Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

16 years ago today, Kerry Wood Struck out 20.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I was at that game man. And the places was nuts after he rang up 10, and then when he mowed some down in a row they cheered on almost even pitch, and boo if someone made contact on the ball. :lol:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I remember going to a big scd show with my dad in Philly that year during the summer and seeing lots of wood stuff.

Blazing hot, especially graded which was really taking off around that time.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was going to a Rangers game that evening. Someone at work had gotten passes to a skybox and I was the only actual baseball fan they knew, so I got invited. I was the only person actually watching the game, too. Skyboxes are highly recommended, btw. The crowd was buzzing about Wood. He was just so dominant in that game. Then I think it was that weekend or the next there was a big card show in Dallas. Anything Wood was like platinum. Base 1997 Topps Stars cards were $75, I recall. I think base Bowmans were like $50, Bowman Chromes $75, and refractors were $300. I seem to recall trading a 1998 SP Top Prospects autograph, which I've yet to replace in my set, for something like $200 worth of Frank Thomas cards.

It's funny how much impact that single game had on Wood's career. Through all the injuries and lack of performance, that one day showed what was possible for him, and it seemed like he always got the benefit of the doubt, and he still has fans in the hobby.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
My dad and I watched that game on WGN. I still remember how every pitch had incredible movement. Best pitching performance I ever watched.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Tickets and photos from the game - my company had an outing to Wrigley that game and had a skybox too. It was before I worked there - found the tickets and some photos in an old filing cabinet when we were cleaning house, so got to keep them.

woodtickets.jpg

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I remember watching that game very vividly with some friends and all of us were jumping up and down after he got 20. His stuff was insane in Chicago for the summer. I remember trading a Kerry Wood Chrome for an old Sandy Koufax card at my local card store

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Funny thing is that even though my store is in the Bronx, he was the talk around here for a while.

"Kerry chrome" was a common phrase followed by "his topps stars rc is under valued" around here.

And for some reason, I remember he had a redemption BASE card in Fleer EX that was hot.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I was going to a Rangers game that evening. Someone at work had gotten passes to a skybox and I was the only actual baseball fan they knew, so I got invited. I was the only person actually watching the game, too. Skyboxes are highly recommended, btw. The crowd was buzzing about Wood. He was just so dominant in that game. Then I think it was that weekend or the next there was a big card show in Dallas. Anything Wood was like platinum. Base 1997 Topps Stars cards were $75, I recall. I think base Bowmans were like $50, Bowman Chromes $75, and refractors were $300. I seem to recall trading a 1998 SP Top Prospects autograph, which I've yet to replace in my set, for something like $200 worth of Frank Thomas cards.

It's funny how much impact that single game had on Wood's career. Through all the injuries and lack of performance, that one day showed what was possible for him, and it seemed like he always got the benefit of the doubt, and he still has fans in the hobby.

I made an absolute killing that summer selling his stuff. Your pricing recollections are spot on. I sold a few autos for $300+. Funded my entire next years college tuition on just selling Wood cards... and I went to a pricey private college.

Members online

Latest posts