Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 6: olerud363

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Rodrick, thank you again for doing this interview ! Everyone please take a few moments and get to know another one of FCB's great members !

1) When did you start collecting __ and why do you collect __?

I started collecting John Olerud when 90 Donruss came out. I pulled his RC from a pack and despite being a Blue Jays fan had never heard of him. I started reading newspaper and magazine articles and realized that he was a lot like me: kind of soft-spoken and introverted. He wasn't flashy but just quietly went about his business, so I identified with him. Plus he had never played in the minors so I wouldn't have to chase those "hard-to-find" minor league cards.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting __? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on __?

Moving from Eastern Canada to Toronto in 98 opened up a new world for me. Overnight I gained access to more card shops and other local places that sold Toronto sports team stuff.

A few other collecting interests have come and gone, but I've never focused solely on Olerud.

3) What has been the high point in collecting __? The low point?

A high point would be landing my only 1-of-1 back in 2002 via a mail trade.

A low point was when Olerud appeared on the HoF ballot for the first time. He had a slim chance of getting elected, but I never thought he wouldn't even survive the first ballot!

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

I had a deal worked out to purchase a few cards from another collector which just ended. The other guy stopped communicating despite the fact that we both agreed on the cards and price. He said he needed to check how much postage would be, and I never heard from him again. I don't know why it didn't work out. Maybe I should have pursued it more but I figured if he changed his mind so be it.

5) What's your favorite piece/card in your collection? Why?

My favorite pieces are the card and ticket stub I got signed when I met him in person.

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession for __?

The best way to describe it is to say that my wife tolerates my collecting, but doesn't have any interest in it. I don't blow the budget with my hobby so she's happy. It'd be nice to get a few packs or even a box of cards for a birthday or Christmas gift once in a while though! I hope to get at least one my kids into collecting. My 4-year-old son has shown interest in hockey cards.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

There are a few 1/1 or auto/patch cards that I'd love to add to my collection, but a couple of white whales are 1996 Pinnacle Aficionado First Pitch Preview and his 1999 Fleer Starting 9. I've never seen an FPP, and a Starting 9 did show up on ebay once but was way out of my budget.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like?

I've met Olerud once, at a Jays game at which he made an appearance and had a pregame autograph session. The full story with pictures is on my website, but basically I got to the front of the line and as I held out a ball to get signed he was ushered away. I did get my autograph in the end though!

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting __?

I'd love to see Olerud included in more current sets. So many other retired players still have new cards issued, and I'd love to see more autos like 2012 Topps Archives. I guess for now I'll have to be satisfied with stuff like Leaf buybacks and SP sticker autos.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of __? How have they hurt?

Those online venues have helped me immensely in finding cards I never would have found locally. 99.9% of my cards are purchased online, and in recent years the majority of those come from COMC. I can't think of any way those sources have hurt my collecting.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of __?

Though Olerud was never a superstar player, there is a small and dedicated group if collectors. Whenever a rare item shows up on ebay I'm surprised how high the price goes. I'm in contact with three other Olerud collectors, all of whom seem to have deeper pockets than me!

How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

Since getting a smartphone a few years ago, I check ebay and COMC several times a day.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

In 24 years if collecting Olerud I've never had thoughts of quitting him. It's been the only constant in my life since 1990 and I have no plan to give it up.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection?

I've had a couple of FCB'ers give me Olerud cards over the years. More than the "value" of adding to my PC, the generosity showed me that there are still guys out there who collect for fun, and who like to just help out another player collector. "Pay it forward" is something I try to do whenever my means allow.

Thanks Dave for asking me to participate in Collector's Showcase! I hope others feel like they know me a little better as a fellow collector and as a person.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Nice. I have one request. How about asking name, age, location and something other than collecting they enjoy? Some may answer some may not. Just an idea. Another good interview.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Johnny O!!!!!! My kinda player (and always worth mentioning cousin of the legendary Dale Sveum). Thanks for sharing Roderick.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nice. I have one request. How about asking name, age, location and something other than collecting they enjoy? Some may answer some may not. Just an idea. Another good interview.

And some pics!!!!!!!!! Quit watching wrastlin' and pull your head out of your Josh Johnson Dave!

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Great read! Nice to see some Olerud fans/collectors, he was a great guy. I think he played college for WSU? Not positive though.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
These showcase threads are a great idea. They just need lots of pics of the collector's favorite and coolest cards and collectables to make them more awesome.
Or at the very least, links to pictures or the member's website.
Thanks for doing these Dave!

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Great stuff! A rare player that skipped the minors to go straight to the majors. His only minor league AB's were in his final season, 10AB's rehab assignment.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
Great read! Nice to see some Olerud fans/collectors, he was a great guy. I think he played college for WSU? Not positive though.

Not only did he play for WSU, he dominated. Member of College Baseball Hall Of Fame and now has 2way player of year named after him.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
Great stuff! A rare player that skipped the minors to go straight to the majors. His only minor league AB's were in his final season, 10AB's rehab assignment.

Where he went 3-10 with a HR that landed in the water preventing him from obtaining his only minor league HR.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Not only did he play for WSU, he dominated. Member of College Baseball Hall Of Fame and now has 2way player of year named after him.

That's awesome! He was a class act. My uncle pitched for WSU, but it was about a decade after Olerud had left I think. That's really cool that he's in the College HOF.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Man, the parallels between your Olerud collection and my Grace collection are uncanny. Same time frame, same dedicated small core of collectors, same lack of current inclusion in Topps sets. Good luck with your continued pursuit.

Would love to see these interviews have card pics and bio info like mentioned, plus also collection stats if the subject wants to share.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Got him my first year of TTM autograph seeking. Always seemed to be a top notch guy as well as player.
Thanks for sharing!
DANNY

Members online