Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has there ever been a card show on a card forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
It would work better as a "transaction" night. members could post if cards are FS/FT or FT or FS or whatever. I would definitely be their as a buyer and in a support capacity.

If I had to guess, I would think that the majority of people would be afraid that "transaction night" is just a few people trying to see if anyone wants to buy a Wil Myers BGS 9.5 blue ref auto for $325 ($20 less than ebay!). I would be happier selling a quarter of that in inserts and parallels that I'd like to move.

Just as good would be trading them for similar cards that I want. It does not seem that many see it as worthwhile to dig out a couple of 2012 Bowman Internationals or some $3 Craig Counsell inserts and sell them here. I would be very interested if someone was selling those here, but so far I haven't seen it. Hence, the hope that it leans more towards trading than buying/selling.

Or maybe just a night where everyone posts their wantlists. Similar to a show where you just walk around and tell dealers what you're looking for and he/she pull out their Craig Kimbrel cards or points you to the box where they are. It's a variation of the player collector thread and set builder forum, I suppose, but would allow for both player collectors and set collectors to try to find what they're looking for in one place.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I would be in as well. Mostly seller, with some buying. I would also help in any way possible. Maybe if we could set up a group of sellers that were accepted and safe, then each seller could make a $10 contribution to fcb, like paying for a table at a show. This money could go towards some prizes, to bring people in.

Greg

Greg - this seems like an interesting idea. The $10 contribution would at least seem to incentivize sellers to come prepared and ready to sell, as opposed to someone who just throws out a free thread with cards/prices no one is that interested in. Prizes almost always help!

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'd be happy to give it a shot as well. If prizes are going to be awarded, I recommend limiting them to people that actually make purchases.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
If I had to guess, I would think that the majority of people would be afraid that "transaction night" is just a few people trying to see if anyone wants to buy a Wil Myers BGS 9.5 blue ref auto for $325 ($20 less than ebay!). I would be happier selling a quarter of that in inserts and parallels that I'd like to move.

Just as good would be trading them for similar cards that I want. It does not seem that many see it as worthwhile to dig out a couple of 2012 Bowman Internationals or some $3 Craig Counsell inserts and sell them here. I would be very interested if someone was selling those here, but so far I haven't seen it. Hence, the hope that it leans more towards trading than buying/selling.

Or maybe just a night where everyone posts their wantlists. Similar to a show where you just walk around and tell dealers what you're looking for and he/she pull out their Craig Kimbrel cards or points you to the box where they are. It's a variation of the player collector thread and set builder forum, I suppose, but would allow for both player collectors and set collectors to try to find what they're looking for in one place.

Thing is, it always will depend on the participants. If they are willing to put up fair prices, its going to be fine.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
A couple of us tried this during the "Black Friday" weekend. It started out with a decent flurry of activity, but then died off. I think with front-page support from Chris for a few weeks leading up, it would work again. Chris supported the idea back in November, but I basically asked him about it and had it running in under a day, so there was no time to promote.

People need to want to SELL, and not just have have stuff with prices on them. I was selling a Wil Myers for $60 because I could make money and not look like I was trying to maximize close to eBay prices.

I would also suggest that sellers have their stuff sorted by team or player or by set (for everyone who isn't a famous player). That's what works at shows and will allow browsers to virtually "sort" through tables.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
If this is something we can try I think the sat before the super bowl would be a good date to give it a shot.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
It needs marketing and distribution. Perhaps [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] could send an email to the community with a date/time once decided upon. We'd also need to see a forum set up for it.

There was (and I'm going WAYYYYYYY back) a girl who set up a virtual card show many years ago, online, and I vaguely remember "going" to it. I recall it being a good experience, but couldn't tell you how she ran it at this point. I just remember it was a lot of text of things available. I don't even think we even had the ability to scan stuff back then! LOL

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I think if somehow it started as its own forum like card show/ trade day and was broke down by sport baseball, basketball, football, hockey, & other. when a member is posting in baseball thread and they have low end prospects for sale just title the posting LOW END PROSPECTS. If they also have some vintage cards start another post titled VINTAGE CARDS as well. and if they have football post under the football thread HIGH END AUTOS ect ect....This way if people are only looking for specific items they wont have to look through tons of posts to find what they are looking for.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I think if somehow it started as its own forum like card show/ trade day and was broke down by sport baseball, basketball, football, hockey, & other. when a member is posting in baseball thread and they have low end prospects for sale just title the posting LOW END PROSPECTS. If they also have some vintage cards start another post titled VINTAGE CARDS as well. and if they have football post under the football thread HIGH END AUTOS ect ect....This way if people are only looking for specific items they wont have to look through tons of posts to find what they are looking for.

Our transactions foeum should work just fine

sent this from the new fcb app. go get yours.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
It needs marketing and distribution. Perhaps @cgilmo could send an email to the community with a date/time once decided upon. We'd also need to see a forum set up for it.

There was (and I'm going WAYYYYYYY back) a girl who set up a virtual card show many years ago, online, and I vaguely remember "going" to it. I recall it being a good experience, but couldn't tell you how she ran it at this point. I just remember it was a lot of text of things available. I don't even think we even had the ability to scan stuff back then! LOL

Amys Cards /TT Auctions used to run it. I think it was called Online Card Show. It was a neat thing ahead of it's time.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Right... Amys cards! Man, we are old. LOL. I suppose alt.rec.collecting means something to you too!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Latest posts