Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Cain to the DL with an elbow issue. Belt to the DL with a concussion.

Giants sign Dan Uggla to a minor league deal.

Not a lot of news to be excited about on a Monday morning. :(

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Why did the braves let uggla go? And Cain on the dl? Geez..

Uggla got let go because he was hitting .162/.241/.231, with 2 homers in 130 ab. The year before he hit .179/.309/.362 with 22 homers in 448 ab. The Braves are on the hook for his salary this year and next, so they apparently decided that it was worth it to eat his contract just to get him off the team.

It's a AAA contract with an August 1st opt-out clause, so there's no risk. If he sucks in Fresno, he's gone.

Tim Hudson has already given Uggla a vote of confidence, saying that he's been in regular contact with Dan Uggla during this process, and thinks that he'll make the most of this chance and rake for SF.

Pat Burrell 2.0? I guess we'll see.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
What do you think about the rumors that SF might relocate their AAA club to Sacramento? The ownership of the Sacramento River Cats is apparently very interested in changing affiliations from Oakland to SF. If you're not in California, you probably don't care.

I'd absolutely love it. Raley Field is just 30 min from my house.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
What do you think about the rumors that SF might relocate their AAA club to Sacramento? The ownership of the Sacramento River Cats is apparently very interested in changing affiliations from Oakland to SF. If you're not in California, you probably don't care.

Is that the Fresno team? To Sacramento? To me thats farther than driving to Frisco. Honestly, I still havent seen a San Jose Giants game yet, and they are a half hour away.

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Is that the Fresno team? To Sacramento? To me thats farther than driving to Frisco. Honestly, I still havent seen a San Jose Giants game yet, and they are a half hour away.

SF Giants AAA affiliate: Fresno Grizzlies.
Oakland A's AAA affiliate: Sacramento Rivercats.

I get out to 1 Giants game a year, but I could easily see myself taking in multiple Rivercats games if the Rivercats had Giants farm players.

That, plus minor league games are cheap and easy for families with small children to have a good time. I'm not crazy (or wealthy) enough to take my 3 little girls to AT&T Park at their ages (5, 3, 1).

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, I'm not ready to take Avery (my 3 year old) to AT&T Park yet. I did take Alie (my 7 year old). she did fine, but was more concerned with getting cotton candy than seeing the game.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA

Horrible idea, but I am from Fresno

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Yikes.

Adrianza and Scutaro to the DL.
Nick Noonan and Jose DePaula DFA'ed.

Dan Uggla and Tony Abreu's contracts purchased and will be in uniform tonight.

Abreu was hitting .281/.329/.434 in Fresno, and had recently opted out of his minor league contract, but obviously hadn't found a job anywhere else yet.
Dan Uggla went 2 for 7 in Fresno with 2 walks in his brief minor league look-see. He hit .162/.241/.231 with the Braves this year.

From mlbtraderumors.com..

"Noonan, 25, was the 32nd overall selection in the 2007 draft. He has only 111 largely unsuccessful MLB plate appearances to his name, all last season, and was struggling mightily at the plate this year with a .239/.281/.302 slash line over 340 plate appearances at Triple-A and High-A.

De Paula has yet to see major league action at age 26. The Dominican native owns a 4.21 ERA through 51 1/3 innings pitched (10 starts and six relief appearances). Over that span, he has struck out 7.2 and walked 2.8 batters per nine, both of which are in line with his career averages."

Well, maybe Pat Burrell can meet Uggla at the park and show him how he flipped the switch in 2010.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
And in addition to 3 no-hit innings so far, Greinke just struck out 4 in one inning. Yes, he struck out 4.

H Sanchez struck out swinging.
T Lincecum struck out looking.
H Pence struck out swinging, H Pence safe at first on wild pitch by Z Greinke.
G Blanco struck out swinging.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Bad-Timmy's back, and Hector leaves the game shortly after taking a vicious foul off the mask.

Guillermo Quiroz, come on down.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Maybe it was just Lincecum reverting back to the norm of the past few years, but it seems odd that he's been pitching really well with Hector behind the plate, and then when Posey puts on the gear, Lincecum falls apart.

At this rate, the Giants will erase their positive run differential in the next few games.

Voggy vs Kershaw, Pettite vs Ryu.

Looks pretty grim to me.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

I think they'd be better served moving their AA affiliate to Sacramento from Richmond, but I doubt the city would appreciate the demotion.

Hey, August 17 is approaching, is anyone going to trading card night that might be able to help me out with a set or two? Trying to get my yearly Meulens/Kelly coaches cards.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Giants just acquired Jake Peavy from the Red Sox in exchange for $$ and AAA pitchers Edwin Escobar (starter) and Heath Hembree (reliever).
Andrew Susac has been called up to replace Hector Sanchez as the Giants backup catcher.

Kinda surprised by the Susac call-up, but he was going to have to get added to the 40 man after the season anyway (rule 5 protection). Still, I figured playing every day in Fresno was better than playing every few days in SF, but hey, he's our best catching prospect.

Hembree was once viewed as the heir-apparent to Brian Wilson, and pitched decently when he was called up last year, but he's been a mess in Fresno this year. During spring training, Edwin Escobar was viewed as Bumgarner Jr, and supposed to be close, but he's struggled in AAA this year.

Anyways, Peavy was Bochy's darling in SD but he's been a mess in Boston, going 1-9 with a 4.72 era and 1.427 whip. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery.

Now we've got 2 guys who have sucked for other teams this year that we're hoping will magically put it together in SF.

Members online