Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I think it was poorly listed. And probably would have gotten more split. I think this Rickey (or if there are more than one) sold for $750 last year. Ripken usually sells high. Vlad sells good. I'm sure Bonds does too.

Yea super steal and very poorly listed. I honestly didn’t even see it until after but I did win the Red Lot

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Is there a consensus on whether or not more than one copy of the unnumbered ones exist?

The consensus is that for the Series 2 prototypes that there are 1 each of the Red & Purple and the Green may or may not have 2 of each.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell if it’s series 2? Are all unreleased cards series 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Dec 4, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell if it’s series 2? Are all unreleased cards series 2?

Not a dumb question! Check out baseballcardpedia.com, they have a great page dedicated to the crusade set.
http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1998_Donruss_Crusade
Series one consisted of 100 cards from multiple Donruss issues. Leaf R&S had cards 101-130. Then Donruss had plans to extend the set, but they filed for BK too quickly. The prototype unreleased cards all had card numbers on the back above 130.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015

Not a dumb question! Check out baseballcardpedia.com, they have a great page dedicated to the crusade set.
http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1998_Donruss_Crusade
Series one consisted of 100 cards from multiple Donruss issues. Leaf R&S had cards 101-130. Then Donruss had plans to extend the set, but they filed for BK too quickly. The prototype unreleased cards all had card numbers on the back above 130.

Ah thank you! I had actually looked at that page and was confused because mine are card #194, and it looked like series 2 only went to 130. I read it closer this time, and that sucks that the XX/ samples are so rare. I was hoping to run across them one day. Looks like they sold on COMC at some point.

Dec 4, 2008
I was the underbidder on the original samho Bonds and Vlad trios. These went cheap, and I missed them too.

This is interesting and I had almost forgotten about the samho Vlad & Bonds sales, but that definitely rings a bell now. Do you recall about how much each trio sold for? Was it around $900/ea? Or maybe lower than that? Also, do you remember if/when the Ripken ever sold? I looked through worthpoint and could not find the sales on any of the Vlad/Bonds/Ripken. Our friend Vintagesnowmobiles has the purples up already. He is fast!

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I think lots of money left. I only wanted the Rickey. Would have sold all others to make money back. Was surprised it didn't sell for $2K. I think there are 2 Rickeys. Maybe 3, maybe only 1. But I think there are 2.

Honestly besides the terrible listing I think it’s just this month is bad overall. A ton of PWCC stuff went low and I just had auctions end with most going way under projections/previous sales

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
Was able to acquire these 3 Fryman's from the 1998 Donruss Signature Series set that never was.
epve62G.jpg
hipznZV.jpg
slHPo2j.jpg

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Thanks! It's /80. I missed the last one back in 2013.

Yep the Belle is /82 and I think I’ve only seen 2 come up in the last 4 or so years. This seems to be a set that set collectors chase big time. I got lucky and picked up the Now version /18 the only time I saw one surface but there seemed to be much more interest beyond Belle collectors on that one.

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Yep the Belle is /82 and I think I’ve only seen 2 come up in the last 4 or so years. This seems to be a set that set collectors chase big time. I got lucky and picked up the Now version /18 the only time I saw one surface but there seemed to be much more interest beyond Belle collectors on that one.

Yea I agree. I missed a Lofton Now /21 back in '16. Still kicking myself for not going higher, but like you said there is a lot of interest in that set, hope to see one down the road.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Got this in the mail today, number two on my want list behind the 96 Mirror Gold. 97 Bowman’s Best Atomic Refractors have always been my favorite card design, and this was the last one I needed. Over the past few years I’ve missed two that had super cheap BINs and lost one in an auction that I botched a last second manual snipe. Very happy to add this one:
IMG_6536.JPG

Members online

Latest posts