have been a longtime lurker. I have collected mainly 1950s and 1960s baseball but lately have been hitting my favorite decade, the 1980s, really hard! Thank you to Joey for helping me get things cleared up so I could post.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Robert. I have been a longtime lurker. I have collected mainly 1950s and 1960s baseball but lately have been hitting my favorite decade, the 1980s, really hard! Thank you to Joey for helping me get things cleared up so I could post.

NP welcome aboard

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc

team / player ?

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
As far as current MLB goes, I am a Cardinals fan. In 50s and 60s baseball collecting, I have built a couple of sets and collected the usual HOFers. Lately, I have drifted back to collecting my 80s childhood stars like Strawberry, Mattingly, Ripken, Gwynn, etc. Plain and simple, I LOVE baseball and its history. It will always be #1 for me!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
As far as current MLB goes, I am a Cardinals fan. In 50s and 60s baseball collecting, I have built a couple of sets and collected the usual HOFers. Lately, I have drifted back to collecting my 80s childhood stars like Strawberry, Mattingly, Ripken, Gwynn, etc. Plain and simple, I LOVE baseball and its history. It will always be #1 for me!!

Welcome!!
What sets have you built?

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
Welcome!!
What sets have you built?
I built the 1953 and 1954 Topps sets, each of which are vgex-ex. There are others that I started and built into large partials but sold..like 1965 Topps. I just never have been able to part with 1953 and 1954 Topps sets. They are two of my favorites, and for a budget collector like me they were major accomplishments. I have some random 50s star cards, but I am shrinking my collection to do some non-card related stuff. I recently bought a pickup, and I am having a garage built for it using some card funds. My wife (an accountant) is pretty impressed right now. So there's something to be said for that!

For a while, I was on a 1960s football kick. During that time I accumulated a 1965 Topps Tallboy set which is all SGC graded, a 1966 Topps football set which is all graded except for the last 15 or so, a 1960 Fleer set, and partials of 1965 and 1966 Philadelphia (130 something/198 each). The 65 is a mixture of graded and raw, the 66 is almost all SGC graded.

I also have a few game worn/autographed San Diego Chargers items. And there was a photography phase, too. I have been all over the place!

But of all my items, my favorites are my 80s items I have acquired over the course of this last year. Last Spring, I went on a run of 80s set buying...too many to name! They all reside in binders and are all at least NM or better. My favorite was a really nice 1984 Fleer Update set. Born in 1973, I was a child of the 80s, and that set was unattainable for me. I was so happy to get it!! This Spring, I am losing my mind buying PSA 9 1980s rookies. Some I already have in raw sets, but I love them and am happy to have a graded duplicate! It is so much fun buying Strawberry rookies, Mattinglys, Griffeys, Ripkens, etc. Most of them I can get at a pretty affordable price.

So, I guess I have gone backwards. Conventional wisdom says collectors "mature" and work their way back to the 1950s and then back to tobacco cards (had a prewar phase, didn't care for it). I have collected 50s and 60s for years, chasing legends I have only read about or heard about or saw highlights of but never saw for myself. These players are wonderful, but I increasingly became numb to them.

My two collecting goals for this year are: 1. Get back to having fun with this hobby and buy what I really like and what matters to me--80s stars. 2. Spend less on the hobby---again 80s stars.

This is waaaaay longer than I ever intended. Thanks for reading.

I am so happy to be apart of FCB! I have watched for at least a year and have started my day, every day with reading the Good Morning thread. I feel like I know you guys. I really appreciate how friendly and cordial everyone is to each other here. I hope to contribute and participate as time goes on. I also will share some scans of my collection over time.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Robert

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I built the 1953 and 1954 Topps sets, each of which are vgex-ex. There are others that I started and built into large partials but sold..like 1965 Topps. I just never have been able to part with 1953 and 1954 Topps sets. They are two of my favorites, and for a budget collector like me they were major accomplishments. I have some random 50s star cards, but I am shrinking my collection to do some non-card related stuff. I recently bought a pickup, and I am having a garage built for it using some card funds. My wife (an accountant) is pretty impressed right now. So there's something to be said for that!

For a while, I was on a 1960s football kick. During that time I accumulated a 1965 Topps Tallboy set which is all SGC graded, a 1966 Topps football set which is all graded except for the last 15 or so, a 1960 Fleer set, and partials of 1965 and 1966 Philadelphia (130 something/198 each). The 65 is a mixture of graded and raw, the 66 is almost all SGC graded.

I also have a few game worn/autographed San Diego Chargers items. And there was a photography phase, too. I have been all over the place!

But of all my items, my favorites are my 80s items I have acquired over the course of this last year. Last Spring, I went on a run of 80s set buying...too many to name! They all reside in binders and are all at least NM or better. My favorite was a really nice 1984 Fleer Update set. Born in 1973, I was a child of the 80s, and that set was unattainable for me. I was so happy to get it!! This Spring, I am losing my mind buying PSA 9 1980s rookies. Some I already have in raw sets, but I love them and am happy to have a graded duplicate! It is so much fun buying Strawberry rookies, Mattinglys, Griffeys, Ripkens, etc. Most of them I can get at a pretty affordable price.

So, I guess I have gone backwards. Conventional wisdom says collectors "mature" and work their way back to the 1950s and then back to tobacco cards (had a prewar phase, didn't care for it). I have collected 50s and 60s for years, chasing legends I have only read about or heard about or saw highlights of but never saw for myself. These players are wonderful, but I increasingly became numb to them.

My two collecting goals for this year are: 1. Get back to having fun with this hobby and buy what I really like and what matters to me--80s stars. 2. Spend less on the hobby---again 80s stars.

This is waaaaay longer than I ever intended. Thanks for reading.

I am so happy to be apart of FCB! I have watched for at least a year and have started my day, every day with reading the Good Morning thread. I feel like I know you guys. I really appreciate how friendly and cordial everyone is to each other here. I hope to contribute and participate as time goes on. I also will share some scans of my collection over time.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Robert

Impressive! You have gone through phases, which I think is a fairly normal thing!!! Your two Topps sets pre-date mine, as I have the 1955-65 run of sets, plus my birth year of 1951 Topps red & blue backs and the 1951 Bowman set. I highly approve of your collecting goals for the year, especially #1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts