Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Doubront: nice blurb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
People WHO dont care

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yes. And people "who don't care" also have to google Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the other HOF stars.

Anyone who follows baseball knows who Doubront is now, so Pine Tar's comment is not only obvious, it is utterly meaningless to the thread's blurb.

Haters gonna hate, as they say. Your choice.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I used to dread his starts...

Now he and Lackey are the rocks in the rotation. (I NEVER thought I would say that)

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
A 2.45 ERA is shocking? In most years, I would think that would be about 2nd or 3rd in the league. Definitely good, but not shocking. Something under 2 is closer to shocking territory. Even with a 2.45, if he gets seriously roughed up in one game, he's probably back out of the top 10 in his league with a 3+ ERA.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
A 2.45 ERA is shocking? In most years, I would think that would be about 2nd or 3rd in the league. Definitely good, but not shocking. Something under 2 is closer to shocking territory. Even with a 2.45, if he gets seriously roughed up in one game, he's probably back out of the top 10 in his league with a 3+ ERA.

I think the writer said "shocking" because 1) Red Sox nation as a whole didn't apparently expect Felix to be this consistent so soon in his career with the Red Sox top club, and 2) a 2.45 ERA is good enough for 2nd in the AL for the season, only .06 off King Felix' 2.39 leading ERA. In other words, since May 8, his ERA is equal to the top two in the entire AL for starters for the whole year (Kuroda is also at 2.45 for the year.) That, my friend, is shocking.

The fact he's outperformed that whole list of elite pitchers the past two months is also worthy of note. And yeah, if you want to be a pessimist and say "one bad game and he's off the map"-- sure, you can say that. Again, that sort of comment is obvious. What he has done the past two months is commendable, however.

I hope he's built up enough stamina to stay strong through the next 2.5 months though. Last year he did well but then tired down the stretch. If the Sox are going to win a World Series this year, they will need Felix to keep going until the end!

Go Sox!

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
A shame his team is 8-8 in those starts, and that he can't keep his pitch count down to go further in games.

Yeah, quite a few blown saves by the bullpen when he left with leads after pitching very well.

Re his pitch counts, the same article from the OP blurb states this, which is interesting:

"There’s been a lot made of his lack of efficiency with his pitch counts, but unlike most, his high counts have less to do with control and more to do with pitch selection. While Doubront’s capable of throwing in the mid-90’s now and then, he’s never been a guy who relies on his FB to get strike outs. In fact, it’s his off-speed stuff that’s his bread and butter. While his changeup has developed nicely over the years, it’s his curve ball which generates the most swings and misses. When you add in the fact that he likes to live in the extreme-bottom of the strike zone, only throwing an occasional FB or Cutter up – it should come as little surprise that he gets a lot of called balls and as a result – his pitch counts get jacked up. Again, it’s not his control – it’s just where he likes to pitch."

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Doubront has pitched great this season, and he is a big part of why this team has been so successful. He has great off speed pitches and over the past couple months has [mostly] stayed away from those big pitch count innings so he has been going 6+ innings in his starts. The best thing for his recent success is staying more in the strike zone...since his 6 walk outing in May, he has walked only 29 batters in 86.2 IP [14 starts]. He has a 2.5 ERA in that same time frame.

Good to see him pitch well and actually be an anchor in the rotation when Dempster/Lester, etc...are having their inconsistencies.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Read this the other day on WEEI.com- "Doubront has now allowed three runs or fewer in 15 straight starts dating back to May 16, the longest such stretch by a Red Sox lefty in the live ball era (since 1920). It’s the longest such stretch by any Red Sox starter since Tim Wakefield accomplished the feat in 17 straight starts in 1995."

That's just crazy.......(the lefty thing).....

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Read this the other day on WEEI.com- "Doubront has now allowed three runs or fewer in 15 straight starts dating back to May 16, the longest such stretch by a Red Sox lefty in the live ball era (since 1920). It’s the longest such stretch by any Red Sox starter since Tim Wakefield accomplished the feat in 17 straight starts in 1995."

That's just crazy.......(the lefty thing).....

Let me sum that up in a word: "shocking!"

Thanks for the post. :cool:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Yes. And people "who don't care" also have to google Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the other HOF stars.

Anyone who follows baseball knows who Doubront is now, so Pine Tar's comment is not only obvious, it is utterly meaningless to the thread's blurb.

Haters gonna hate, as they say. Your choice.
Actually sir I did not even know who he was nor did my buddy who read this over my shoulder. So I guees it was not to obvious ::facepalm::

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Actually sir I did not even know who he was nor did my buddy who read this over my shoulder. So I guees it was not *too obvious ::facepalm::

I said, "anyone who follows baseball" ... :lol:

Relax man, go have some ice cream. Enjoy the night.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I've heard the name but wouldn't have been able to tell you what team he played for or his position before this thread. I got 3 kids and no time to follow every team between them and 50 hour work weeks. That said, it certainly seems like the national media has failed me. They also apparently aren't doing a good enough job telling me that Cargo was having a great year so take that for what its worth

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I said, "anyone who follows baseball" ... :lol:

Relax man, go have some ice cream. Enjoy the night.

What's wrong with stating that the average baseball fan still has does not know much about Doubront? It's certainly an accurate statement. Of course, it does not take anything away from his performance. He's been very impressive and if he continues it, he will be a household name pretty soon. I would imagine Red Sox fans and really hardcore baseball fans (particularly fantasy baseball fans) will know him, but it takes time for ESPN and other news outlets to get you the attention it requires for fans across the country to notice. I'm pretty sure a decent number of people don't know Jason Kipnis, Josh Donaldson, Starling Marte, Matt Carpenter and Jean Segura are, even though they've been some of the most valuable players in baseball this season.

Members online

Latest posts