Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stories about Dads and cards...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
With your Dad, as a Dad, feel free to share your own!

One of this things that keeps me in the hobby to varying degrees is the nostalgic feeling of thinking back to the early 1980's when my dad and I would watch the Mets. We would pull out all our Mets cards and try to make the starting line up on the carpet, looking at them and talking baseball while watching the game. The last time that happened was in 1986 (I remember because of the cards) but for the few years we did it, we would sit on the floor, laughing, crying, arguing, and enjoying baseball & baseball cards.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
When I was little, Dad bought me some cards and I was hooked. Had the most of Rickey, so I started focusing on him. From then on out whenever we would go to shows or LCS, Dad would buy anything I didn't have (within reason). Every time he would tell me "don't tell your Mom".

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Well my dad has been dead for 30+ years but I had grandpa be my dad and we were beyond knees deep in baseball an cards.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
That more than counts!

I vaguely remember looking at some 87 Topps cards when my dad was opening up a box. I must've been 3 or 4 at the time. Then he abandoned us and haven't seen him since.

But, my new step dad would take me baseball games, wait hours afterwards so I could get autographs from the players. He was a real dad.

I've tried getting my 21 month old son into collecting. So far all he wants to do is eat the cards.. Gonna have to wait a few more years lol.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
My dad didn't collect when he was young (other than buying packs for the gum and putting the cards in his bike spokes) so he didn't really "collect" with me but I do have a few small memories:

- I started collecting in 1988 and my dad told me to only buy Topps cards because he feared the others may have not been the "real deal" and were ripoffs. So for the entirety of 1988 I collected ONLY Topps. It wasn't until the beginning of 1989 when I bought my first non-Topps card, a 1987 Donruss Jose Canseco.

- My dad would buy a jumbo pack (of Topps, of course) once in a while and just keep the "good" cards while letting me have the scrubs. I guess he was like those guys that open boxes at a shop and just keep the hits and toss everything else. So anyways he did this with a pack of 1990 Topps and later thought I fooled him because he didn't realize Rock Raines was Tim Raines.

- He was ice enough to drive me and my friend to the San Francisco Labor Day show in 1989. One of my favorite memories from my childhood was when we stopped on the way and raced go-karts.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
My dad took all my childhood binders of cards with him after my parents got divorced.

I do have really fond memories of going to card shows with my grandpa when he was hired to do signings.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Great stuff in here so far.
Relied heavily on my grandpa for all my "dad" stuff. He took me to my ball games and bought me my first cards that I remember getting. Always thought they weren't worth the cardboard they were printed on (which I proudly showed him they were later in life) but if I enjoyed it, he backed it. I sure miss him

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Great stuff in here so far.
Relied heavily on my grandpa for all my "dad" stuff. He took me to my ball games and bought me my first cards that I remember getting. Always thought they weren't worth the cardboard they were printed on (which I proudly showed him they were later in life) but if I enjoyed it, he backed it. I sure miss him

+100

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
When I got good grades in late elementary school and junor high, my dad took me to the card shop and bought me some packs and a vintage card. My favorite was/is a 1933 Goudey Mickey Cochrane, and my dad told me that his favorite player, Mickey Mantle, had been named after Cochrane. I didn't believe him (should have), but I thought that is was friggin cool to have a card that was older than my dad!

I always got very good grades, and I still have some sweet cards because of it (Maris rookie, 1959 Musial, etc). Wish we had bought more at those 1980s prices!

Thanks dad.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Me and my dad used to go to the flea market every Saturday and pick up singles for our sets. We would bring our lists, cross the cards off and couldn't wait until next week to see who got more stuff during the week for next Saturday. We built all the way back to 1970........Now just last night me and my son bought a box of 2013 Contenders Football and had fun busting it open!

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
As a young kid in the late 70's/early 80's, I had a paper route and used much of my earnings to buy packs from one of a couple stores that carried cards in my small town. My dad would compare to the cards he had growing up but at that age I didn't really comprehend it. A few years down the road we went to a small card show in Grand Rapids, MI where former Tigers from the '68 World Series team were signing. Much of our time was spent flipping through binders of '53 - '56 Topps as those were the years he collected during his childhood. Later on we went to the 1988 National in Chicago. It was the first card show of any size that we'd been to and we were both amazed at the cards and memorabilia. Unfortunately my grandparents moved in the early '70s and that's probably when the cards from his childhood were thrown out.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Mine never really collected, but was always supportive of me collecting. Both of my grandpas were too.

It was a cool thing to have going honestly.

Not really a story in particular better than the other, but he'd slip me a pack or two every once and a while. I pulled some great cards in those packs.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
My grandfather got me into cards he took me to card shows, lcs and give me "lunch" money whenI would walk home in jr. High and stop by a lcs downtown. He got me my first autograph bobby murder was at a show and my grandpa paid $50 dollars and I still have it too this day!! I miss him greatly!!!!