Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When others find out about your obsession

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I like to think that on the outside, I present myself as a normal(ish) type of person. People who know me, know I love baseball, baseball cards and collecting. I like to think that there is a bit of ... "charm" for lack of better words, associated with being an adult who enjoys baseball & baseball cards.

The very fact that we are here in our free time on the forums discussing the sport/hobby we love so much shows that we are a bit over the top...fanatics if you will. When this comes out, "outsiders" may tend to ridicule us.

I remember when the switch was flipped for me from collecting cards to focusing exclusively on Canseco cards / memorabilia. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I set out to not be one of those guys who had posters plastered all over his walls. No disrespect at all to you folks who do it like this guy:

National Geographic Hardcore Hobbies : Andy Van Slyke
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/videos/baseball-cards-galore/

(Speaking of which ... check out one of his you tube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LdkV5Rpw8 - he's a riot! Love it.)

Anyway, slowly but surely, as I began to get more and more cool things, I just had to display them. I'm not to the point yet where it looks like I need to light candles for a shrine or anything, but I have had a few people up in my office, and the looks on their faces showed that they were in total awe and amazement. (More accurately read: They looked horrified.)

As I am slowly but surely able to adapt and better hide the crazy, (why do you have his game used socks draped on your hutch, Mouschi?) I thought it would be fun to hear what off the wall feedback everyone else had for their obsession.

If you are uncertain at being able to read the body language / faces of those whom you have blessed with the knowledge of your obsession, I've put together a chart, expressed in emojis:

I love baseball! :)!
I collect baseball cards :p
I enjoy going online to read about other collections :ugeek:
I enjoy "showing off" my collection to others by taking pictures and putting them online, eagerly awaiting feedback from others :p
I ONLY collect a certain team/player, as shown by my tattoos and/or throw rug :eek:

So, what have others told you when they found out about your obsession?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
My wife has told me, and I quote, "You're gay for Josh Johnson".

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I've quoted my daughter before. "Daddy, you're weird. You are a grown man collecting pictures of other grown men." Now my friends have a much more eloquent way of putting it. It's more along the lines of ******* humor to them.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Wait!? Are you saying I'm the weirdest of the weird with my Mets tattoo and throw rugs? Cuz I'd say my obsessive collection pales in contrast to yours...and my parents got me those throw rugs!
;)

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I always thought the Andy Van Slyke guy was Dustin (Hawk8) in disguise :p ;)

I like the Andy Van Slyke guy although he needs to get all that over sized stuff in plastic and stop putting his hands on it! If I was a video guy, I could make some videos like this and then everyone could think I was crazy too lol

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
My girlfriend is very cool with it, her sister's husband made a comment first time at my house. "Hmmmmm all of those Bernie williams? "

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The first thing I'm asked when I tell people I collect baseball cards is usually, "Ya have any that are worth anything?"

I also was written up for my player collection (by a hobby magazine, not a psychiatrist!) back in 2008. Canadian Sports Collector was like a Canadian version of Tuff Stuff, though it went under a few years ago. My collection and my first time meeting Olerud were featured, and it was just as flattering as Brad's write-up... the term "man crush" was used. :rolleyes:
1457878531543.jpg

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Nobody should be surprised. :p

It's all good brother. Keep trucking!

Most people, I don't tell. I just keep to myself. I get an amalgam of "Oh I used to collect" or "Are those still worth anything?" type or remarks. Which leads to a 30 minute conversation(with 29 minutes of it being their turn to speak) where they tell me their whole life story and how they used to collect. The other 1 minute leads to me offering to show them a few of my cards and then they think they are cool. Then they ask what they cost. Then they tell me how stupid that is. Then every time thereafter they see me they give me that look like I'm the dummy when they talk about dropping 300 buck in the club or bar the night before.

Yeah, I'd rather not.;)

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
The first thing I'm asked when I tell people I collect baseball cards is usually, "Ya have any that are worth anything?"

I also was written up for my player collection (by a hobby magazine, not a psychiatrist!) back in 2008. Canadian Sports Collector was like a Canadian version of Tuff Stuff, though it went under a few years ago. My collection and my first time meeting Olerud were featured, and it was just as flattering as Brad's write-up... the term "man crush" was used. :rolleyes:
View attachment 60553

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

I love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts