Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Five Star is a JOKE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I think the biggest fail of the product is that I can pick up a /25 jumbo relic (GU or not) of Upton for $6.50 ... out of a $500 pack. Well, fail for Topps. Fail for whoever ripped. Win for me!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a collector, I agree with you I'd love to know the exact game my item came from. As a huge company like Topps, I'd definitely want to cover my ass and plus when they buy the stuff they don't even know which games some of it comes from (some of it I'm sure is event worn/used not game worn/used), but nonetheless it makes sense for them to cover themselves from lawsuit

I hear ya but I just want it to be game used. It was great that companies like Donruss had an actual picture of the jersey it came from or had things like the opening day game bases. But I don't need it to be from a specific game. I just want it to be from any game but a game nonetheless.

My point about the added value there is in specifying which game is something companies can either do or not do at their own discretion. It's more costly so I can see them not doing it all the time. But I guarantee if they did choose to do it with a product, you'd notice a lot of interest for it. More could be charged per pack too.

I think the biggest issue these days with the price of packs versus ROI is that gu is damn near dead unless it's super sick and even the , with new ones released every year, it's still killing prices. Autos are slowly dropping too unless the athlete has passed or doesn't sign much. It's starting get to where you will buy a box and you have to think to yourself "What can I possibly pull out of here that could even get me to break even?". And the answer already is : not much.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I hear ya but I just want it to be game used. It was great that companies like Donruss had an actual picture of the jersey it came from or had things like the opening day game bases. But I don't need it to be from a specific game. I just want it to be from any game but a game nonetheless.

My point about the added value there is in specifying which game is something companies can either do or not do at their own discretion. It's more costly so I can see them not doing it all the time. But I guarantee if they did choose to do it with a product, you'd notice a lot of interest for it. More could be charged per pack too.

I think the biggest issue these days with the price of packs versus ROI is that gu is damn near dead unless it's super sick and even the , with new ones released every year, it's still killing prices. Autos are slowly dropping too unless the athlete has passed or doesn't sign much. It's starting get to where you will buy a box and you have to think to yourself "What can I possibly pull out of here that could even get me to break even?". And the answer already is : not much.

I hear ya as well, and that's why I don't break anymore because the odds of pulling something for let's say $300 that I couldn't buy on eBay for $300 is very small. As a strictly high end game used and auto collector on one hand the nice cards are more easily accessible on the other hand the stuff I have is severely dropping in value. There was a time when I got my first Cobb bat for $80, now it's worth maybe half. Just a couple years ago I purchased a Koufax auto for $250 and was offered as high as $400 now I wouldn't get $175 and it's stupid. Certainly if a company could specify which game the product was used in that would certainly get me to pay a premium and might even revive some game used stuff but I don't think that's feasible for more than a few current players. And the cards damn well better be game or at the least event used; if it's a wooden bat topps bought from the sports authority then I would sue them immediately

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I hear ya as well, and that's why I don't break anymore because the odds of pulling something for let's say $300 that I couldn't buy on eBay for $300 is very small. As a strictly high end game used and auto collector on one hand the nice cards are more easily accessible on the other hand the stuff I have is severely dropping in value. There was a time when I got my first Cobb bat for $80, now it's worth maybe half. Just a couple years ago I purchased a Koufax auto for $250 and was offered as high as $400 now I wouldn't get $175 and it's stupid. Certainly if a company could specify which game the product was used in that would certainly get me to pay a premium and might even revive some game used stuff but I don't think that's feasible for more than a few current players. And the cards damn well better be game or at the least event used; if it's a wooden bat topps bought from the sports authority then I would sue them immediately

Joking as you are, something makes me feel that soon, some of these companies will be in fact facing exactly that kind of a law suit.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Joking as you are, something makes me feel that soon, some of these companies will be in fact facing exactly that kind of a law suit.

If this in fact is the case and it can be proven, we stand to gain a lot more monetarily on a lawsuit than we would through selling what our cards are worth at today's prices. Unfortunately, the hobby would be killed

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
If this in fact is the case and it can be proven, we stand to gain a lot more monetarily on a lawsuit than we would through selling what our cards are worth at today's prices. Unfortunately, the hobby would be killed

Maybe it needs to happen to help some of these companies understand that if you are going to produce something, it should at least be what it says it is. There is no reason to lie. All they need to do if the product is to be made is work with what they have. Try not to bite off more than they can chew. But people get greedy when money gets involved.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Sure it would be killed for those who think GU is important and is really GU. For the rest of us GU and cards are two different things -with GU "just" being added to a card.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Uh, that would be a big negative. Most collectors just want it to actually be game used. Besides, anything from a specific game could add value to the product and just drive demand. This would be a win win for any card company.

Panini did this in their 2011 Timeless Treasures football--game dated memorabilia in the cards. Pretty cool, but it didn't do squat for the overall product and I haven't seen it in another product since.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
It actually isn't missing anything. It actually says not from any season, event, or game and that's it. No use of the word specific.

Sent from my PC36100 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

this would be the first set. Can we see a scan of the back of the card please?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Panini did this in their 2011 Timeless Treasures football--game dated memorabilia in the cards. Pretty cool, but it didn't do squat for the overall product and I haven't seen it in another product since.

All you can do is try to support product lines like this. They may not last but at least you voiced your opinion with your wallet.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
this would be the first set. Can we see a scan of the back of the card please?

Original poster is spot on accurate, just like he posted it. I saw it on the back of the card myself and just laughed. It's basically telling us some guy working at Topps used it during a Co-Ed Softball Game. Still doesn't affect what I will pay for the card, still a Clark card I need, so I didn't even really pay attention to the dime a dozen relic piece on the card. It's probably crap, like most other game used cards, they are just explicitly telling us.

l.jpg

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
How do we know ANYTHING is game used? Buy what you like.

Until it's proven that these cards are NOT event/game/whatever used, they will have a secondary market. Supply and demand dictate that typical game used cards, and in some cases, even autographs, aren't worth a hill of beans.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Original poster is spot on accurate, just like he posted it. I saw it on the back of the card myself and just laughed. It's basically telling us some guy working at Topps used it during a Co-Ed Softball Game. Still doesn't affect what I will pay for the card, still a Clark card I need, so I didn't even really pay attention to the dime a dozen relic piece on the card. It's probably crap, like most other game used cards, they are just explicitly telling us.

l.jpg

Wow this is SO sad

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama

l.jpg

So, according to this wording, the relic is manufactured? If it's not from ANY season, game, or event, that's the only thing that is left.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So, according to this wording, the relic is manufactured? If it's not from ANY season, game, or event, that's the only thing that is left.

Yea, seriously!??!! Is this a typo by Topps? If it isn't, then the statement is a fact and not a disclaimer.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I stand corrected. I think they used to have the word "specific" in them, didn't they?

Now, the front of the card does day "game-worn," so this prediction

It's basically telling us some guy working at Topps used it during a Co-Ed Softball Game.
may be accurate.

Latest posts