Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why has your collecting slowed down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrian D.

Dec 7, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Because with not much disposable income, I have been only collecting super low value cards. However, because they are low value cards, nobody wants to do any trading involving them, which has left my collecting at a standstill. I might have spent about $30 this entire year on cards.

Last edited:

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
For me it is the lack of licensed products. Back in 2005, I put together 15 different sets. Now in 2014, just the basic Topps set. I tried the Topps mini, but do not think I will do it again, as that has worn out it's niche. I worked on my early 70's sets to appease the need, but now I am down to the last few on those, so even my vintage goals are almost met.

My main player has not been in much product for years, although he is mentioned in the sports section almost every day during the season.

Basically, nothing interests me anymore for my collection. I will continue with the basic Topps set, but only because I have everything from 1970 to today, so stopping that run of complete sets would be tough to do at this point.

JMO.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
1. The current product sucks. I'm getting sick of all the parallels and variations Topps and Panini dishes out.

2. No LCS where I live. I travel 50 miles to a shop a few times a year and usually leave disappointed.

3. Cards that I'm interested in at COMC are usually listed at 2-4 times what they sell for on EBAY for some weird reason.

4. Frank Thomas 90s inserts have gone up in value the past year, so I have to be more selective.

5. 80s/90s oddball cards are tough to find but they have very little value. It's not worth the effort or money anymore.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
There are a couple reasons that I am slimming down pretty heavy on what I collect:

1. Prospecting is killing me. I am tired of having to pay inflated prices since other people are gambling. I am not in this for the money, and I am tired of paying like I am.

2. The product does kind of suck. I love all the unlicensed stuff coming out, since I think the designs are blowing away the licensed competition. But the players are getting old, since it seems to be the same players over and over on every checklist.

3. As an autograph collector: I love a bunch of people that I meet online...but in person...I am embarrassed to stand with 3/4 of the people that I meet. Even the dudes that seem like they are well adjusted really start to make me uncomfortable with the way they talk about collecting. "I JUST NEED JUSTIN MASTERSON ON THESE LAST 75 CARDS AND THEN I AM DONE WITH HIM. UNTIL THE NEW HERITAGE COMES OUT." Its walks a fine line between collecting and hording.

Off topic, but kinda on topic: I hopped over the blowout forum for the first time in years. Man, it gets hostile in there, quick. And half the time I am not sure you can blame one side or another...its just a bunch of trolls with flame throwers. Not everyone, of course, but man.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
MLB granting Topps an exclusive license
chrome gambling
Unlicensed product flooding the market since their costs are lower

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Congrats on the birth of your son.

Thanks [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION]

Still slow here but finally getting back into swing. Found another Erstad collector who is bailing so I'll be able to piece together some wantlist items.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I usually do all my card buying during the spring/summer seasons where My wife and I can travel to various card shows, Antique Festivals etc and pick up what I can

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1) Exclusive Topps License
- Don't produce cards of Mark Grace
- Product creativity is at all-time low, same **** different day
2) High Cost of New Wax
- Have a hard time paying more than $5 a pack
3) Unlicensed Product
- Don't like the air-brushing
4) Decision to stop busting wax
- Buying singles on secondary market so much cheaper
- Focus shifting to vintage
5) Lack of room
- Tired of house filling up with 5,000 ct. boxes
- Quality vs. Quantity now more of a priority

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1) Exclusive Topps License
- Don't produce cards of Mark Grace
- Product creativity is at all-time low, same **** different day
2) High Cost of New Wax
- Have a hard time paying more than $5 a pack
3) Unlicensed Product
- Don't like the air-brushing
4) Decision to stop busting wax
- Buying singles on secondary market so much cheaper
- Focus shifting to vintage
5) Lack of room
- Tired of house filling up with 5,000 ct. boxes
- Quality vs. Quantity now more of a priority

Are you collecting the Panini Mark Grace stuff?

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
I've only slowed down because my list of Ellis Burks cards I need is getting smaller and its all I collect. It would speed up if people would list his cards but nobody seems to be in a mad rush to do that lol. Come on Ebay!!!

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
1. I feel like the good ol' days are LONG gone. (Just like the 90's NBA!)
2. Just not into it anymore & too expensive.
3. Life has shifted my interest away from following the major sports, in general, like I used to.

But really...

4. I literally only need 17 total cards to complete my collection!

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
The Frank Thomas pieces I still need are finely woven into the mythical status of scarcity.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Me it's finding the cards I want and prices since I only collect 1992 to 1999 Derek Jeter cards and being under at about 540 left to include 1 of 1's and the rare Topps Tek cards accounting for 100+ of the cards I need it will slow you down a lot.

Members online

Latest posts