Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How the hell did Phil Humber throw a perfect game?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
And save the Brendan Ryan check swing debate....he retired 26 hitters before that.

Anyway, he will go down easily as the worst pitcher of all time to throw a perfect game.

He's 0-8 with an ERA of close to 10.00 this year. Career ERA of well over 5. Mind-boggling.

I was dumbstruck when Dallas Braden threw one, but I think Humber is more of a head-scratcher.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
....because he did it against one of the worst OBP lineups ever... I mean damn, if Brendan Mendoza is the guy you're sending in to pinch hit in the 9th you know there's a giant problem. If Chone Figgins is leading off and Justin Smoak is cleanup.. just damn. Im not even going to talk about the bottom of the lineup guys.

WaxPax

Thankfully he had that game, I was able to unload the remainder of my Humber stash. I was turbo listing stuff in the 8th inning, and hit the upload button with the out. Was able to recover hundreds I still had tied up in him from his Met days....

And save the Brendan Ryan check swing debate....he retired 26 hitters before that.

Anyway, he will go down easily as the worst pitcher of all time to throw a perfect game.

He's 0-8 with an ERA of close to 10.00 this year. Career ERA of well over 5. Mind-boggling.

I was dumbstruck when Dallas Braden threw one, but I think Humber is more of a head-scratcher.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
To be a major league pitcher, you have to be really good. And even the worst major league pitcher can still get guys out. As tough as it is to throw a perfect game, every major league pitcher has thrown a 1-2-3 inning, maybe strung a couple of those together. And once in a great while, you get 9 in a row.

I liken it to the fact that Bobby Jones (or Byron Nelson, someone like that) never hit a hole-in-one in his life. When asked about it, he said he never tried to make an ace. He always just hit to the spot where he'd have the easiest birdie putt. Maybe the greatest pitchers never exactly tried to get every guy out, but didn't mind giving up a hit or a walk, knowing they'd just get a double-play with the next batter.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Some luck helps too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Here's another guy that threw a Perfecto:

8 GS, 1-2, 6.19 ERA, 48.0 IP, 58 H, 13 BB, 11 HR, 30 SO, 1.479 WHIP.

Mark Buehrle