Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions on this 1991 Topps Desert Shield card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I posted this question a few years back on a different Site with no clear concrete answer. About 9 years ago I bought a former O'neill collectors complete collection from him. One of the cards unearthed was a 1991 Topps Desert Shield card of Paul O'neill. I have a few in my collection but this one has the word COPY on back. I know there were counterfeits of these cards but why would the word Copy be on the back. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
oneilldesert.jpg

image-34.jpg

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Show a scan of the front. Most likely it is a counterfeit. There were several counterfeits in the 1990s that dealers started stamping as such...presumably so they could keep selling them at shows.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Show a scan of the front. Most likely it is a counterfeit. There were several counterfeits in the 1990s that dealers started stamping as such...presumably so they could keep selling them at shows.
The front is added. Thanks.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I never compared it to the others I have in my collection. I will keep it for a conversation piece of course. I do remember there where ways to spot fakes, something about the foil seal going past the card border. I was in the Navy from 1990-93 and even did a West PAC tour in the gulf and I didn't hear about these cards until I came home. A co-worker had a box of these he got over there and would give one pack to the new guys that served in the military. At the time I opened my pack and I got a Griffey all star card and a Yankee. That Griffey was one of the first things I ever sold when EBay first started. Over the next few years I built a Yankee team set. I remember paying a lot for Mattingly and Carl Everette. Sometime I will have to check the authenticity of my team set.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Its a fake. On the actual card the Desert Shield logo touches both the grey and red top borders. (i.e. a little higher up on the real one) The card is probably real with a fake stamp added.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Its a fake. On the actual card the Desert Shield logo touches both the grey and red top borders. (i.e. a little higher up on the real one) The card is probably real with a fake stamp added.
This is one from my PC. Going by your description I would say this is a good one:
image-35.jpg

Latest posts