Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2019 MLB Prospect Callups Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
That was.....fast. :mrgreen:

BREAKING: #Rays are calling up Brendan McKay to start Saturday game vs. Rangers

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
And here are your top power hitting 2019 MLB prospect call ups (minimum of 150 ab) near the All-Star break:

Alonso - HR/11.0 ab
Riley - HR/11.0 ab
Eloy - HR/15.0 ab
Tatis - HR/17.0 ab
Chavis - HR/17.7 ab
Senzel - HR/26.6 ab
Vladimir - HR/27.6 ab

Note: This does not include rookies who were called up in any previous season

It was all eyes on VGJ ever since his call up and similarly to Acuna during his own age 20 rookie season, he's been hyped so hard to the point where writers are claiming he's a Hall of Famer already...but unlike Acuna, he's not yet living up to that hype. With the way recent 19-20 year old call ups such as Tatis, Acuna & Soto have been making immediate impacts it's easy to forgot that those players are the exception to the rule and that Guerrero is not a bust. I do still feel like he was overhyped but I do believe he'll become an All-Star caliber player who will finish his career with a few top-5 MVP seasons, possibly winning one too. He was only invited to the HR derby for MLB to put that hype to use and bring more viewers which is fine cuz I love the current youth movement making such an impact...but does he actually belong there based on his current power production? Not really. Does it matter that he doesn't belong? Not at all...it's just a festivity. Heck, it's not like the very best players will participate in the All-Star game so why should the Derby be any different? But while his game power has yet to show, his raw power will be put on display and that will be fun to watch.

Now, Alonso & Riley are the true power kings among the 2019 call ups. Their home runs have all been majestic and leave the stadium in a damn hurry...exit velocity + launch angle = major distance for those kids. I expect plenty of 40+ home runs from those two.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Not for nothing, but if Keston Hiura keeps going the way he is, the way Milwaukee handled his call-up (in deference to Travis Shaw), could very well have cost him a chance at ROY in the NL, even in this stacked of a year.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Not for nothing, but if Keston Hiura keeps going the way he is, the way Milwaukee handled his call-up (in deference to Travis Shaw), could very well have cost him a chance at ROY in the NL, even in this stacked of a year.

Exciting player for the Brewers for sure and fun to watch play but it certainly would have been an uphill battle for him with the likes of Alonso, Tatis Jr., and Soroka in the mix.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Exciting player for the Brewers for sure and fun to watch play but it certainly would have been an uphill battle for him with the likes of Alonso, Tatis Jr., and Soroka in the mix.

Yeah, I think Alonso has got ROY on lock if he hits 40+...voters just love rookies who can hit 40 home runs. It's like a fetish to them.

Even if a Saber-God toolsy shortstop is having just as good of a season (or better).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Patrick Weigel added. His first call.

[MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION] [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah, I think Alonso has got ROY on lock if he hits 40+...voters just love rookies who can hit 40 home runs. It's like a fetish to them.

Even if a Saber-God toolsy shortstop is having just as good of a season (or better).

If Tatis goes on a tear and got 30/25 while keeping the average over .320 I think it'll be a closer race than people think, even if Alonso does hit 40+.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Luis Urias recalled. :mrgreen:

And he's not the only Padre to get the call tonight.

Dennis Lin @dennistlin
Adrian Morejon will join Luis Urías in Chicago tomorrow, sources tell The Athletic. Morejon, who has thrown seven consecutive hitless innings in Double A, will work out of the bullpen.