Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scott Kazmir Traded to the Astros For Daniel Mengden/Jacob Nottingham

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
We have our first trade. Kazmir was seen hugging his teammates goodbye, and Rosenthal confirmed the trade to the Astros.

Looking forward to seeing which prospects they're getting back. :cool:

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Daniel Mengden and Jacob Nottingham traded to Oakland in return.

The latter is a solid catching prospect. Nice pickup.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Seems like little in return.

Why not wait until the day of the deadline see our record then & listen to all offers. Not the first **** offer we get

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm only surprised they sent him inner-division. I figured that would be as much as they would get for Kazmir. Got a decent prospect in return. Beane loves his catchers. Going in one year from Norris/Jaso/Vogt to Vogt/Phegley/Nottingham.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I understand Kaz would be gone at the end of the year but we could have got more. Don't understand why you don't see all the offers on the table first.

Zobrist & clippard will be next

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I understand Kaz would be gone at the end of the year but we could have got more. Don't understand why you don't see all the offers on the table first.

Zobrist & clippard will be next

What if that was all the offers? Kaz is a risky take, even without the "rental" half season. Grabbing someone in the top 10 of a farm system and one of the best catcher prospects out there isn't that bad. BB didn't take anyone to the cleaners but maybe I'm just in the minority that actually thought this was what they would get for him.

Had this been Zobrist, that'd be a different story. But yeah, Zobrist and Clippard know they are both going elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reddick, Mujica, and Davis go as well.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
What if that was all the offers? Kaz is a risky take, even without the "rental" half season. Grabbing someone in the top 10 of a farm system and one of the best catcher prospects out there isn't that bad. BB didn't take anyone to the cleaners but maybe I'm just in the minority that actually thought this was what they would get for him.

Had this been Zobrist, that'd be a different story. But yeah, Zobrist and Clippard know they are both going elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reddick, Mujica, and Davis go as well.

Cause there's still a week until the deadline to field offers

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Cause there's still a week until the deadline to field offers

I think the Dodgers would have gave up more

There's also the risk that Kazmir would have given up 7 runs in his start yesterday and the offer would have been pulled from the table, with offers from other teams lowered. Or he could have gotten injured, he certainly has an injury history. Then the A's get zero. Everybody knew he was likely available and if they were looking for a starting pitcher they would have talked to Beane. If the Dodgers were interested in Kazmir then I'm sure Beane talked to them, and would have traded with them if their offer was better than the Astros.

I get the argument on the Josh Donaldson trade last year where nobody knew he was available (so no shopping aaround) then he was suddenly traded to the Blue Jays, but I don't think it flies here. Everybody knew the A's were likely sellers.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
There's also the risk that Kazmir would have given up 7 runs in his start yesterday and the offer would have been pulled from the table, with offers from other teams lowered. Or he could have gotten injured, he certainly has an injury history. Then the A's get zero. Everybody knew he was likely available and if they were looking for a starting pitcher they would have talked to Beane. If the Dodgers were interested in Kazmir then I'm sure Beane talked to them, and would have traded with them if their offer was better than the Astros.

I get the argument on the Josh Donaldson trade last year where nobody knew he was available (so no shopping aaround) then he was suddenly traded to the Blue Jays, but I don't think it flies here. Everybody knew the A's were likely sellers.

I discussed this with a friend, I would have sat him one start to be sure he wasn't injured, then see if they made any ground and listen to all offers. The A's run differential is crazy compared to their record, I don't think they were out of the wild card race. But I know how we operate & beane wants to get the sure thing which is a return for KAZ & a doomed season

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I discussed this with a friend, I would have sat him one start to be sure he wasn't injured, then see if they made any ground and listen to all offers. The A's run differential is crazy compared to their record, I don't think they were out of the wild card race. But I know how we operate & beane wants to get the sure thing which is a return for KAZ & a doomed season

You think Vogt goes? His stock is high right now. I think ol Billy is gonna have a tough time breaking even on Zobrist

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
Feeling pretty good as a long time Astros fan. He jst dominated the Royals last night and got good run support. Between him, Kuechel and McHugh, we have never had a better rotation. Yippee!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Feeling pretty good as a long time Astros fan. He jst dominated the Royals last night and got good run support. Between him, Kuechel and McHugh, we have never had a better rotation. Yippee!

I'm excited too, but off the top of my head 1980, 1986, and 2005 all had better rotations. You could make a good argument that 1998 was a better rotation too.

Members online

Latest posts