Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions on the FCB chatroom?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

I like it. A lot of the traffic here is either "stop in quick" or "check threads and idle". If more people used the chatroom for deep discussion (game chat, showing off collections) they'd build popularity. I still think a lot of people equate the chatrooms with the annoying "LETS CHAT" threads.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
. I still think a lot of people equate the chatrooms with the annoying "LETS CHAT" threads.

Your hatred for Miggy is well known and I'd be interested to see here in this very thread if any one single member never joined the chat for the simple reason that a member posted a thread with the title "Let's Chat"

You're reaching here and reaching very far.

A_Pharis

Your hatred for Miggy is well known and I'd be interested to see here in this very thread if any one single member never joined the chat for the simple reason that a member posted a thread with the title "Let's Chat"

You're reaching here and reaching very far.

I don't hate Miggy. He actually would message me pretty regularly, and I believe we've been - historically - on good terms.

He is also not the only person that made those threads, and those threads were throttled by staff not named "A_Pharis".
But thank you for your assumption.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
Actually, the only reason I've ever joined the chat is when I see someone I'm friendly with post a "let's chat" thread.

A_Pharis

Actually, the only reason I've ever joined the chat is when I see someone I'm friendly with post a "let's chat" thread.

And that's fine and good. My opinion is that seeing a "let's chat" thread where there's only 1 person in chat tended to be a little offputting. This is not coming from me, exclusively.
Even so, much better than a "let's chat" thread is using the ability to invite users into chat.

I think people may be focusing a little too much on one opinion. We're looking for something that bolsters chat usage, and "let's chat" threads didn't do that - regardless of how anyone feels about them.

Last edited:

Mainah

May 28, 2013
Maine
Do you guys have any opinions about FCB's chatroom or suggestions for ways it could be improved?
As a noob, ideally I'd like to see more people in the chat room. They wouldn't have to be active, but at least present in the room. It would be nice if I could bounce a stupid question off someone or ask some more experience people their opinion on things.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
it's not yet available on a mobile platform.

thats probably it's biggest flaw
That explains it.

Its frustrating that I occasionally get a popup saying that I've been invited to the chat room, but I can't go there.

I really only access this site on my iPad.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
And that's fine and good. My opinion is that seeing a "let's chat" thread where there's only 1 person in chat tended to be a little offputting. This is not coming from me, exclusively.
Even so, much better than a "let's chat" thread is using the ability to invite users into chat.

I think people may be focusing a little too much on one opinion. We're looking for something that bolsters chat usage, and "let's chat" threads didn't do that - regardless of how anyone feels about them.

I usually don't respond to posts where the thread is based solely on differing opinions and there are no hard facts to base those opinions on, but I was in the chat quite a bit a few years back, and I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that the chat threads brought people in. Also, there were plenty of times where new board members would come into the chat based on the threads. Some would lurk for a bit then leave but most would join in and become regulars. I can name members if you want.

There were also plenty of people who didn't like those threads, or the amount of times the threads were bumped on the front page..etc. Basically, the majority of the threads were started by a couple of members who some people found annoying, so if they were really creating that much agitation with people, why not just ignore those users? Seems like a simple solution to me.

I used to be in the chat all the time a few years back, but only because I knew when my FCB friends were in there, or because I knew a lot of people were in there for an event. Without the chat threads or the ability to see who is in chat, it's basically a crap shoot. You don't know who is in there, or if anyone is in there. you may wait a LONG while until someone else actually enters the room. Once someone does finally come in, it might be someone you have no desire to talk to, so you leave. You basically have to sit and wait and hope, or pm people which really doesnt work if you're trying to attract new people into the chat. Who has that kind of free time? You asked.

A_Pharis

Well, first. When people have complaints - as staff - you try to not "just ignore".

I'm not sure about your issue with seeing who is in chat. With the new system, there is a user panel on the right side of the chat window that displays connected users. And instead of sitting and waiting, there is the option to invite users that are on the forums but not in chat by selecting Invite Users and choosing their usernames.

Honestly, the new chat system is way better than it gets credit for and could be greatly utilized full-time instead of spurts every once in a while. That's what the OP is asking about. Ways to keep it in use. Once, again - focusing on the opinion about the "Let's chat" threads is focusing on an opinion that is one of multiple opinions about what's right or wrong with the system.

Proactivity. Proactivity. Move forward. Move forward.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The new chat really needs the gun, explosion, dolphin, cougar, and car horn sounds that the old chat had.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
The new chat really needs the gun, explosion, dolphin, cougar, and car horn sounds that the old chat had.

No, it doesn't. That was one of the reasons I avoided the chatroom.

Now it just seems like any time I would pop in, there would be one (or no one) in there so I just stopped checking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts