Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
1998 Pattern # 49 Diffractor

BTW Talked to Topps Customer service today about the possibility of pattern# 49 not being printed as a Diffractor as after comparing lists I have nobody who has a significant number of diffractors has a Pattern 49 diffractor in their collection. Dude was looking online while on phone with him to check at a couple sites so waste of time there.

Richard that might make you 90 cards closer to the your Holy Graille diffractor quest project
Cluless

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
http://www.ebay.com/?clk_rvr_id=763597178093
Yet another EBAY Seller listing a card as a DIFFRACTOR

This time this seller even has a Beckett sticker of 9.5 grading on it yet the picture is clearly NOT a diffractor. I contacted the seller but they haven't bothered to change listing and now there are 3 bids on a misrepresented card.
Could just report the auction right or whatever? It shocks me how some people are... you contact him and try and help him and he still doesn't change it. Just odd.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Over a decade of searching and can finally confirm this pattern exists. Received it in-hand today - now I just need p86 to complete the set!!
[MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] check it out!

f-3182.jpg
b-3182.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Over a decade of searching and can finally confirm this pattern exists. Received it in-hand today - now I just need p86 to complete the set!!
@rinkrat38 check it out!

f-3182.jpg
b-3182.jpg

So they made a McGwire Preproduction for every pattern?! If so, what a find and what a collection you have!

Do the PreProductions seem to have the same condition issues as the normal base (spotting, print lines, etc)?

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I just received pattern 88. I still need these Sandy Alomar Jr. patterns: 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 27, 34, 40, 51, 54, 55, 66, 70, 71, 78, 83, 84, 86, 87

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
So they made a McGwire Preproduction for every pattern?! If so, what a find and what a collection you have!

Do the PreProductions seem to have the same condition issues as the normal base (spotting, print lines, etc)?

They alternated every 3 patterns with Clemens and Mondesi so there are (thankfully) only 30 patterns. McGwire was 2,5,8....89. Same with the gold pre-productions which are believed to be /1 or /2 each (still need 10 of those).

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston

I had a small handful of these but since I put my Master set in 90 Ultra notebook (the ones that have 10 pages.. ergo 90 slots) I cant for the life of me remember what I did with them.

I seem to recall there were maybe five or six player including Mondesi, McGwire, Clemens +++ dont recall the other players that had those promos made. I dont think there were 90 patterns of the promos. Maybe five or 6?? Dont remember

I sold some 1998 TEKs this week oddly right after I had put them into storage so when I go pull those card for my buyers I will check on those promos. I know I had a Big Mac and thought it was a pattern # 86 but don't get your hopes up

If anyone else wants me to pull any 98 TEK )I sell at high Beckett) LMK...You can find my 1998 TEK dupe list (1400+) under my sig or in one of post in the TEK thead. I can trade too but since I finished 8100 all I am only trading for around 3--35 condition upgrades and any pattern# 1 or same Card# pattern # 98 TEKs for several sets I have separate from my Master set

I haven't bought into the 2014 TEK craze although I have maybe 10 #d to 75 TEKs that I bought on ebay for buck each. Better looking cards than the 98s IMHO but you would think technology would improve which it certainly has 17 years later

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] check it out!

f-3182.jpg
b-3182.jpg

Always nice to cross something off that's been on the want list that long . Congrats !

Ryan

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
How bout that just found it!!!. I thought I had more Pre-Production cards including a Mondesi but I have oddly enough that same Mark McGwire 89 that you just picked up and a Roger Clemens 63 . I had put them in a binder with a few random TEKs including 10 Richard Hidalgo diffractors and just came across it in my credenza... These must be very hard to find (ergo far more rare and $$$$ than diffractors) in that I only have two as well as I see only two listed on ebay.

Interesting they do not have card # 13 like in the regular set but just the one number in the Silver Oval on the back of the card.

For whats it worth nobody has ever asked me if I had any Pre-Production 1998 TEK cards or this one could have come relatively cheaply at one time.

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Still looking for a Burnitz Pattern 15

Good luck with the last one. Always a treat to finish off a 1998 TEK favorite player set.

Picked up a Burnitz Diffractor Card # 48 pattern # 70 yesterday on a BIN listing that popped up out of nowhere late last night
on ebay (sorry its not a dupe) .... I made a new Excel spreadsheet of 1998 Topps TEK Diffractors last night and dont have as many as I thought.
I'm at 287 of 8100 (3.54%) or 287 of 8010 if pattern# 49 (3.58%) does not exist in Diffractors as rumored.

Estimated completion date: Never..

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Good luck with the last one. Always a treat to finish off a 1998 TEK favorite player set.

Picked up a Burnitz Diffractor Card # 48 pattern # 70 yesterday on a BIN listing that popped up out of nowhere late last night
on ebay (sorry its not a dupe) .... I made a new Excel spreadsheet of 1998 Topps TEK Diffractors last night and dont have as many as I thought.
I'm at 287 of 8100 (3.54%) or 287 of 8010 if pattern# 49 does not exist in Diffractors as rumored.

Estimated completion date: Never..

Ha, thanks and congrats/no worries on the diffractor. I decided I wasn't going to live long enough to make a serious run at that and gave up the chase for those

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts