Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Suggestions for a first time traveler to the HOF inductions in Cooperstown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I’m not going or anything, I just thought this may be a good discussion.

I would say it could be pretty overwhelming for someone trying to plan their first trip. Where to stay, how early to arrive, what to take with you, etc?

For those who have been, what suggestions do you have for first-timers, and what (if anything) do you wish you would have brought with you that you didn’t?

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I have been told to get there early simply for parking purposes. When I went, I obviously started at the Hall and went through that bldg with a fine tooth comb. From there, the wax museum would be a nice follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I've never been to induction week, but have heard that a ton of HOF'ers have signings all over town. Some are at multiple locations throughout the weekend so check prices and times to find which ones work for you. You would need to bring your own item but not pen/sharpies and lots of cash.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I've never been to induction week, but have heard that a ton of HOF'ers have signings all over town. Some are at multiple locations throughout the weekend so check prices and times to find which ones work for you. You would need to bring your own item but not pen/sharpies and lots of cash.

Touché!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
Watching today's speeches, I would advise not staring directly at Andre Dawson's shirt.

Some tips based on a past visit:
Other than chasing autographs the entire time, definitely take time out to enjoy the Hall. It is a special place. If attending the speeches, be sure to have sunscreen, a hat, and bottled water. It can get extremely hot out there. Even a collapsible chair isn't a bad idea. When walking down the streets, pay attention to the faces around you...more than one of them may belong to a Hall of Famer. If you're a golfer, spend an extra day (or get there early) and hit the golf course; it's a fun course. Make your reservations as early as possible.

Last edited:

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
I went in 1995. A couple miles sounds about right. I think we took a shuttle/bus out to the induction field, and then walked back afterwards. It was kind of chaotic when the ceremony ended and it was just as fast to walk back.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I went in 1995. A couple miles sounds about right. I think we took a shuttle/bus out to the induction field, and then walked back afterwards. It was kind of chaotic when the ceremony ended and it was just as fast to walk back.

I just can’t imagine how big of a hassle it would be for say, a family of five to arrive early and haul all the needed stuff back and fourth. Lawn chairs, coolers, umbrellas, backpacks full of stuff. That sounds awful, haha.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
In 2014, I left 3/4th of the way through Torre's speech to beat the crowd. The loudspeakers allowed me to hear the rest of the speech with no problem as we walked. The benefit is a lot of memorabilia isn't available until after the ceremony, especially that which depicts the plaques. I was able to get a bunch of limited stuff because I made it back to the museum before most of the crowd.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I’m curious how far the public parking area is from the induction spot? A couple miles?

There is parking with a shuttle on the hill above the main strip of town. As long as you arrive a couple of hours before the induction, the shuttles are plentiful. I just walked from the museum to the induction and back and it was seamless.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I didn’t want to edit the title because for some reason when I do it removes my signature, and I can’t figure out a way to keep that from happening. I’m using Google Chrome mobile browser. It’s annoying to me that it does that.

Members online