Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fan busted for dumping ashes on the field in Rogers Centre

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The ashes were thought to be human remains, but never confirmed. Kind of neat way to be eternally part of your favorite team. Also kind of cool that until about a decade ago some teams allowed fans to do it.

The Colby Rasmus near the beginning and Chad Jenkins quote at the end are pretty funny!

I'd argue the part about the ashes just getting vacuumed up and never becoming part of the field though. The turf at Rogers Centre has a base consisting of some sort of sand or dirt (you can see it kick up when a ball bounces on it), so the ashes do sort of become part of the field.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...n_turf_during_jays_game_at_rogers_centre.html

Last edited:

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
The ashes were thought to be human remains, but never confirmed. Kind of neat way to be eternally part of your favorite team. Also kind of cool that until about a decade ago some teams allowed fans to do it.

The Colby Rasmus near the beginning and Chad Jenkins quote at the end are pretty funny!

I'd argue the part about the ashes just getting vacuumed up and never becoming part of the field though. The turf at Rogers Centre has a base consisting of some sort of sand or dirt (you can see it kick up when a ball bounces on it), so the ashes do sort of become part of the field.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...n_turf_during_jays_game_at_rogers_centre.html

Most artificial turf uses small rubber pellets to simulate dirt, which is what you see kicking up when a ball hits it (or someone slides, etc.). Here's a picture from Google:

140520_crump_rubber_pellets_660.jpg

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I actually think MLB franchises should offer this sort of service.

I agree. Not a person's entire cremated remains, but even maybe a couple of tablespoons sprinkled around.

Most artificial turf uses small rubber pellets to simulate dirt, which is what you see kicking up when a ball hits it (or someone slides, etc.).

Rogers Centre turf is Astroturf® and according to the company website it's a mix of rubber (ground up tires) and sand, so I guess we're both right. ;)

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
USA Today columnist Christine Brennan admits that she scattered her dad's ashes in the Univ of Michigan endzone in 2004. I think she mentioned it in her book. If my grandfather had asked to have his ashes scattered at Nationals Park, I would've done it in a heartbeat. And I have access to the field whenever I want. Some things matter more than getting arrested or what other repercussions might come. And a lot of times it's easier/better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
USA Today columnist Christine Brennan admits that she scattered her dad's ashes in the Univ of Michigan endzone in 2004. I think she mentioned it in her book. If my grandfather had asked to have his ashes scattered at Nationals Park, I would've done it in a heartbeat. And I have access to the field whenever I want. Some things matter more than getting arrested or what other repercussions might come. And a lot of times it's easier/better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

Pass on getting arrested. Also, as my grandfather and father have taught me to play by the law, I won't be spreading ashes on baseball stadiums.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
My wife and I spread her fathers "ashes" and I can tell you all that the remains are not ashes. More like gravel with chunks of bone. This is not something you want spread out on a ball field. I'll never be able to watch a tv show where they open their hands and gently let the ashes blow away in the wind without thinking... BS!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts