Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Keith Olbermann shot photos for '81 Donruss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Was this common knowledge? Never knew it until I just read a "readers write" letter sent by him to Baseball Card magazine in 1991.

In the letter he stated that nearly all the photos came from a former Chicago dealer and photographer and about twenty others (mostly taken Toronto) were taken by photographer who did international league photographs in the 60s and 70s.

Keith said that about a dozen were team issued and he also did a dozen including1447955446424.jpg1447955454818.jpg1447955464054.jpg1447955475919.jpg1447955484516.jpg

The last card was Keith's worst and wasn't initially used because the first version actually pictured Bob Forsch.

When Donruss realized the error, they called Olbermann asking for a photo of Ruhle and Keith said he has one but the flash failed it's shadowy.

"Is it better than our Charboneau?" Asked Donruss and Olbermann replied "barely."

Just send it anyway Donruss replied, and he did.

Another tid bit he mentioned was that Mike Aronstein, a "forgotten hobby prophet" who invented nine pockets, albums, mass produced 8x10 photos, collectors issues plus reprints and minor league cards, referred Keith, Bill Madden and others to work on this inaugural issue.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I wasn't fully aware of all the details so thanks for posting. Also wasn't up on Aronsteins impact on the hobby. If that guy actually started all those categories, that's quite amazing.

Ryan

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
He wrote about it in an issue of Collector's Sportslook in 94 or 95. I'll try to find the issue

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Olbermann also wrote/edited the bios on the 1976 SSPC set.

and I think Olbermann has also written bios on a bunch of topps cards in more recent times.

Olbermann says on one of the recent Topps podcasts that he has been a consultant for topps for awhile and that he's working with topps on next year's heritage set paying homage to the 1967 topps set (and Keith visited topps, bring his 1967 topps collection to point out things to topps product development staffers working on next year's heritage).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I knew he shot photos but never knew which ones. Thanks for compiling them. IIRC, that's him in the background here:
Scan_Pic0027.jpg

TCMA

Jan 28, 2016
Another tid bit he mentioned was that Mike Aronstein, a "forgotten hobby prophet" who invented nine pockets, albums, mass produced 8x10 photos, collectors issues plus reprints and minor league cards, referred Keith, Bill Madden and others to work on this inaugural issue.

Hi, Mike Aronstein is my father and I just wanted to clarify here. My dad claims he did NOT invent nine pocket sheets but he may have been the first to introduce them to the hobby and popularize them. All the rest is absolutely true. He is also often credited with hosting the first card "convention" which was held in his basement sometime between 1968 - 1970.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Hi, Mike Aronstein is my father and I just wanted to clarify here. My dad claims he did NOT invent nine pocket sheets but he may have been the first to introduce them to the hobby and popularize them. All the rest is absolutely true. He is also often credited with hosting the first card "convention" which was held in his basement sometime between 1968 - 1970.

Great firsthand insight!

Welcome aboard

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Olbermann has been in the hobby for decades as he used to write for a few publications as a teenager. His knowledge of sportscards as well as his actual collection is incredible. I remember years ago when Topps Heritage was brand new he was putting together a master set and I sold him a few cards he needed.

On a side note, if anyone follows the happenings with Mastro Auctions and the jail terms the principles are facing it would be interesting to read this thread and see just how many times Olbermann and other key hobby investors were screwed over from shill bidding in Mastro auctions. If you love this hobby this is an interesting read. The list of those who were victims of the Mastro shill bidding reads like a hobby Who's Who with some Major League Baseball connections as well.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217245

(Post 51 has a list of the alleged crooks and victims)

Members online