Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeter Topps RC makes history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, then we need to find out which team has the most rookie card appearances so far for HOFers.

I'll try to come up with Dodgers. Are we talking for newer years, first Topps card?

Dick Williams 1952T
Tom Lasorda 1954T
Sandy Koufax 1955T
Walter Alston 1956T
Don Drysdale 1957T
Don Sutton 1966T
Mike Piazza 1993T
Pedro Martinez 1993T?

That may be hard to beat...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
But like Pedro was in what, 91UD?

The Topps being a RC is the tough qualifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Even without Pedro 6 dodgers would be hard to beat. Without looking and just using my noggin I can only think of 4 red Sox, yaz, fisk rice and boggs.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Well, then we need to find out which team has the most rookie card appearances so far for HOFers.

I'll try to come up with Dodgers. Are we talking for newer years, first Topps card?

Dick Williams 1952T
Tom Lasorda 1954T
Sandy Koufax 1955T
Walter Alston 1956T
Don Drysdale 1957T
Don Sutton 1966T
Mike Piazza 1993T
Pedro Martinez 1993T?

That may be hard to beat...

Piazza was in 1992 Bowman and 1992 Fleer Update. Martinez was in 1991 Upper Deck Final Edition.

Cardinals tie the Dodgers for players but not if Managers are included
Gibson - 1959 Topps
Steve Carlton - 1965 Topps
Ted Simmons - 1971 Topps

Fun thought exercise

Last edited:

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
Reminds me of a simpler time when something like that card might have actually been that players first card issued. Part of the reason I have no desire to chase modern rookies. You practically need a PHD to figure it out sometimes, and then still someone will argue a counterpoint as to why some other card is the "true" rookie.

just your personal and close minded stance showing again. then right on cue, back into your pro-dodger nonsense.

you don't think vintage has these same nuances?

check into bill davis, then get back to us.

65davis10.jpg

66davis9oc.jpg

67davis9.jpg

68davis9.jpg

69davis8.6253.jpg

and, yes. just like modern, he has multiple variations as well.

C4DFAE10-E035-48F2-A0EE-E1A91D7ED8D4.jpg

and if billy boy isn't enough, how about lou pinella, phil niekro, etc...

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Not to derail the thread, but that Bill Davis thing is awesome. I knew about Piniella having a range of rookie star subset cards, actually across a wider range of years, but Davis takes it to a new level with 5 in a row. Looking at it through the lens of people who subscribe to the supremacy of the RC Logo, his RC would be the 1966. He debuted 9/16/65. I don't know when 1965 high series came out, but it was likely before then. The MLB cutoff for call-ups who deserve the logo has been sometime in June most of the time. So his 1965 card might have been tagged as a "call-up" and his 1966 would get the logo.

Back closer to topic, the Cubs are up there with 5. Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Santo, Lee Smith, and Billy Williams.

On the other hand, counting the number of people with Topps cards is limited because Topps has not been around as long as the Hall, and a number of teams are younger than Topps. One could look at it by percentages. For instance, 100% of Astro inductees have in-uniform Topps RCs (Biggio and Bagwell). Expos, too, with Carter, Dawson, and Raines.

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
Not to derail the thread, but that Bill Davis thing is awesome. I knew about Piniella having a range of rookie star subset cards, actually across a wider range of years, but Davis takes it to a new level with 5 in a row. Looking at it through the lens of people who subscribe to the supremacy of the RC Logo, his RC would be the 1966. He debuted 9/16/65. I don't know when 1965 high series came out, but it was likely before then. The MLB cutoff for call-ups who deserve the logo has been sometime in June most of the time. So his 1965 card might have been tagged as a "call-up" and his 1966 would get the logo.

Back closer to topic, the Cubs are up there with 5. Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Santo, Lee Smith, and Billy Williams.

On the other hand, counting the number of people with Topps cards is limited because Topps has not been around as long as the Hall, and a number of teams are younger than Topps. One could look at it by percentages. For instance, 100% of Astro inductees have in-uniform Topps RCs (Biggio and Bagwell). Expos, too, with Carter, Dawson, and Raines.

5 freaking years! then adding injury to insult, the poor guy never ended up w/ a solo card!

and wasnt trying to derail the thread either bc the yankee topps rookie card thing is a great trivia question! just threw the davis thing out there to show that theres no need to knock modern vs vintage, team vs team or player vs player. its all cardboard in the end. knocking someones collecting preferences is for rookies. the word community is spawned from the two words “common” and “unity” and ill just leave it at that!

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Piazza was in 1992 Bowman and 1992 Fleer Update. Martinez was in 1991 Upper Deck Final Edition.

Cardinals tie the Dodgers for players but not if Managers are included
Gibson - 1959 Topps
Steve Carlton - 1965 Topps
Ted Simmons - 1971 Topps

Fun thought exercise

Yes, the Rivera comment threw me off. I guess if first Topps card was OK, then Mantle would be in the mix. I knew Piazza and Pedro definitely did not have true Topps RCs.

Now if managers didn't count, the original trivia question would have been born this year, as Cox was the only previous Yankee RC before Jeter to make the HOF (as a manager).

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
key point is topps rc. 52 mantle isnt the rookie. unless you wanna go all contradictory, modern definitions.

1st bowman, topps rc! ; )

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011

I was blown away by the Bill Davis mess too. Also, the 1987 Topps Traded Greg Maddux should count for the Cubs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

toadfan106

May 2, 2009

Actually, the Cubs have 7 - Bruce Sutter and Greg Maddux were also pictured as Cubs on their respective rookie cards.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Oh yeah, good catch. I was looking at a list but I think it's going by their plaque hats, Cards and Braves, respectively.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who is up for compiling the entire HOF Topps RC list by team? I might dig into it one of these weekend if nobody else has the time and interest. I am very curious now.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Off the top of my head so I might be missing players:

Expos: Dawson Johnson Walker Carter

Padres: Gwynn Alomar

Rangers Marlins Rockies
No one

A's: Reggie Henderson Hunter

Mets Ryan Seaver

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts