Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Bryce Harper overrated and just a semi-star and NOT a mega-star as we thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Trout is superhuman and his skills look effortless. He's always smiling and having fun like Griffey at that age.

I think Harper is trying too hard. He's too serious most of the time and gets pissed off too much.
His desire and work effort are admirable. But he needs to relax more and not get so angry on the field.
I think he'll be a superstar. He just needs to lighten up a little and have fun.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I'm confused as to what being Mormon has to do with this.

I was being sarcastic, since my stereotypical Mormon is a guy who might be quiet and adhere to pious lifestyle.

Harper maybe Mormon but he is sort of profane at times on the baseball field and if someone were to say he's been playing in so many games [in his youth, in his teens] that he maybe burnt out [as a 20-year kid playing in the Major Leagues], he'd probably have some choice words to say to voice his disagreement for that argument.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
The numbers he is putting up at 19 and 20 would make any fan happy if he was on your team. He's being over analyzed based on his hype and especially by hobby enthusiasts who are projecting performance on card values. If he was on the Cubs, I would be more than excited about his performance and future.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Kind of sophomore jinx for him and a down year for the entire Nats batting lineup, things should get fixed next year.

Yeah once they get back to worrying about saving Strasburg for next season and not letting the Braves have a double digit lead in mid-August with two guys on the roster chasing the Mendoza line and pitches throwing mid 70s gas like it's little league(looking at you Medlen) and having to start Maholololololm, things will be better.

Because right now his team sucks and so does he.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Right now in his career he may not be overrated career-wise. Baseball-reference has him being most similar to the following batters at age 19:

1. George Davis (930) *
  2. Mel Ott (928) *
  3. Al Kaline (906) *
  4. Ty Cobb (899) *
The careers of each of these legends lasted over 20 seasons a long time ago when it may have been more difficult to play into their 40s than today. While Harper is obviously still young, he's obviously not playing like an all-time great this year and has been getting sick and injured. Considering the best indicator of future performance is past performance it's fair to say he's lost some potential as a future all-time great.

Maybe he'll wind up having an offensive career like Andruw Jones' if he stays relatively healthy? If so that's not bad, it just didn't meet initial projections some may have had.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Right now in his career he may not be overrated career-wise. Baseball-reference has him being most similar to the following batters at age 19:

1. George Davis (930) *
  2. Mel Ott (928) *
  3. Al Kaline (906) *
  4. Ty Cobb (899) *
The careers of each of these legends lasted over 20 seasons a long time ago when it may have been more difficult to play into their 40s than today. While Harper is obviously still young, he's obviously not playing like an all-time great this year and has been getting sick and injured. Considering the best indicator of future performance is past performance it's fair to say he's lost some potential as a future all-time great.

Maybe he'll wind up having an offensive career like Andruw Jones' if he stays relatively healthy? If so that's not bad, it just didn't meet initial projections some may have had.

Are you making crap up on another thread? It's harder to be competitive in Professional Sports at age 40 NOW than it was ever.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
No matter how good someone is in high school, college, or minors, the leap to MLB is not always a foregone conclusion. In other words all the hype and talent in the world is sometimes not enough. Harper has every opportunity to become a true star, but in the end I expect him to be a solid offensive producer and a decent glove. No more, no less...

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
He is an excellent hitter, good fielder, and solid baserunner. He is going to be an all star caliber player year in and year out, but it's too soon to tell if he'll ever be an MVP caliber player. He is still very young.

If you think he's been mediocre this year you are very wrong: His wrc+ this year is 150

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Follow his progression in OBP and K/BB ratio and tell me he's not developing into a star hitter. At his age to be approaching a .380 OBP with a .100 split in BA is remarkable. The numbers are remarkably Mantle-like. He needs to get better at driving in runs, but he'll get there. He also needs to tone down some of the Pete Rose hustle and stay on the field. Regardless of how you feel about him as a person, you're watching history. Don't take it for granted. People were saying the same about Griffey Jr.