Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's All Do the Triple-A Shuffle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For those keeping track:

Your new Triple-A minor league affiliates:

Mets to Syracuse.
Rangers to Nashville.
Astros to Round Rock.
A's to Las Vegas.
Nationals to Fresno. (that's like, right around the corner, right?)
Brewers to San Antonio. (formerly a AA club)

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
For those keeping track:

Your new Triple-A minor league affiliates:

Mets to Syracuse.
Rangers to Nashville.
Astros to Round Rock.
A's to Las Vegas.
Nationals to Fresno. (that's like, right around the corner, right?)
Brewers to San Antonio. (formerly a AA club)

A's to Fresno would be great. Nationals??

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
A's to Fresno would be great. Nationals??

If you thought that was bad...

Fresno to DC isn't the travel problem the Nationals are going to have. It's Harrisburg to Fresno. That's a two-layover trip (Harrisburg to DC to LAX/SFO to Fresno) that takes 11-12 hours.

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If you thought that was bad...

Fresno to DC isn't the travel problem the Nationals are going to have. It's Harrisburg to Fresno. That's a two-layover trip (Harrisburg to DC to LAX/SFO to Fresno) that takes 11-12 hours.

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Rough!! And you're also going into the inferno known as Fresno. At least the A's are on the time zone

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
To add one for the future, the New Orleans Baby Cakes (Marlins), from what I read in our local paper, will be moving to Wichita, KS in 2021.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As pointed out to me on Twitter, if you're a Brewers prospect, the higher up the ladder you climb, the further from Milwaukee you get.

From Appleton.....to Biloxi.....to San Antonio...?!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
To add one for the future, the New Orleans Baby Cakes (Marlins), from what I read in our local paper, will be moving to Wichita, KS in 2021.

Can't wait to see how that plays out as there might be a empty Triple-A level ballpark in Wichita for a year or two if the Baby Cakes are forced to meet their obligations in New Orleans and can't find a way out of that contract.

I'm surprised San Antonio didn't pair up with Texas. Nationals to Fresno surprised me, too (but it's official with the press release today) but being just 2 years, there is a good chance the Nats might move to somewhere more convenient for player movement after 2020 season.

I'm loving the new PCL alignment with essentially the divisional battle of Texas vs Oklahoma in the PCL south. Too bad El Paso couldn't join the Texas vs. Oklahoma party.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I’ve never understood why Major League teams have some their affiliates thousands of miles away.
I used to live in West Texas and our AA team was/is the Oakland A’s AA team. Why in Texas? The A’s are the Rangers’ and Astros’ division rival, but the team is in Texas.

There’d be a lot more A’s fans at the minor league games, and many more tickets sold, if the A’s minor league teams were in California or Nevada or Arizona or Oregon.

In contrast, I grew up in Dallas and the Texas Rangers’ AA team was 20 miles away in Frisco and the AAA was right across the border in Oklahoma City.
Frisco games were filled with 99% Rangers fans because that was the home Major League team. It was fun watching future players of your favorite team who could be called up to the Rangers.

But in Midland, Texas, at the A’s AA Rockhound games, most fans were Rangers or Astros fans, while also rooting for the “home” A’s minor league team. We loved our Rockhounds, but it was odd cheering on future members of our Major League division rival.

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm pretty excited about the Astros taking Round Rock from the Rangers. It's been fun watching Will Middlebrooks, Ronaldo Guzman, and the perennial appearance by Jurickson Profar up close, but Astros have become my Texas team in the last few years. They've got some interesting prospects. And I hate to say it because it likely means a rehab assignment, but I half hope to see George Springer there sometime.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I’ve never understood why Major League teams have some their affiliates thousands of miles away.
I used to live in West Texas and our AA team was/is the Oakland A’s AA team. Why in Texas? The A’s are the Rangers’ and Astros’ division rival, but the team is in Texas.

Part of it is that not every region has enough teams (or too many teams) to support regional MLB clubs. I think the Athletics decision to go to Nashville was because of the brand new First Tennessee Park since I seem to recall Sacramento and Fresno were also available that same year for affiliation if the A's wanted to go regional instead of better facilities.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Part of it is that not every region has enough teams (or too many teams) to support regional MLB clubs. I think the Athletics decision to go to Nashville was because of the brand new First Tennessee Park since I seem to recall Sacramento and Fresno were also available that same year for affiliation if the A's wanted to go regional instead of better facilities.
I've never been to the stadium in Tennessee, but Fresno's stadium is very nice

Members online