Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Brutal, BigUnit! Impressed you are sticking with it. Good luck and keep up heart!

Would reco looking at RJ bulk lots. Several large misc player bulk lots I have purchased had a few stray Teks in there.

I actually went down that road already, bought a 3,000 card RJ lot for $150 delivered last year and pulled 3 or 4 '98 teks from it. Seller offered me 17,000 more singles and I bit; not a single Tek :(

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Brutal, BigUnit! Impressed you are sticking with it. Good luck and keep up heart!

Would reco looking at RJ bulk lots. Several large misc player bulk lots I have purchased had a few stray Teks in there.

I was actually going to ask Mansgame on how he found his latest one. I have a feeling the "bulk player lot" route might be the way to go. I'm down to seven Robin Ventura cards, and I've been looking at those.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Have a decent sized lot of Paul O'Neill which I'm looking to move. There are 45 different patterns plus 1 duplicate, and 1 diffractor (pattern #1 ). PM if you are interested.

tek.jpg

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Brewer Andy...I will mail your final Pattern# 15 J Burnitz card tomorrow (Monday)...Congratulations for finishing your 90 card J Burnitz 1998 Topps TEK set..

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Toga - I will let you and others know if I get one of my two patterns in the mail. I think it will be pattern 2 though. Again, we will see.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
I was at a local card show today and someone had a quarter box with Brewers cards all in semi ridged holders. I almost fell over when I seen 3 1998 Burnitz TEK's with one of them being a diffractor.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Here's a cool Tek story, bros...

Most of you have seen my listing for Jay Buhner in hopes of starting a conversation with other Buhner collectors. I got a bite. He wanted me to call him for some reason. So I eventually call him and a really old lady answers the phone. I thought maybe he's living with his parents? But no, the guy comes to the phone and he's old too. He's been working on his Tek sets (Buhner, Edgar, A-Rod) for ten years. He doesn't have a computer, but keeps saying something about a guy named Dennis (?) letting him look over his shoulder. Anyway, he needs two cards to complete his set, and he needs one of my dupes. He actually has three dupes that I need, and that's when it dawned on me that I have the card he needs to complete his set. So somebody out there now has completed another player set :)

This guy is the oldest collector of modern cards I've ever met, so I thought that was kinda cool. That's going to be us someday!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Most of you have seen my listing for Jay Buhner in hopes of starting a conversation with other Buhner collectors. I got a bite. He wanted me to call him for some reason. So I eventually call him and a really old lady answers the phone. I thought maybe he's living with his parents? But no, the guy comes to the phone and he's old too. He's been working on his Tek sets (Buhner, Edgar, A-Rod) for ten years. He doesn't have a computer, but keeps saying something about a guy named Dennis (?) letting him look over his shoulder. Anyway, he needs two cards to complete his set, and he needs one of my dupes. He actually has three dupes that I need, and that's when it dawned on me that I have the card he needs to complete his set. So somebody out there now has completed another player set :)

This guy is the oldest collector of modern cards I've ever met, so I thought that was kinda cool. That's going to be us someday!

Awesome! So to verify , he needed two and you have him one dupe and one from your PC for his 3 you needed? Great story and it's funny to hear about those collectors who don't use the Internet.

Ryan

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

I'm stealing this idea and relisting my duplicates again! - I put them on eBay several months ago for a week just to see if anyone would pay $3/card, it never occurred to me to list them for like a month and attempt to communicate with anyone else trying to complete the set. Well played sir.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
As an update, no pattern after all... Very nice member and gesture but sent the 1999 Tek pattern haha... Still on the lookout for two patterns after all. Again, that's why I don't count cards until they're in hand :)

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
First new Brady Anderson incoming in almost a year! That puts me to 4 to go! Still need 39,54,62,83 for the base set. I haven't even seen a diffractor in over a year either. Curse of a common player?

Members online