Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An airing of grievances

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
My only gripe is the diminishing user base. You guys have a Twitter account, I @ you randomly, but I never see any activity out of it. You could be directing people to threads that are interesting (*cough* FCB Bracket Tourney *cough*) or pointing people towards the fact that a Buy/Sell Board exists at all here. It wouldn't even need to be a full-time job for anyone. Use Buffer to auto-Tweet and maybe give a moderator access to randomly point out cool threads.

You have 6483 followers. If only 1% click on your links, that is 65 users coming to the boards. I love this place but the ghost-town gets old.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
My only gripe is the diminishing user base. You guys have a Twitter account, I @ you randomly, but I never see any activity out of it. You could be directing people to threads that are interesting (*cough* FCB Bracket Tourney *cough*) or pointing people towards the fact that a Buy/Sell Board exists at all here. It wouldn't even need to be a full-time job for anyone. Use Buffer to auto-Tweet and maybe give a moderator access to randomly point out cool threads.

You have 6483 followers. If only 1% click on your links, that is 65 users coming to the boards. I love this place but the ghost-town gets old.

Honestly. I don't have a while lot of time.

I've got no one else to do it.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO ONE PLUS using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Good news though

An update to the application is incoming. I have spent pretty much all my free time the past couple of days getting it done. Coordination with developers that speak a different language is tough. In a few days it should be done and uploaded. This will fix the cant submit a new topic issue with the android app.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Honestly. I don't have a while lot of time.

I've got no one else to do it.

That is where a free service like Buffer comes in so handy. You can set it to automatically Tweet.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Chris - get better site leadership along with some funds to help kick-start some campaigns to attract new visitors. A simple message board will not attract visitors any more. You need some type of identity to keep members engaged.

I have stopped visiting and posting on here simply because a majority of the posts are recycled on other sites/forums. FCB is on the brink of becoming a wasteland of members who were previous banned from other sites.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Not to beat a dead horse, but I really think it you pick anything to improve, the app is the choice. It's the reason I came back a few years ago and the reason I have stayed. I don't even own a laptop anymore, so I am almost 100% app based for my day to day life.

I think it's a HUGE advantage for this site to have an Independent app. I realize other sites are accessible via Tapatalk, but that app's functionally is horrendous and hasn't been updated in years.

IMO the app itself will help bring the traffic as long as it's updated as more and more people go computer-less.

Thanks,
Jeff

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Chris - get better site leadership along with some funds to help kick-start some campaigns to attract new visitors. A simple message board will not attract visitors any more. You need some type of identity to keep members engaged.

I have stopped visiting and posting on here simply because a majority of the posts are recycled on other sites/forums. FCB is on the brink of becoming a wasteland of members who were previous banned from other sites.

One cannot disagree with this statement as I think a large number of former posters feel the same way. When I think about what takes me to hobby sites I visit daily is the fact there is always new, fresh hobby information being posted. It doesnt matter if this information is being gleaned from hobby news sources or the general news sources at least there is new items to read which gives everyone a reason to visit daily. For instance, the National is happening this weekend and there is almost no chatter on this board about it yet other boards are overflowing with information.

I don't me to be a ******* or be insensitive but if the people who run this place dont have time to make it what it could be maybe it's time to give it up and turn over the reins to someone else who can make it happen. New ideas, new thoughts, new direction perhaps

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
One cannot disagree with this statement as I think a large number of former posters feel the same way. When I think about what takes me to hobby sites I visit daily is the fact there is always new, fresh hobby information being posted. It doesnt matter if this information is being gleaned from hobby news sources or the general news sources at least there is new items to read which gives everyone a reason to visit daily. For instance, the National is happening this weekend and there is almost no chatter on this board about it yet other boards are overflowing with information.

I don't me to be a ******* or be insensitive but if the people who run this place dont have time to make it what it could be maybe it's time to give it up and turn over the reins to someone else who can make it happen. New ideas, new thoughts, new direction perhaps

That has already happened once. Actually if the mobile app were fixed and other tech things worked out the bulk of the issue is content. Users post content. We can supplement it with articles and a hot list (that we don't currently do consistently) but this is predominantly user based content.

mchenrycards

That has already happened once. Actually if the mobile app were fixed and other tech things worked out the bulk of the issue is content. Users post content. We can supplement it with articles and a hot list (that we don't currently do consistently) but this is predominantly user based content.

You are right Chris, I do remember the turnover but those who have the keys now just have not done enough to drive traffic to this site. I had thought that those that have stayed around and tried to create content or at least contribute to the boards would be consulted for ideas but to my knowledge that just has not been done. One would think if traffic was really desired true and honest talk about the hobby in general would be fostered here on the boards. I mean, Sports Collectors Daily has a large amount of traffic to it's site daily because, well the news is fresh and not recycled. Why do people continue to read Sports Collectors Digest long after it's glory days? Because there is always new, fresh content. There are a great many hobby writers that I have no doubt would love to contribute to these boards. I am sure many of us have ideas as to what we would do with this web site if we were given the opportunity. If the current key holders are unwilling to make the needed changes or do not have the time, like I said it might be time to get someone else involved. And no...I am not angling for a job but as I have expressed before, I am and have been willing to contribute.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I understand why Chris is saying though. The few sites left are not being buoyed by content created by the site's owners (for the most part). Its members making posts and other members responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I understand why Chris is saying though. The few sites left are not being buoyed by content created by the site's owners (for the most part). Its members making posts and other members responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three I use seem to mostly be driven by sales, I guess people avoiding fees, that's why this one if my favorite theres a lot of post for discussion and not just selling

Wes

OG
Administrator
You are right Chris, I do remember the turnover but those who have the keys now just have not done enough to drive traffic to this site. I had thought that those that have stayed around and tried to create content or at least contribute to the boards would be consulted for ideas but to my knowledge that just has not been done. One would think if traffic was really desired true and honest talk about the hobby in general would be fostered here on the boards. I mean, Sports Collectors Daily has a large amount of traffic to it's site daily because, well the news is fresh and not recycled. Why do people continue to read Sports Collectors Digest long after it's glory days? Because there is always new, fresh content. There are a great many hobby writers that I have no doubt would love to contribute to these boards. I am sure many of us have ideas as to what we would do with this web site if we were given the opportunity. If the current key holders are unwilling to make the needed changes or do not have the time, like I said it might be time to get someone else involved. And no...I am not angling for a job but as I have expressed before, I am and have been willing to contribute.

Can you send me some names? We've always been welcome to people interested in contributing but I just haven't seen evidence that there are these people waiting out there to write stuff for free or for a rate that the site can afford.

mchenrycards

I certainly can Wes. I believe one writer in particular is a member here and it would be worth asking him if he would like to contribute. I will work on this during the week and get you information by the weekend. Many of the guys I know are at the National right now.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hey brad. You know anything about how to set this up?

Ask their tech support for a customer list to preview sites that have used their software. Im kinda shocked they don't have links to sample sites on their sales pitch site.

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts