Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
As a Giants fan who lives in Fresno I think it stinks that the Giants decided to move the AAA team to Sacramento, but to have Dusty Baker rub salt on the wound, man if I didn't like the guy after the 2002 World Series I really don't now....from an e-mail sent out by the Sacramento River Cats, the new AAA affiliate. "At the press conference this morning, Dusty Baker shared that he has been pushing the Giants to make this move for some time. Well Dusty, maybe you should become a lobbyist because they listened."

Hope the Sacramento area can get used to a losing AAA team, the Grizzlies haven't been in the post season since 1998, their first year in Fresno, while the River Cats consistantly are near the top or on top of the PCL standings. But hey, the bright side is Fresno now has the Astros AAA team here..YAY!

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Hope the Sacramento area can get used to a losing AAA team, the Grizzlies haven't been in the post season since 1998, their first year in Fresno, while the River Cats consistantly are near the top or on top of the PCL standings. But hey, the bright side is Fresno now has the Astros AAA team here..YAY!

I'm excited. :D

I don't really care about how much they win. I just like the idea of going to a local baseball game and seeing players who I actually care about seeing. That, plus a lot more local newspaper coverage of Giants farmhands.

Of course, the one downside of going to Rivercats games now is that if my kids start melting down in the 3nd inning, I might be a little more hesitant to leave. ;)

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
As a Giants fan who lives in Fresno I think it stinks that the Giants decided to move the AAA team to Sacramento, but to have Dusty Baker rub salt on the wound, man if I didn't like the guy after the 2002 World Series I really don't now....from an e-mail sent out by the Sacramento River Cats, the new AAA affiliate. "At the press conference this morning, Dusty Baker shared that he has been pushing the Giants to make this move for some time. Well Dusty, maybe you should become a lobbyist because they listened."

Im a diehard giant fan. I loved having the giants here, even as a single A team. I saw will clark come up in the mid 80's and then I saw no one until Matt Cain. The giants had a drought of minor league talent in the late 90's they instead chased aging vets and let their farm dry up. We saw some miserable prospects..Jesse foppert, Todd linden, Fred Lewis....terrible. I think Pedro Feliz was the prize product from our farm.
Then starting in 2004 we saw Cain, then Timmy, then bumgarner, then posey, then Belt, now panik. Fresno had a nice run of talent over the last 10 years. I'm glad we saw the core of this franchise come up. I predict now that the core is established and pretty young the farm will again go dry. The giants will again focus on keeping the core together and neglect the minors...at least position players. There may be a few arms that will develop, that's the giants strength.
I don't give a damn about the Astros but they have a glut of young talent all throughout their farm. Fresno will get to see a lot more future mlb guys with the Astros over the next 10 years as opposed to the giants. The Astros are loaded and they will be fun to watch. If you really miss the mark mincozzis that the grizzlies offer they will return to chuk many times. We can still catch them 10 times or so. That's good enough for me. The Astros are sending future all stars to fresno I'm going to enjoy the ride.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Dodger magic number to clinch the division is 3, so they just need to win 2 out of 3 at home vs the quickly fading Giants to, as one of the Giants beat writers put it, dance on the Giants heads.

It's going to take one of those wild miracles for the Giants to make any sort of dent in October, if they even get there.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
For your Giants collection, do you think Bowman Chrome Orange refractors get style points over other color refractors with lower print-runs?

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I've read that Ishikawa will be playing left field for the Wild Card game.

Here's a guess at our lineup (with career numbers vs Volquez):

1) Blanco (CF) (22 pa, .263/.364/.263)
2) Panik (2b) (0 pa)
3) Posey (C) (12 pa, .556/.583/.778)
4) Panda (3b) (13 pa, .462/.462/.692)
5) Pence (RF) (41 pa, .194/.293/.556)
6) Belt (1b) (18 pa, .444/.444/.667)
7) Ishikawa (LF) (6 pa, .250/.500/.250)
8) Crawford (SS) (20 pa, .150/.150/.150)
9) Bumgarner (P) (5 pa, .250/.250/.250)

Some of the Giants piled up numbers on Volquez last year when he sucked with the Padres.

A fun bit of trivia.... the Reds traded Josh Hamilton (after his surprising 1st year) to get Volquez. Volquez rewarded the Reds with a 17-6 and 3.21 era season. It went south after that as Volquez added a run to his ERA over the next few seasons and Hamilton became a mega-star in Texas.

npa589

Jan 25, 2011
As a Cubs fan, I, as usual, have no direct interest in this year's playoffs. :) Any team with a player with the great name of Angel Pagan, however, is a team I can root for, especially when said player used to be a Cubbie.

As long as the flippin' Cardinals don't win, I'll be satisfied. I hate them. Good luck Giant fans, consider me jealous!

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Here's the roster for the win-or-die game tonight...

link

Pitchers (10): Jeremy Affeldt, Madison Bumgarner (starting), Santiago Casilla, Tim Lincecum, Javier Lopez, Jean Machi, Jake Peavy, Yusmieor Petit, Sergio Romo, Hunter Strickland.
Catchers (3): Buster Posey, Andrew Susac, Guillermo Quiroz.
Infielders (7): Joaquin Arias, Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Matt Duffy, Adam Duvall, Joe Panik, Pablo Sandoval.
Outfielders (5): Gregor Blanco, Gary Brown, Travis Ishikawa, Hunter Pence, Juan Perez.

NOT on the roster (who played in September):
Pitchers: Brett Bochy, Erik Cordier, Juan Gutierrez, Chris Heston, Tim Hudson, Mike Kickham, George Kontos, Ryan Vogelsong
Outfielders: Chris Dominguez, Mike Morse

I'm not optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
whoa, a little surprised that Kontos isn't there. I would almost argue that we not have Quiroz and add Kontos.

LOL, they didn't end up needing any other pitchers.

What a way to start the playoffs. I figured the Giants needed a huge game out of MadBum to get the momentum going, and they got it.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
LOL, they didn't end up needing any other pitchers.

What a way to start the playoffs. I figured the Giants needed a huge game out of MadBum to get the momentum going, and they got it.

That was fun - I hope it is just just a start - there is something about going into the playoffs as an underdog!

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
What were the Pirates fans chanting in the bottom of the 7th?

In the Chronicle today they said the chant was "Cue-to! Cue-to!" - I guess they were trying to get to MadBum and see if he could fall apart like Cueto did last year.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Tim Hudson: "Obviously they have a talented group over there, there’s no question. They have some great pitching. But come playoff time, talent can take you a long ways, but what do you have between your legs? That’s going to take you real far. And I think we've got a group in here that really has some of that."

I don't think that we need to be giving the Nats bulletin board material.

The Nats were the team that ushered in the 2 month nose-dive the Giants went through that resulted in a 9.5 game division lead getting undone.

Being that last night was the first time in Hudson's career that he celebrated advancing in the playoffs, maybe he things the 2014 Giants have more "balls" than any team he's ever been on?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts