Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why PSA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griffey0718

Jan 16, 2016
I have been long time curious that why old card with PSA has much more market value than BGS.
For example 1989 Bowman Tiffany Griffey Jr rc (PSA 10 version ) goes as much as 1800USD. but the other Gem mint of BGS 9.5 just went 900 USD.
Had someone tried purchase some of BGS and get it graded PSA?
have any ideas?

나의 SM-N900K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
PSA has a significant position in the market for a number of reasons but it all started with its very first card grade submission, the famous PSA 8 T206 Honus Wagner. That gave PSA a lot of credibility. Since then, PSA has been the staple for vintage registry collectors. This helps drive market values up.

Some collectors might also feel that since PSA grades a variety of collectables, not just cards, and doesn't have a price guide, it makes for minimal, if any, conflict of interest. This can be desireable and act as a possible deciding factor as to which grading company to which to submit.

Finally, given that all PSA flips are essentially of the same design - red border, black print on white paper, uniformity can sometimes be more collectable.

I've also heard, and possibly most importantly, that PSAs grading standards are somewhat more strict, which would mean that higher grades in PSA cases are considered by some to be superior to competitors.

Predictable and expected human error aside, I think all of these factors make for a strong market position for PSA.

As far as the BGS to PSA crossover, I've never done it but for those I know who have, I've never heard of an upgrade.

1999-ultimate-victory-parallel-1of1-no-serial-number-27-psa10.jpg

Last edited:

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
The Registry. Where collectors, display and compete with their collections. Higher grading standards than BGS, I have seen more and more O/C BGS 9.5 cards lately. BGS will slab sheet cut cards, and there have been several trimmed cards that have entered BGS slabs because their tolerance for card size is greater than PSA. The Registry is very very important though.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
PSA Registry for the win. As mentioned it is a huge venue for sets and HOF collectors.
BGS has the market on modern prospect cards

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I would argue on higher grading standards. I know I had a few cards I was selling through Dave a while ago I wanted both to be graded by beckett only if they got a BGS 9.5 which beckett said no it would not get a BGS 9.5 grade yet he brought them to PSA and he got them both with a PSA 10 grade. So I would have to argue that they don't have a higher standard. It honestly think it depends on the grader and the day there having rather than the company. I have also seen others grade the same card 3 or 4 times till they got the grade they want. I agree though most people like PSA for the registry and I like both PSA for the registry and BGS for the holder and subgrades.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
They both do. As not all grading is consistent. I have been burned trying to crack and cross too many times,

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
The registry is a huge factor...Whether it's a certain set, certain team, or a certain player, people are always competing to have the best. PSA's registry and website are well-organized, and Beckett's pretty much sucks from an organizational standpoint.

I've done about 25-30 crossovers from PSA to BGS (busted the cards out of PSA cases, to submit to BGS), and overall they probably were 0.5-1 point higher, on average.

I've also done the BGS to PSA crossover (busted the cards out of the BGS cases, thinking I could make a lot of money), and overall they averaged 0.5-1 point lower, on average.

Additionally, I've done over 1,000 submissions between the 2, and based on my experience, PSA is generally tougher.

Sure, you'll find the occasional "how did this get a 10?", or "how did this get a 9.5?", but overall both companies are pretty darn consistent. One final thought on the vintage vs. modern is that in my opinion, the older cards look nicer in a PSA case, and the newer "shiny" cards display well in a BGS case.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
The registry is a huge factor...Whether it's a certain set, certain team, or a certain player, people are always competing to have the best. PSA's registry and website are well-organized, and Beckett's pretty much sucks from an organizational standpoint.

I've done about 25-30 crossovers from PSA to BGS (busted the cards out of PSA cases, to submit to BGS), and overall they probably were 0.5-1 point higher, on average.

I've also done the BGS to PSA crossover (busted the cards out of the BGS cases, thinking I could make a lot of money), and overall they averaged 0.5-1 point lower, on average.

Additionally, I've done over 1,000 submissions between the 2, and based on my experience, PSA is generally tougher.

Sure, you'll find the occasional "how did this get a 10?", or "how did this get a 9.5?", but overall both companies are pretty darn consistent. One final thought on the vintage vs. modern is that in my opinion, the older cards look nicer in a PSA case, and the newer "shiny" cards display well in a BGS case.

This pretty much sums up my opinions.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

I have had the exact opposite in my graded submissions I tried to get a PSA 8 regarded to BGS and it got a BGS 7 then submitted the card back to PSA only to get a PSA 8 again. I have had a total of 8 cards I crossed over seeing the best option for my PC and all of them PSA held the higher grade. So I generally will now if I have doubles get them graded by beckett the lower grade I will crack out the case and resubmit to PSA to sell. I have a few I need to submit soon but just have been busy. But as far as vintage cards go SGC is the way to go as it's a nicer look to me but for sales value PSA sells better.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
For me, it's the look and feel. I hate BGS thick slabs, and thicker plastic and the soft sleeves hinder the clarity and eye appeal of the card itself. The soft sleeves also reflect light and make scanned BGS cards look bad. I also hate BGS flip color variations. Also, BGS introducing Black Label was the last straw for me. You used to almost never see quad 10 subgrades, but then they introduce the black label and now you see them pretty frequently. There's no way that they haven't relaxed their standards, and at some point, the premium for gem cards is going to start reflecting that. I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
For me, it's the look and feel. I hate BGS thick slabs, and thicker plastic and the soft sleeves hinder the clarity and eye appeal of the card itself. The soft sleeves also reflect light and make scanned BGS cards look bad. I also hate BGS flip color variations. Also, BGS introducing Black Label was the last straw for me. You used to almost never see quad 10 subgrades, but then they introduce the black label and now you see them pretty frequently. There's no way that they haven't relaxed their standards, and at some point, the premium for gem cards is going to start reflecting that. I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

I think it has, and I cannot agree more with all of your points. Anyone else remember the very o/c Stephen Straussberg superfractor that was a gem 9.5. ?

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show

I agree with all that too and would add they grade "sheet cut" cards too. Yes I am sure PSA and SGC have too but BGS seems like they don't care at all.

Members online