Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone have any recollections of 1994 Topps Finest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I was reading about the 1993 Finest set and the impact that it had on the hobby when it was released. I had just bought the 1993 Finest Indians team set, and have the 1994 issue on the way.

Its seems like the 1993 set really hit the ground running. I have to think that people were excited about the 1994 issue when it came out. One thing I read was that Topps pumped up the production on the 1994 set. Was that well known at the time? How excited were people when the 1994 set came out? Was there any cards/inserts that people were falling over each other for? Any memories you have about this set would be great!

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Production was massively increased for 1994 Finest. No big rookies as I recall, refractors were made more than 1 per box and perhaps for the first time of many, Topps takes a great idea and kills it the next.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
That is what I was thinking. Its a shame. If they would have kept the numbers down the set could have continued to be something special.

Thanks! Going to write a blog post about the Indians sets that I got, and am trying to get a better feel for what people thought about these sets. I was too young to remember--too busy using paper route money to scour the 25 cent bins...

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Refractors were two per box, there were two series, they were kind of ugly, the refractors were very dark, plus the '94 strike killed interest.

Theyre pretty difficult to find in gem mint, especially refractors.

Jan 14, 2009
Any memories you have about this set would be great!

I recall the Mondesi refractor (and base card) being very hot for a while. I think the shop I worked at were moving the base cards at $20+ a piece, riding off the 1993 Piazza hype that was still going full steam at the time. We had a refractor in a lucite screwdown but I can't recall the price of it. I remember getting phone calls for that card.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I did not like the look of 1994 Finest at all. 1995 came back with a nice design and 96/97 ect introduced the the different colors schemes , embossed , die cuts etc. So I think they recovered from the 94 blah product

Ryan

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I remember buying a few packs and being kind of disappointed. I couldn't really afford 93 when it got hot. So I thought I'd make up for that in 94. I should have bought more in 95 but I was boycotting baseball cards because of the strike.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
1994 was my favorite Finest set because of the color combinations. I collected the Phillies cards. Also the Thome base, pre-production, and refractor cards.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I remember in 1994 I was still hunting for a 1993 refractor! 94 wasn't a bad set or design, just more plentiful. The baseball strike, as [MENTION=1888]JoshHamilton[/MENTION] noted, really killed all card interest for many fans for a period of time. Always thought 1995 Finest was the ugliest.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
The Preview were Nice :)
1994toppssamplers.jpg

But as for everything, Nothing can compare to the First year

94Finestrefractor232.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts