Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the problem with the selling forums?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I listed a set of oddball cards hoping to help out some player collectors. Had one response and worked out a trade that helped us both. The rest will likely head to ebay. I have just found almost no traffic on the transaction forum. Most of what I saw listed were prospects. Not really my style. I've been a part of many deals on this site and I don't think any came from the transaction forum.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Definitely people over valuing their cards has hurt. So has no pictures in posts. I HATE lists. Also, are people suppose to post prices?

Anyways, it is odd that more deals don't get done.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It's not for collectors, it's for flippers. Maybe if there were a separate prospects/flipping forum, and an actual cards for collectors forum, something would happen. But, as has been stated above, the selling forum is dominated by things many of us here aren't interested in. Plus, as also mentioned, many people won't buy unless they're really stealing from the seller. I've sold maybe one card here in the last year, but when I was more active, I was getting tons of laughable offers from people who should have known better. Yes, of course I'll sell my 2010 Bow Platinum Mike Trout auto for $40. Sure, I'll trade my 2011 Bow Plat Green Harper auto for a Paul Konerko sticker auto #'ed /399. I will absolutely sell one particularly rare card for $20 instead of immediately selling it on ebay for $150. All offers I received, and I'm sure plenty other sellers have similar stories.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
No one lists who I collect, and its a bear to search just to find a lone straggler card that I already own. For a Player Collector, ebay is the way to go.

I agree as a player collector i have no intrest or much knowledge in prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Definitely people over valuing their cards has hurt. So has no pictures in posts. I HATE lists. Also, are people suppose to post prices?
I agree. No pictures, no prices and long lists, and I just skip it. In fact, I don't even bother with the transaction boards anymore.
And as someone else mentioned, people just want steals so they can flip the cards on eBay.

Also, as a player and set collector, it's a million times easier to search cards and sets on eBay, or check favorites, than to wade through random threads on a message board.

eBay is quicker, easier, less of a hassle and I just feel safer.
I've read too many horror stories on this board and others of people being screwed over with deals and waiting several weeks or longer for a resolution (which sometimes never happens).
On eBay, file a claim, get a refund. Easy and quick.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have not checked out the sell pages here, so i can only toss out some assumptions.

I think generally speaking, people don't seem to want to put any effort into selling their items. I saw long lists mentioned. Who wants to scan long lists? I realize there are search functions, but that is really only useful if you are someone focused and on a mission. I am a browser shopper by nature. I like to see the cards i am looking to buy.

No prices? A card shop classic. Let's fill a case with cards and put no prices on them. Then I have to ask about every card I have interest in and be judged when I pass on all of them because the owner is stuck in 1994!

If I were the King of card selling rules, here is how it would work.

You'd need to post sans of the cards you are selling. Frony only is fine, but if the back is relevant to the card in some way, then back too. Preferably no more than 9 cards per scan (like a 9 pocket), scanned to scale or larger, so that you can read the names, serial numbers, etc. Thumbnail photos…don't bother! The cards would then have to be listed as well, with year, make and set description. Then a price would be necessary. Finally all of the boilerplate/rules on payment types, shipping charges and ESPECIALLY what costs are involved and if there are caps on shipping charges. Nothing bothers me more than a seller listing a ton of great singles (this is a major problem on ebay) and telling me that they want $3.00 for shipping and no mention of additional items or they will say $3.00 for one item plus $0.50 each additional item. That is great for 4-5 cards, but what if I buy 50 cards? Are you really going to charge me $28.50 for shipping? If I don't check first, you might!!

It really is amazing how different people are when it comes to something like this, here or on ebay. There are plenty of people that really have no idea on how to list/promote their items and put zero effort into them. No or poor descriptions, blurry and undersized photos, lack of basic information such as card set/serial numbers (yes, lots of people care and may want a specific serial number…spend the extra 2 seconds to include it!)/etc. I guess you get out what you put into something.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I have not checked out the sell pages here, so i can only toss out some assumptions.

I think generally speaking, people don't seem to want to put any effort into selling their items. I saw long lists mentioned. Who wants to scan long lists? I realize there are search functions, but that is really only useful if you are someone focused and on a mission. I am a browser shopper by nature. I like to see the cards i am looking to buy.

No prices? A card shop classic. Let's fill a case with cards and put no prices on them. Then I have to ask about every card I have interest in and be judged when I pass on all of them because the owner is stuck in 1994!

If I were the King of card selling rules, here is how it would work.

You'd need to post sans of the cards you are selling. Frony only is fine, but if the back is relevant to the card in some way, then back too. Preferably no more than 9 cards per scan (like a 9 pocket), scanned to scale or larger, so that you can read the names, serial numbers, etc. Thumbnail photos…don't bother! The cards would then have to be listed as well, with year, make and set description. Then a price would be necessary. Finally all of the boilerplate/rules on payment types, shipping charges and ESPECIALLY what costs are involved and if there are caps on shipping charges. Nothing bothers me more than a seller listing a ton of great singles (this is a major problem on ebay) and telling me that they want $3.00 for shipping and no mention of additional items or they will say $3.00 for one item plus $0.50 each additional item. That is great for 4-5 cards, but what if I buy 50 cards? Are you really going to charge me $28.50 for shipping? If I don't check first, you might!!

It really is amazing how different people are when it comes to something like this, here or on ebay. There are plenty of people that really have no idea on how to list/promote their items and put zero effort into them. No or poor descriptions, blurry and undersized photos, lack of basic information such as card set/serial numbers (yes, lots of people care and may want a specific serial number…spend the extra 2 seconds to include it!)/etc. I guess you get out what you put into something.

It's a forum - not a proxy for Burbank Sportscards.

Do Blowout and other forums have the same traffic problems?

TheProspector

May 31, 2014
Houston, TX
I just put up a cheap Springer lot in the forums. We'll see how it goes.

I hate selling on eBay (very very rarely do) but we all know there's certain cards which should be auctioned.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Well, considering I posted a question yesterday regarding which Bowman cards they were on the thread you started to sell them, and you have not even bothered to answer, I can see why you would have problems selling on here.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
No one lists who I collect, and its a bear to search just to find a lone straggler card that I already own. For a Player Collector, ebay is the way to go.

Same with me. My collecting focus is very narrow so there usually isn't much on there for me. I get hits on my Puckett buying thread every now and then.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The other problem I have is the PM's and responses. People will post or send a message asking for a lot price and then they don't respond ever or it takes forever. It pops up on the screen and says you have a message, if you ask for a price you should be able to respond immediately or within an hour or so. I have people not respond for 48 hours and expect to still have the same offer sitting there.

Its the most annoying part of trying to sell here IMO.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Well, considering I posted a question yesterday regarding which Bowman cards they were on the thread you started to sell them, and you have not even bothered to answer, I can see why you would have problems selling on here.

Yeah sorry, I rarely sell on here and i checked a few times after with no responses or pm.

Anyway, I answered your post about the Springer cards.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Like everything else it comes down to member base. The 'active' member base here is predominantly store (brick & mortar or otherwise) owners, prospectors, flippers, breakers/sellers, collectors no longer actively collecting, and eBay sellers looking to make a few bucks. Rounding that out are just a select few who would have no real opportunity to buy or sell here for what they need.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I listed a set of oddball cards hoping to help out some player collectors. Had one response and worked out a trade that helped us both. The rest will likely head to ebay. I have just found almost no traffic on the transaction forum. Most of what I saw listed were prospects. Not really my style. I've been a part of many deals on this site and I don't think any came from the transaction forum.

What do you have left?

Members online

Latest posts