Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I just love the Archives Bull..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm always looking at Edgar Martinez Auto's and with this years batch of Archives it makes me laugh..

Here is a card currently on EBAY.. numbered 1/5.. but the seller labels it a 1/1.. (idiot)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-TOPPS-ARCHIVES-EDGAR-MARTINEZ-AUTO-1-5-1-1-SSP-1992-TOPPS/382298070979?hash=item5902bd9fc3:g:FjMAAOSwJtdaH0Ji

Here's a couple that I have.. one numbered 8/35 (2015) and one numbered 1/36 (2016)..

View attachment 75048 View attachment 75049

I thought about getting rid of one of my dupes, but then I noticed that one is a "Winner" and one is a base.. so technically they are different..

I am seeing so many of these previous years release that I am really looking at them as they are the same damn card just different numbering..

Here's another one that I have dupes of..

View attachment 75050 View attachment 75051

and another..

View attachment 75052 View attachment 75053

and another..

View attachment 75054 View attachment 75055

and another..

View attachment 75057 View attachment 75058

:benson:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That is pretty disappointing. Certainly he was in enough different topps sets and parallels they could have done a better job.
I was very excited when Wakefield made his way into this year's set. If he is in 2018 and it's just rerun cards it will be pretty hard to get excited about.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Yea, they suck. I was happy that they had Jose Rijo and Lou Piniella in it, but then they had to put Paul O'Neill and Pettitte in it...again. I don't even bother with those guys

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You'll notice that the stickers are on opposite sides for the two years and possibly, I can't remember now, the foil colors are different. Just barely enough to make them slightly different, aside from the obvious buyback numbering.

We are all suckers though...

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] nails it. As disappointed as I would be if they used the same cards next year you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be buying them still.
It's hard for me to say whether it's laziness or if they know they've got the market cornered and we will still buy... probably a little of column A and a little of column B. Either way it would be refreshing if they just took the initiative to take care of their consumer

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Honestly though, even if it is a dupe how could you not want as much cardboard as possible featuring that sweet stache!? Talk about lat 80s early 90s greatness!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The idea of buy back autos was a great idea , executed poorly. A guy from 2017 has 2 1/1 Matt Williams 1990 Bowman.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
And the random numbering. I seen a charlie blackmon 1/1 and then the same damn card numbered 1/3. Guy tells me the /3 has at least a 50 value. I'm sure he has more /3 in the same release. Like triple threads having 30 1/1's per player.

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's entirely possible that they are the same, but unlikely in most cases. There is probably something minor that the owner/seller may have overlooked, such as one may be regular and the other Tiffany for bowman. I see a lot of Topps Gold and base cards (and Winner gold like Pinbreaker noted above. I saw a 1980 "Topps" Ron Cey 1/1 sell (no back scan) and it was listed as Topps, but I am fairly certain if I saw the back, it would be an OPC.

Thankfully Garvey is not in the set as far as I know. After a brutal 2015 and 2016, with many issues numbered lower than 10 copies of mostly crappy 80s cards, I could use a break from the big bucks required to nab many of them.

I have grabbed a few cards from this set that I might not normally buy, just because they caught my eye. I don't have a Blackmon auto yet, but haven't seen a decent card that looked good to me that was in a price range I liked.

Aside from Dodgers, a certain card or a certain player may pique my interest, but there is nobody in the checklist that I can't live without. Another thing I like about these, although it feels like cheating, is that you get the chance to add some certified autos to your collection from guys that have few or none prior. I do think they recycle too many players over and over again though.

The idea of buy back autos was a great idea , executed poorly. A guy from 2017 has 2 1/1 Matt Williams 1990 Bowman.

Ryan

And the random numbering. I seen a charlie blackmon 1/1 and then the same damn card numbered 1/3. Guy tells me the /3 has at least a 50 value. I'm sure he has more /3 in the same release. Like triple threads having 30 1/1's per player.

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Your correct, I figured he would have check when he bought them and posted them together. But yes 1 is a Tiffany one base.

Ryan

Members online