Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What current ML pitchers could become full time hitters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
So I was daydreaming about baseball this morning and thought of that question. Essentially if any pitcher in baseball was to never pitch again and only focus on hitting, which pitcher do you think could make a big league club as a hitter? (Let's assume their defensive ability has no bearing on whether they make the team, just their bat) Explain why you think so. The answer could be 'none', but I would find it hard to believe with how athletic the pitchers are in today's game that none would be able to become a full time hitter.

I don't really get to watch the NL often so I have no clue which pitchers are capable with the bat. I know when I used to watch Sportcenter they always showed Zambrano clubbing' one over the fence (does he play anymore?) and I think I've read on here before that Matt Cain was decent at the plate. That's all I know.

And if anyone has any cards of ML pitchers pictured as a hitter in the batters box or w/e, feel free to show those. That would be neat to see.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I haven't seen enough to make a firm choice, but Kershaw has some pop.

This notice is required by law.
Yeah now that you mention it I think I did see him get a hit in the playoffs. I wasn't sure if he was known as a good hitting pitcher or not. I suppose he has a good hitter build because of his strong legs. Do you think if he gave up pitching :)?) he could make the Dodgers lineup in a year or two after spending time in AA/AAA working with a hitting coach?

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
Micah Owings was a pitcher for the Dbacks, now he is in the process of becoming an OF. Watch the highlights from a game he played in against the Braves, he had 2 HR (I think) and a double.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Zach Greinke hit .328 with a .409 on base percentage last season.
He led all MLB pitchers in batting average, hits, OBP, and stolen bases.
He was the first Dodgers pitxher since 1919 to have an on base percentage over .400.

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Zach Greinke hit .328 with a .409 on base percentage.
He led all MLB pitchers in batting average, hits, OBP, and stolen bases.
He was the first Dodgers pitxher since 1919 to have an on base percentage over .400.
I just saw that when I was looking at some blogs. Incredible for a pitcher to have that high of an OBP, even though it's a small sample size. Based on that, I'd think he would be a good candidate to be a full-time hitter. Some pitchers can hit OK but most can not lay off the pitches out of the zone, but I'd say [based on stats] Grienke has the patience needed to be a full-timer.

Zambrano could always hit.

Love that card! Zambrano is one pitcher I did know was a good hitter. Just checked his stats and saw he is still pitching in the bigs, although not as effectively as he used to. With his career winding down as a pitcher do you think he might try to make the switch to hitting to lengthen his career?

Micah Owings was a pitcher for the Dbacks, now he is in the process of becoming an OF. Watch the highlights from a game he played in against the Braves, he had 2 HR (I think) and a double.
Very cool, I'm now interested in seeing if he can fully make the transition and become productive over a full season of ABs. EDIT: Just checked his career stats and if you put those #'s over a full season he has the potential to hit 20 HRs and hit 30 2Bs. Wow. Best of luck to him!

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Gallardo is one of the most consistent hitting pitchers in the NL. Batting average aside, most NL pitchers know he's not the easiest to pitch around.

I know Sabathia loved to hit, and I think if he gave up on pitching (as was your original question), he could be a decent bench bat with some power (maybe Matt Stairs-esque).

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Andrew Cashner was a pretty good hitter for the Pads last year. He even pinch hit a few times when he wasn't starting.

In terms of cards depicting pitchers hitting this is the only one I found in my PC.

kawakami_010_zps12527f94.jpg

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

Owings was a power hitting 1b, with a high average, in college. Should've stayed on the offensive side of the ball in the majors.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Owings was a power hitting 1b, with a high average, in college. Should've stayed on the offensive side of the ball in the majors.
I was wondering that, because he only pitched in the minors. That makes sense. If he had never pitched he might be a real decent everyday player, who knows. Interesting to think about.

Andrew Cashner was a pretty good hitter for the Pads last year. He even pinch hit a few times when he wasn't starting.

In terms of cards depicting pitchers hitting this is the only one I found in my PC.

kawakami_010_zps12527f94.jpg
Awesome card! I see Cashner had 2 SBs last year, always neat to see pitchers steal a base. (I'm sure fans of NL teams cringe when a star pitcher attempts a steal, lol!)

Gallardo is one of the most consistent hitting pitchers in the NL. Batting average aside, most NL pitchers know he's not the easiest to pitch around.

I know Sabathia loved to hit, and I think if he gave up on pitching (as was your original question), he could be a decent bench bat with some power (maybe Matt Stairs-esque).
I could see Sabathia being a good hitter but he might now have the power he used to because he has lost a lot of weight over the past could years. Just checked Gallardo's stats and seems like he is definitely comfortable being in the batter' box. Is he the pitcher who occasionally batted 8th in the lineup? I read somewhere that there was a pitcher who sometimes would bat 8th and his stats might suggest he is the one.

marterburn

The batting 8th thing was more strategic that a statement on the hitting ability of the pitcher.

I think the Cardinals did it a bunch a few years ago then it was sporadically copied more recently.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Adam Loewen has spent the last several years in the Minors as an outfielder.

Hit .270 with 15 HR for New Hampshire last year.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
The batting 8th thing was more strategic that a statement on the hitting ability of the pitcher.

I think the Cardinals did it a bunch a few years ago then it was sporadically copied more recently.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Good to see you around, Max. I'm curious (and pardon my ignorance, I watch the AL) what is the strategy behind batting a pitcher 8th? I know the #8 guys will get pitched around in order to get to a pitcher, but if a pitcher is 8th then the 7th guy gets pitched around. That doesn't seem beneficial to do so. Say the pitcher is the last out of the inning then next inning the #9 guy is leadoff instead of the #1 guy. I might be missing something obvious, but I do know there is a lot of strategy going on in an NL game with the double switches, etc....

marterburn

Good to see you around, Max. I'm curious (and pardon my ignorance, I watch the AL) what is the strategy behind batting a pitcher 8th? I know the #8 guys will get pitched around in order to get to a pitcher, but if a pitcher is 8th then the 7th guy gets pitched around. That doesn't seem beneficial to do so. Say the pitcher is the last out of the inning then next inning the #9 guy is leadoff instead of the #1 guy. I might be missing something obvious, but I do know there is a lot of strategy going on in an NL game with the double switches, etc....

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/is-larussa-right-to-bat-his-pitcher-in-the-eight-slot/

Article from 2007. Basically the theory is that its so the 9 hitter has a better chance of being on base for the 2-4 hitters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/is-larussa-right-to-bat-his-pitcher-in-the-eight-slot/

Article from 2007. Basically the theory is that its so the 9 hitter has a better chance of being on base for the 2-4 hitters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Thanks for the link, I skimmed through it but will read the whole article later on.

That definitely makes sense seeing that. Not only does he have a better chance of getting on base for the top of the order, but if he gets on he will be able to run the bases more efficiently than the pitcher would. Not a bad idea at all. Maybe teams could take it to another level and bat the #9 guy 7th, pitcher 8th, and the #7 guy 9th because the guy batting 7th will be pitched around regardless for the most part. I might be over thinking it now, lol...

Members online

Latest posts