Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Deck Mystery Cuts Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Over the past 7 years I've acquired a small UD Mystery Cuts collection, picking up cards either with personal significance and/or were just "cool". This week I received my 5th cut and wanted to show them in hopes others might also share. Here we go!

Vic Morrow: I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan and Morrow is infamously remembered for being killed while filming a scene for Twilight Zone: The Movie in 1982.
Vic Morrow Mystery Cut.jpg

Bing Crosby: His White Christmas album is by far my favorite of the season, being played by my Dad non-stop growing up.
Bing Crosby Mystery Cut.jpg

Charlton Heston: A great actor that appeared in some of my favorite movies, including Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, The Omega Man and Touch of Evil.
Charlton Heston Mystery Cuts.jpg

Michael Hutchence: The lead singer of INXS that passed away in 1997 at the age of 37. "Never Tear Us Apart" is one of my all-time favorite songs and I was thrilled to find this card, despite the last name being misspelled (thanks, Upper Deck).
Michael Hutchence Mystery Cut.jpg

Jack Dempsey: A great looking cut of the World Heavyweight Champion from 1919 to 1926. I enjoy being able to read some of the words on the other side of the paper identifying it as some kind of bus manifest form.
Jack Dempsey Mystery Cut.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Thanks, guys! This is an odd set to collect as the only stipulation for being included was the signer be deceased. There aren't a ton of these cards out there but I'd enjoy to see what other people own. :smile:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Vic Morrow is also the a-hole coach of the a-hole team (The Yankees) in Bad News Bears. I swear in little league a lot of coaches tried to emulate him more than Walter Matthau.

That's a great collection. So many subjects of those cuts are "who?" but you've got a nice range of subjects and they look great. Great sigs.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
The Heston is signed beautifully. I'd like to see some modern autos done with a fountain pen.
Agreed and that would be a cool take on a modern auto set. Of course, they would need signers to take their time and put some pride into how their autos look.

Vic Morrow is also the a-hole coach of the a-hole team (The Yankees) in Bad News Bears. I swear in little league a lot of coaches tried to emulate him more than Walter Matthau.

That's a great collection. So many subjects of those cuts are "who?" but you've got a nice range of subjects and they look great. Great sigs.
Thanks! Morrow was hilarious in Bad News Bears, I need to watch that again soon. Also, he was/is the father of actress Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Art Carney: My newest pick-up goes back to my love for The Twilight Zone as Carney played Henry Corwin (the drunk Santa Claus) in the episode "The Night of the Meek".
Art Carney Mystery Cuts Front.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Ross Martin: Versatile actor most known for his role as Artemus Gordon on the TV show The Wild Wild West... but I most know him from his appearances on The Twilight Zone.
Ross Martin Mystery Cut Front.jpg

Ossie Davis: Accomplished actor with a long film and television career, including a memorable role in the pilot episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery.
Ossie Davis Mystery Cuts Front.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Warren Oates: Wonderful character actor from the mid-50's until his death in 1982 at age 53, most known for his frequent appearances in Sam Peckinpah films, as Sgt. Hulka in Stripes... and 2 episodes of The Twilight Zone.
Warren Oates Mystery Cuts Front.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Jake LaMotta: Former middleweight boxing champion whose life was the inspiration for the film Raging Bull.
Jake La Motta Mystery Cut FRONT.jpg

Janet Leigh: Wonderful actress most known for her infamous shower scene in Psycho.
2009 Janet Leigh Mystery Cuts FRONT.JPG

Cesar Romero: Versatile film and television actor most known for his role as the Joker on the 60's Batman show.
Cesar Romero Mystery Cut FRONT.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Kim Hunter: Oscar-winning actress most known for her role as "Zira" in the original Planet of the Apes movies (she also appeared in an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery).
2008 Kim Hunter Mystery Cuts #LC-MC, 14 of 31 FRONT.jpg

Lurene Tuttle: Star of radio, television and movies, Tuttle seemingly appeared in every TV show throughout the 60's and 70's, including an episode of The Twilight Zone.
2008 Lurene Tuttle Mystery Cuts #LC-MC, 1 of 1 FRONT.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
J. Edgar Hoover: The first Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, serving from the founding of the FBI in 1935 until his death in 1972. Been wanting to add a nice example of him for years now.

J. Edgar Hoover Mystery Cuts Front.jpg

Members online

Latest posts