Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

'80s Style Brawl tonight! McGwire, Mattingly, Gibson, Trammell, Williams, Baylor... and Puig!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
they don't need Greinke or Puig on the DL right now.

I bet Puig goes to the DL anyway - because of the stumble running out an infield groundout plus what Dodger with an injury hasn't landed on the DL this year????

just keeps the Albuquerque/LA shuttle busy and exciting, IMHO, and a good reason to listen to Dodgertalk to find out who might be coming or going from the Isotopes because of the latest dodger injury.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I think its funny when fans of two teams go at it and call each other idiots.

A 10 game suspension for hitting a player in the head plus immediate ejection would keep this happening. I get why players are so upset, a fastball to the wrong part of the head can end a career...or a life....

But....the bench clearing machismo is old and tired to me. I just don't see the need for it...no matter how mad you are.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
"Are you not entertained?" -MA

I certainly was. Love brawls, love when players show true emotion, love when coaches have their players back, love seeing a couple of former roiders square up, love old school baseball, what more can you ask for?

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
In the video you can see mattingly coming out of the dugout and asks the catcher if it was intentional the catcher nods and Donny goes off.

Roll Dodgers

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I wish Mac would've ripped his jacked & jersey and did the nWo point as Canseco, Cadillac, Eck and Hendo rolled out from the bullpen :p

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: '80s Style Brawl tonight! McG, Mattingly, Gibson, Trammell, Williams, Baylor... and Puig!

I wish Mac would've ripped his jacked & jersey and did the nWo point as Canseco, Cadillac, Eck and Hendo rolled out from the bullpen :p

Nwo4L

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
In the entire fracas, which I only watched twice, I only seen one player throw a punch. And that was Puig, I believe around the 2:30 mark in the video.

why are you guys giving McGwire a hard time? He didn't instigate it. Juan Uribe was the one who got it riled up in my opinion.

You mean because Kennedy accidentally hit him? Greinke deserved that one, and McGwire deserves one himself. Lay off the roids Big Mac. Too many annoying players on this Dodger team, they may be passing the Giants in my most hated book.

Don't really blame anyone but McGwire in all of this. Puig got hit on accident, then both sides got an intentional one in. All good. But McGwire should show a little restraint and set a better example for his team.

Mac was sticking up for his TEAM.::facepalm:: and was not worrying about "setting examples" and idiotic comments like the ones you posted regarding setting examples for his team. He showed a great example which was "STICK UP FOR YOUR TEAMATES". it's an unwritten rule and former players know it best. YOU DO NOT THROW AT THE HEAD. McGwire knows that pretty well. David Cone hit him in the head in 95' and he missed the entire all star weekend. Their careers' at stake.

LOL....I was thinking the same exact thing. He was pissed because one of the guys he has bonded with got hit. I would be pissed to. Roid rage...come on....That's just stupid talk.

100% agree. I will assume that it's little kids on here posting the roid rage comments and know absolutely nothing about the integral part of the game when it comes to players sticking up for teamates when they get hit in the head.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Lame benching clearing (please dont call it a) brawl. Those teams should have come arm swinging. Throwing at guys heads deserves legitimate blows not that push fest.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
UPDATE:

ESPN -- Major League Baseball today came down hard on the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks, handing out eight suspensions and a dozen fines as punishment for a bench-clearing brawl.

Arizona pitcher Ian Kennedy was suspended 10 games and infielder Eric Hinske five games for their roles in Tuesday's fight.

Kennedy's suspension is the longest handed out by the league for on-field conduct since Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was handed a 10-game suspension for an incident with White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski on May 20, 2006.

Kennedy is appealing the decision, pointing to his track record as proof he's not a troublemaker.

Hinske is also appealing and put most of the blame on Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig, who was right in the middle of things but received only a fine.

"I've been a model citizen in this league for 12 years," Hinske said. "And then there's Puig, who's been in the league for 12 days and he gets no games. So you tell me what's right."

Belisario served a one-game suspension Friday night for "aggressive actions" while Dodgers reliever J.P. Howell and infielder Skip Schumaker appealed the two-game suspensions they received from MLB senior vice president Joe Garagiola Jr.

Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly and Arizona's Kirk Gibson were given one-game bans, while Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire must sit two games. Bench coach Trey Hillman filled in for Mattingly on Friday night when Los Angeles played at Pittsburgh, while Arizona bench coach Alan Trammell took over for Gibson in San Diego.

All eight who were handed suspensions were also fined, as were Puig, Greinke, Arizona catcher Miguel Montero and Diamondbacks outfielder Gerardo Parra.

The players appealing the ruling will be able to play until after hearings and final decisions.

Latest posts