Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Think long term for the business... They'll need an Apple headquarters size place to store all the cards hahaha

No chance long term they make it free to store worthless base. I can't imagine the "collection" COMC will have in 10 years. It'll be massive.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
In other news, as a buyer only and a player collector, it's helped me pick up a lot of cards.

The BV thing was a big blow IMO.

No communication with sellers will have to change eventually too.

---

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
In other news, as a buyer only and a player collector, it's helped me pick up a lot of cards.

The BV thing was a big blow IMO.

No communication with sellers will have to change eventually too.

---

They have that IQ thing where you can earn points to see BV, but that seems lame so I haven't bothered. I think I prefer the no communication though.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I've only been there a limited time but I'm loving COMC. Really enjoy it as a buyer and as people to continue to have success selling there will be more quality listed.

Concerning non-moving inventory, I could see them forcing shipment back eventually of product that isn't selling. It's something that will have to tackled eventually.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Like ASTROBURN I love COMC for picking up lower-end inserts for my collection, then shipping a big pile all at once to save money. The people talking about how most sellers have stuff priced too high have valid complaints...but it's that way for ebay, too. Go to ebay and look at BINs, 90% of those are so high that the seller must be smoking crack. I think there is more useless garbage on ebay at BIN than there is on COMC. I don't even bother looking at BINs other than for my supercollection or when I'm making an ebay holiday "wishlist". It's a waste of time to wade through all the crap to find maybe one thing worth making an offer on.

Yes to a degree. However, COMC almost always has high end cards over priced. Virtually 99% of the time sellers are pricing at double or triple the market value. EBay will normally have many of the same cards with some overpriced and normally a few that are priced BIN at market value. Lots of sellers on ebay will negotiate if you send a message as well. Tons of COMC sellers will put up Print plates or Red Refractors for 100+ just because they are low numbered when they will only get 10-20 in the normal market. AND on top of that plenty of sellers have it set where you can't even sell offers. I would love to know what they are smoking to think they can get 100 bucks for an average player printing plate. Just like what muskies said.

High end on COMC is a joke. Its really only good for lower end stuff and like many of you have said the bulk shipping is extremely nice (40 cards for 3-4 bucks instead of the 2 bucks to ship every card on ebay).

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
No chance long term they make it free to store worthless base. I can't imagine the "collection" COMC will have in 10 years. It'll be massive.

according to sports card radio podcast, it sounds like COMC is already starting to max out their warehouse right now, so it is a near term issue for them instead of something they will have to worry about 5 or 10 years out.

Can you imagine if COMC's solution was buy a prefab building to erect in the parking lot and tell their workers to carpool or take public transportation since parking lot space will be reduced? ;)

What COMC should do is limit selection to autos/relics/inserts since that is what most people likely buy on that site. With Sportlots where you could get one common delivered for about a buck, why would anyone pay $3.75 delivered for one common from COMC? COMC should yield the base common market to Sportlots and other sites where those cards sell better and concentrate on the autos/relics/inserts that have more of a chance of being sold instead of sitting there waiting and taking up space.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I'd agree with not allowing commons for submission as well. I know COMC clearly states they have the option to reject parts of submissions. I wonder why they aren't?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Is it fair to say they're the single largest collection of sportscards in a single location? What a liability lol

As for storage, it'll get massive and they'll have to figure something out. It'll have to be a massive super secure and essentially bullet proof place.

---

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Is it fair to say they're the single largest collection of sportscards in a single location? What a liability lol

As for storage, it'll get massive and they'll have to figure something out. It'll have to be a massive super secure and essentially bullet proof place.

---

I'd have to imagine that they aren't even in the top 50. Burbank claims to have 30 million+ cards in their inventory. I'd imagine Larry Fritsch has to have at least 20 million cards. Not to mention the many private collectors that have millions and millions of cards. I probably have 3-4 million cards (possibly another million or 2 more than that - they just keep accumulating).

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My COMC use has really increased since the USPS rates went up almost a year ago and ebay sellers started charging $7 or more to ship one card. My buying is more suited to the low end inserts and parallels on COMC so the $3 flat rate is the #1 reason for me to shop there.

I too have not been happy with the HitShow seller. His prices are really out of touch with reality sometimes, and he doesn't seem to accept any offers.

I think I'm pretty reasonable when making offers. I try not to lowball and I'd estimate at least 95% of my offers end in a successful transaction, either a straight-up acceptance or a counteroffer or two before one of us accepts. For cards that I think the price is close to reasonable, I just like to see that the seller is willing to negotiate. If the price is so high that even a fair offer close to ebay value could come across as "lowball", I don't bother but I keep the card on my watchlist in case it goes on sale or the price changes.

The removal of free BV is not really a big deal for me. Everyone knows Beckett values are not reflective of true value, plus the BV that used to be posted was at times over a year old. To me it's of more value to be able to get the previous sales info, which is what the points on COMC allow you to do, or you can just search ebay completed sales.

The COMC guy on FCB is [MENTION=10401]Moe@COMC[/MENTION] I believe. Maybe he can weigh in some of the points raised here.

- Rodrick

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
COMC isnt in a single location. I placed an order once and one of the cards came from canada.

hmmm... I know from the podcast I recently heard that they have a U.S. and a Canada location. I find it odd that you got a shipment from a Canadian address even though you seem to be in the United States.

I ASSumed the Canadian location was to make shipping cheaper to Canada (i.e. like truck Canadian orders across the border and ship them from Canada to keep from paying the USPS outrageous international shipping rates).

EDIT: Maybe Canadian postal rates to the U.S. aren't so bad that COMC can have a second warehouse in Canada instead of just a Canada postal mailing center there.

And I think it's also funny the podcaster mentioned anyone who has cards at COMC should feel safe and secure since their Seattle warehouse is in an upscale warehouse district. ;)

Last edited:

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Hey gang, I am *so* sorry I'm so late to this party...about 6 weeks ago, they moved me into customer service and the holidays were just flat out for me - so I missed the beginning of this thread.We just announced the end of our relationship with Beckett, and we're moving into some really new and exciting directions:http://blog.comc.com/2013/12/31/changing-the-shape-of-comc-in-2014/If you have a question, it's probably easier to contact me directly - either thru FCB or email me at [email protected]. I'm responsible for the emails we receive in Customer Service so I'll see anything that gets emailed to us.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He did that too me too. I found the card cheaper and have not bought anything from him since and that card he tried that crap with me, well he ended up adjusting the price lower than my offer at a later date. He still might even own it Looks to be a bit of a tool.

Just made an offer to joelXXXXsshow and he countered by raising his prices on the cards. Ugh.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There is lots of space in the business park where they are located, but that would mean a move or expansion into another building. Increased costs, but maybe they can swing it.

I didn't get the grand tour, but saw some of their operation and it didn't look full at that time (but that was 6 months or more back, maybe longer).

according to sports card radio podcast, it sounds like COMC is already starting to max out their warehouse right now, so it is a near term issue for them instead of something they will have to worry about 5 or 10 years out.

Can you imagine if COMC's solution was buy a prefab building to erect in the parking lot and tell their workers to carpool or take public transportation since parking lot space will be reduced? ;)

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
What COMC should do is limit selection to autos/relics/inserts since that is what most people likely buy on that site. With Sportlots where you could get one common delivered for about a buck, why would anyone pay $3.75 delivered for one common from COMC? COMC should yield the base common market to Sportlots and other sites where those cards sell better and concentrate on the autos/relics/inserts that have more of a chance of being sold instead of sitting there waiting and taking up space.

One of COMC's greatest attributes is that, being a card aggregator, you only have to pay one shipping cost to have the cards of thousands of sellers shipped to you. I'm not about to spend $3.75 on a common, on COMC or any other site. However, because COMC has so many other cards, I (and no doubt countless others) add commons in with other orders.

For example, I just had COMC ship 76 cards to me, of which 22 cost $1 or less. Chances are, if those cards were on eBay, I would have purchased none of them; the combined $19.19 that I spent on COMC for those cards, and their share of shipping ($3.5/76 per card) would have cost about $84 on eBay (assuming $3 s/h per card). That's absolutely ridiculous, and one of the reasons why I really like COMC. As cheap as Sportlots may be, COMC tends to be the cheaper option if you are buying more than a few cards.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Hey gang, I am *so* sorry I'm so late to this party...about 6 weeks ago, they moved me into customer service and the holidays were just flat out for me - so I missed the beginning of this thread.We just announced the end of our relationship with Beckett, and we're moving into some really new and exciting directions:http://blog.comc.com/2013/12/31/changing-the-shape-of-comc-in-2014/If you have a question, it's probably easier to contact me directly - either thru FCB or email me at [email protected]. I'm responsible for the emails we receive in Customer Service so I'll see anything that gets emailed to us.

From the blog post:

What does this mean for COMC?
We will replace the catalog data we received from Beckett over the years with a new catalog we are building from scratch. We will also replace the book value information on the website with a new “suggested list price” based on our sales data.

While these are daunting tasks that will require enormous amounts of effort, all of us here at COMC are eager to participate in this project. COMC was built by collectors for collectors. We listen to your needs and care deeply about providing the best service possible for you. Now we have the incredible opportunity to offer that same level of service for catalog and pricing data.

Members online