Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Fernandez Headed to the DL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
[MENTION=1888]JoshHamilton[/MENTION] has been quiet since this news broke. I sure hope he's still with us.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Sounds to me like the Marlins need to ship Giancarlo Stanton to St. Louis for some pitching depth. Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, Allen Craig or Matt Adams as well as others.

Get it done. Right [MENTION=1888]JoshHamilton[/MENTION] ?

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
And most of those pitchers didnt not start 28 games their rookie year (only a year and 1/2 after being drafted/signed) they spent a couple years in the minors then were sept call ups and pitched in very few games and just a few more the following year (if they werent sent back down to the minors)...

Simply not true. Just from the guys Austin listed:

Scheib threw 116 innings at age 20 and 199 at age 21
Feller threw 62 at age 17, 149 at age 18, 277 at age 19, and 296 at age 20
Mathewson threw 336 at age 20
Walter Johnson threw 110 at age 19 and 256 at age 20
Ryan threw 134 at age 21
Gooden thre 218 at age 19 and 276 at age 20
Maddux threw 156 at age 21
Carlton threw 25 at age 20 and 52 at age 21
Saberhagen threw 158 at age 20 and 235 at age 21

Compared to the 172 innings that Fernandez threw in his age 20 season, everyone on that list except Carlton had at least a comparable work load. And there are dozens and dozens of other examples throughout history.

When guys are as good as Fernandez - and he has arguably been the best pitcher in the game the last year plus - teams plug them in at a very young age. And well they should. In order to maximize their investment, they need to get these guys at the big league level as quickly as possible. That is not to say you don't be smart about it but if you can have a guy like Fernandez for 150 dominating innings at the major league level or 150 innings in AA, the choice is pretty clear. Even with the service time concerns, you just don't know how much time you have before a guy gets hurt.

Young promotions are nothing new and therefore it is highly unlikely they have anything to do with the rash of torn elbow ligaments. The two obvious things that have changed the past 20 years or so is more guys are throwing in the mid-90's than ever before and kids are playing extenseive year round travel ball. There is still no way to prove those are the explanations either but we need to look at what is different to ever have a chance. Or it could just be there is nothing to do to prevent injuries beyond not pitching.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I don't think this has anything to do with innings and everything to do with mechanics. Guys who pitch certain ways are more apt to damage their arms.

Guys who have never had arm issues and make it 4-5 years without any are usually pretty safe bets to never need any work done. I'm changing my buying habits on young pitchers. I din't lose very much on these recent TJ guys, but I don't like losing anything and I won't be losing any more, I'll tell you that. I should have put every penny I spent on Strasburg and Fernandez into known commodities like Hernandez and Kershaw. Verlander, Lester, Weaver, Hudson, Buehrle, here I come. lol

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Simply not true. Just from the guys Austin listed:

Scheib threw 116 innings at age 20 and 199 at age 21
Feller threw 62 at age 17, 149 at age 18, 277 at age 19, and 296 at age 20
Mathewson threw 336 at age 20
Walter Johnson threw 110 at age 19 and 256 at age 20
Ryan threw 134 at age 21
Gooden thre 218 at age 19 and 276 at age 20
Maddux threw 156 at age 21
Carlton threw 25 at age 20 and 52 at age 21
Saberhagen threw 158 at age 20 and 235 at age 21

Compared to the 172 innings that Fernandez threw in his age 20 season, everyone on that list except Carlton had at least a comparable work load. And there are dozens and dozens of other examples throughout history.

When guys are as good as Fernandez - and he has arguably been the best pitcher in the game the last year plus - teams plug them in at a very young age. And well they should. In order to maximize their investment, they need to get these guys at the big league level as quickly as possible. That is not to say you don't be smart about it but if you can have a guy like Fernandez for 150 dominating innings at the major league level or 150 innings in AA, the choice is pretty clear. Even with the service time concerns, you just don't know how much time you have before a guy gets hurt.

Young promotions are nothing new and therefore it is highly unlikely they have anything to do with the rash of torn elbow ligaments. The two obvious things that have changed the past 20 years or so is more guys are throwing in the mid-90's than ever before and kids are playing extenseive year round travel ball. There is still no way to prove those are the explanations either but we need to look at what is different to ever have a chance. Or it could just be there is nothing to do to prevent injuries beyond not pitching.

Maybe you need to reread what I said...

Ryan drafted 65 started 1 game in 66 didnt pitch again till 69 when he only started 18 game
Maddux drafted 84 started 5 games in 86
Carlton drafted 63 started 2 games in 65, started 9 games in 66
Saberhagen drafted 82 started 18 games 84
Scheib may have been called up at 16 but never started more then 24 games his entire career and his 1st 4 years pitched in a total of 21 games non starting

Fernandez drafted 2011 started 28 games in 13

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I think the cause is kids playing year round and travel ball from a very early age. Most start now at 9 or 10 years old. Too much stress at too young of an age for far too many years. What has changed more than anything in baseball the past 30 years? Travel teams and year round pitching instruction. There are only so many bullets in the gun.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
All these kids coming up and breaking down is a shame. Theres got to be something that can be done to protect them while there still developing as teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
@JoshHamilton has been quiet since this news broke. I sure hope he's still with us.

They were in first place for one day in May. I'd consider that a successful season, sadly.

For selfish reasons, I'm glad I'll probably be able to get a blue auto for $250 in several months. They were selling for $500 before that.

As much as it sucks, at least we aren't the Cubs!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts