Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Fees On The Rise Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Looks like all FVFs will now be a staggering 10%. How much longer will we let this last? Here's the email:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2013 SPRING SELLER UPDATE

FREE fixed price listings* every month!

Dear Anthony,

As an eBay seller, you're in the best possible position to reach the millions of buyers flocking to the world's largest marketplace—many of them looking for just what you're selling. Updates coming this spring will make it easier than ever for you to cash in on that opportunity.

New: List up to 50 FREE* every month—Auction-style or fixed price.

• Starting April 16, your 50 free listings* per month can be Auction-style or fixed price. You pay a final value fee only when your item sells.
  • Final value fees will be streamlined to just one competitive flat rate of 10%—regardless of how you sell.
  • Get a FREE listing scheduler for more control over when your listings start and end.
Get details about how the new everyday rate plans impact you.

eBay's taking action to reduce unpaid items and keep your inventory available
Protection for your rating when you win a case

Starting in May, when you win an eBay Buyer Protection case, any feedback and related Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) left by the buyer on that transaction will be removed from your record.

Picture quality requirements now being enforced

Great pictures help sell your items—especially to the growing ranks of mobile buyers. That's why eBay introduced picture quality requirements for all pictures. Starting July 1, listings that don't meet these requirements may be blocked from upload or removed from the site after listing. You'll be able to access a rundown of listings with non-compliant pictures through eBay's bulk edit and relist tool later this year.

Let buyers know you ship the same day

You work hard to get your orders shipped promptly. Starting in late May, you'll be able to specify same-day handling when you list to help those items stand out.

Opt in now to manage your business policies the easy way

The new business policies functionality announced last year lets you define your shipping, return, and payment policies once and apply them to your listings with just a few clicks. This new functionality is available for all sellers so opt in now—all sellers will be opted in by default starting in late June.

Category updates

As always, eBay categories are updated to continually improve the shopping experience and help ensure interested buyers are able to find your items. Updates are coming the week of April 29 to the following categories. Find out how your listings may be affected:
  • Business & Industrial
  • Coins & Paper Money
  • Consumer Electronics
  • Cell Phones & Accessories
  • Health & Beauty
  • Home & Garden
  • Jewelry & Watches
  • eBay Motors
  • Pet Supplies
  • Sporting Goods
  • Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
  • Toys & Hobbies
  • Video Games & Consoles
More information
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
Michael Jones
Vice President,
Seller Development
[/FONT]

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
i guess my question is what a potentially world wide audience of people who may be interested specifically in your item worth to you?

Through the use of ebay, you have access to millions of potential buyers and i cant imagine that isnt worth a 10% cut.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
i guess my question is what a potentially world wide audience of people who may be interested specifically in your item worth to you?

Through the use of ebay, you have access to millions of potential buyers and i cant imagine that isnt worth a 10% cut.

Agreed, although it's funny how they make this announcement hidden in the middle of a long email that most people probably won't read.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Agreed, although it's funny how they make this announcement hidden in the middle of a long email that most people probably won't read.

Definitely noticed that.

People keep complaining about ebay fees but if you didnt have it as a vehicle to sell your items, how would you be doing it?

there is no single better way to move your items and has been proven by all the sites "that were going to kill ebay" it is not a cheap pursuit.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I do like the 50 free fixed price auctions per month. That is a little bit of savings, and if the items is less then $50 the 10% fee is slightly better then the 11% they currently charge. Overall however as we all know they will be getting more money from us. I am hoping eventually they get rid of listings fees all together

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
It's not going up for everything. If you are selling items under $50 it seems like it's going down from 11% to 10%. So my $25 sale FVF goes from 2.75 to 2.50. Not enough to make up the difference for the higher priced FVF change. $100 sales are $5.5+3 = 8.5 (8.5%) and will now be a flat 10% which certainly hurts. But unless you are selling a lot of $100+ items, there won't be too much of a difference

But in return, now instead of just 50 auction free listings a month, it can be 50 BIN/BO. If you use those, that's 50 *.5 and a savings of $25 a month. Now you don't have to wait for a listing special, although those have been frequent over the past few months anyways.

Also some new benefits to having a store, which I might go back to now

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
FVF - Auction style - 9%
FVF - Fixed Price - 11%

So they are just streamlining it to 10% across the board.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I always try to target $100+ items because I can get my total fees under 10% so this change will really hurt. Considering how many buyers and sellers I recognize on ebay from here and BO for prospect items, I think there are more realistic options for selling. The only bargains in this hobby are single cards and shipping. We all love the convenience of ebay and are paying more and more for it as a result. Whether or not the fees continue to increase is up to us as ebay users. Sure, it's a great option for selling many items and getting the most for our money, I just don't think we need to pay as much as we do for everything we want to sell.

[MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] Would creating an FCB store where we can import our ebay items into be a realistic option? The item costs and fees could be less than ebay, make you some money, and help prospectors [because so many of them are already here and on ebay] and eventually collectors save money.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I always try to target $100+ items because I can get my total fees under 10% so this change will really hurt. Considering how many buyers and sellers I recognize on ebay from here and BO for prospect items, I think there are more realistic options for selling. The only bargains in this hobby are single cards and shipping. We all love the convenience of ebay and are paying more and more for it as a result. Whether or not the fees continue to increase is up to us as ebay users. Sure, it's a great option for selling many items and getting the most for our money, I just don't think we need to pay as much as we do for everything we want to sell.

@cgilmo Would creating an FCB store where we can import our ebay items into be a realistic option? The item costs and fees could be less than ebay, make you some money, and help prospectors [because so many of them are already here and on ebay] and eventually collectors save money.
+

Once again, you are limiting your audience and those types of deals always fail in the long run. 10% is a bargain for the little you have to do...

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
The fees are changing for stores as well. Anyone who sells a lot should look into getting a store. It comes with a monthly fee, but you get more free listings and the final value fees are 9% instead of 10%, plus a lower percent for select categories.

I also noticed they're changing the auction with BIN from 10% over starting price to 30%. Now if you list something at auction and hope someone hits the BIN, you'll have to either start it lower and risk selling it for less or have the BIN at a higher price that will decrease the odds of someone using it.

Auction-style listings with Buy It Now:To keep the unique eBay Auction-style listings a great attraction for buyers, starting May 1, when you add Buy It Now to any Auction-style listing, it must be at least 30% over your listing’s start price.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
+

Once again, you are limiting your audience and those types of deals always fail in the long run. 10% is a bargain for the little you have to do...

COMC hasn't failed.

I think prospectors [and everyone else] are always looking for more money, whether it is by spending less or earning more. I recently sold you a card for $35 plus $2 shipping on ebay. Wouldn't you have preferred to save a couple bucks finding the card as a listing on FCB? If you could save 5% on only half the prospect cards you buy on ebay, but you have to buy them in a store on FCB, would the savings be worthwhile? I know it wouldn't for all, but I certainly would like that option.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Higher fees aside, I like the fact that ebay is finally doing something about NPBs by reducing the time to open a case to 2 days, as well as allowing items to remain for sale even if someone hits buy it now and does not pay right away.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
And if you have a store like I do.. I normally list about 20-30 items a month using auctions and fixed price.. and it has cost me $0.20 per listing for a store item and about $0.25 to $0.50 per auction.. So I will be saving money..

Highlights

• New eBay Stores subscriptions:
    • Starting May 1, 2013:
      • Pay no insertion fees on up to 2,500 total listings* per month with an Anchor Store subscription. The subscription fee for an Anchor store has been reduced to $179.95 per month with a yearly commitment and $199.95 for a monthly subscription.
      • Pay no insertion fees on up to 500 total FREE listings* per month with a Premium Store subscription: just $49.95 per month with a yearly commitment or $59.95 for a monthly subscription.
      • Pay no insertion fees on up to 150 total FREE listings* per month with a Basic Store subscription: just $15.95 per month with a yearly commitment or $19.95 for a monthly subscription.
    • Free listings* can be either fixed price or Auction-style.
    • As always, get up to 12 pictures per listing FREE (Motors Vehicles excluded).
    • Final value fees will be simplified to just five flat rates—as low as 4% and never more than 9% of the total amount of the sale—with a maximum fee of $250*.
    • Final value fees will always be lower with an eBay Stores subscription compared to standard fees, so if you sell more than 50 items a month, an eBay Stores subscriptionmay be the right option for you.

Last edited:

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
I remember when FVFs were like 2.5% but... I was being charged around 50 cents for every item in a single listing. Now I have almost an unlimited quantity and only pay 20 cents for that one listing. I sell a lot more and save tons compared to before, not to mention the 20% off if you're Top Rated.

I know this doesn't relate well to cards but you can put your prospect stashes into a single listing. I've been trying to get Ebay to add variation listings in the sportscards category. Have the buyer choose a serial number on a drop down and that exact card shows up on the picture(like on other variation listings).

For cards that aren't serial numbered I use letters or numbers to know which card belongs to each scan. Just write it on the back of the teambag or toploader.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Here is the email I got b/c I pay for a premium store ($200 a month).

2013 SPRING SELLER UPDATE

Step up to a Anchor Store and get up to 2500 FREE listings* every month!

Dear immaculate_and_exquisite,

As an eBay seller, you're in the best possible position to reach the millions of buyers flocking to the world's largest marketplace—many of them looking for just what you're selling. Updates coming this spring will make it easier than ever for you to cash in on that opportunity.

New: Get up to 2500 FREE listings* per month with a Anchor Store—pay a final value fee as low as 4% only when you sell.

Now eBay's dramatically reducing the upfront cost to sell for Store sellers. Starting May 1, with eBay's new everyday rate plans, you'll get up to 2500 FREE listings* per month —no insertion fees, Auction style or fixed price—with a Store subscription. So you can load up the inventory—pay a final value fee only when you sell.

Plus, the final value fees for Stores will be streamlined to just 5 competitive category-based rates as low as 4% (and never more than 9%)—regardless of how you sell.

Based on your recent selling activity, with a Anchor Store you'll pay the lowest fees for the way you sell. Get details about how the new everyday rate plans impact you.

Note, if you have a Stores subscription now, the new monthly fees and terms will automatically apply starting May 1 unless you change or cancel your subscription.

eBay's taking action to reduce unpaid items and keep your inventory available

Protection for your rating when you win a case

Starting in May, when you win an eBay Buyer Protection case, any feedback and related Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) left by the buyer on that transaction will be removed from your record.

Picture quality requirements now being enforced

Great pictures help sell your items—especially to the growing ranks of mobile buyers. That's why eBay introduced picture quality requirements for all pictures. Starting July 1, listings that don't meet these requirements may be blocked from upload or removed from the site after listing. You'll be able to access a rundown of listings with non-compliant pictures through eBay's bulk edit and relist tool later this year.

Let buyers know you ship the same day

You work hard to get your orders shipped promptly. Starting in late May, you'll be able to specify same-day handling when you list to help those items stand out.

Opt in now to manage your business policies the easy way

The new business policies functionality announced last year lets you define your shipping, return, and payment policies once and apply them to your listings with just a few clicks. This new functionality is available for all sellers so opt in now—all sellers will be opted in by default starting in late June.

Category updates

As always, eBay categories are updated to continually improve the shopping experience and help ensure interested buyers are able to find your items. Updates are coming the week of April 29 to the following categories. Find out how your listings may be affected:
  • Business & Industrial
  • Coins & Paper Money
  • Consumer Electronics
  • Cell Phones & Accessories
  • Health & Beauty
  • Home & Garden
  • Jewelry & Watches
  • eBay Motors
  • Pet Supplies
  • Sporting Goods
  • Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
  • Toys & Hobbies
  • Video Games & Consoles
More information
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
Michael Jones
Vice President,
Seller Development

Last edited:

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
I just sold a few things for a total of $1,080. The FVF was $108. Personally, I think 10% is a bit high.

Well... maybe it is. Its more than I'd prefer to pay certainly.

But until there is a company competing with Ebay... you're kind of stuck.

Ebay makes it simple, and somewhat safer than trying to work your own deals, as well as allowing you to reach a broader range of customers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts