Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I found a mention of this variation on the [MENTION=1983]onionring9[/MENTION] McGwire collection webpage, which reminded me to mention it here. He lists minor variations from the 1994 Leaf base set with the holo foil used on card backs, and I found the same variation on the holo foil used on the 1994 Donruss Special Edition. In both cases the foil can have different color tints to it, oddly enough the colors are bronze, silver, and gold. Hard to see in scans, but you can kinda see variations on COMC, and if you compare a handful of cards in person the variations definitely stand out.

Edit: The same is also true for the holo foil on the back of 1993 Leaf.

Last edited:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I found a mention of this variation on the [MENTION=1983]onionring9[/MENTION] McGwire collection webpage, which reminded me to mention it here. He lists minor variations from the 1994 Leaf base set with the holo foil used on card backs, and I found the same variation on the holo foil used on the 1994 Donruss Special Edition. In both cases the foil can have different color tints to it, oddly enough the colors are bronze, silver, and gold. Hard to see in scans, but you can kinda see variations on COMC, and if you compare a handful of cards in person the variations definitely stand out.

Reallllllyyyy....are there any pics comparing these? I'm very curious on this!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got an old box and noticed something i had not before. Thought I had something interesting, but it seems these were all uncorrected errors. Anyone seen corrected logo versions for any of them?

Summit Wrong Logos.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I have plenty of those Russ Davis cards with the Red Sox logo and I'm pretty sure they were never corrected.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
I picked up what was listed as a 2002 Donruss All-Time Diamond Kings Studio Series Kirby Puckett off COMC yesterday and it seems it's a little off.

The top images are the front and back of the COMC purchase. It's /250, which should make it Studio Series, except that it does not have Studio Series stamped on the front like the bottom image shows.

The base is /2,500, so it would appear this is either an incorrectly numbered base, or a Studio Series missing the front stamping.

32027396361_127c8a4e0c_z.jpg

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I picked up what was listed as a 2002 Donruss All-Time Diamond Kings Studio Series Kirby Puckett off COMC yesterday and it seems it's a little off.

The top images are the front and back of the COMC purchase. It's /250, which should make it Studio Series, except that it does not have Studio Series stamped on the front like the bottom image shows.

The base is /2,500, so it would appear this is either an incorrectly numbered base, or a Studio Series missing the front stamping.

32027396361_127c8a4e0c_z.jpg
That would be a sweet variation Mathew. Be sure to post pics when you have it shipped. Do you have an extra puckett error cards by chance? I'm always looking to add new things.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Todd Helton missing the entire front and border

1483736406733.jpg

Jordan rookie blackless 1483736453296.jpg

Griffey 93 score promo 1483736487671.jpg

DTA

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
How rare is the 1989 Fleer Wade Boggs without a mark on the back? I have one and I want to list on ebay - just have no idea what it goes for. Any thoughts?

Jan 14, 2009
How rare is the 1989 Fleer Wade Boggs without a mark on the back? I have one and I want to list on ebay - just have no idea what it goes for. Any thoughts?

Very rare. That said, I couldn't get $30 for it for the longest time. Believe I finally sold it for $20. With the right cataloging, is worth more than that.

Keep in mind that variation prices fluctuate frequently. One week a rare card sells for $5, another $50.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the info. I got it in a junk box I got real cheap so may just list it for $30 and see what happens. Will pay for the box if I get close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I was just re-scanning my Padres MADD cards to move them from eCrater over to Kronozio when I noticed a variation on the 1999 Tony Gwynn:

e94d8ee498af492daadb6537c7076fab_front.jpg
1e2fffa315a742048822e711f406356d_front.jpg

Under his name, "Outfielder" is white on one and black on the other.

I rally wish there was a way to specify size when referencing an image by URL.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
1992 Topps Silver

Over the last four years (with great help from the emergence of COMC), I have been tracking a little-known parallel for 1992 Topps. Whether a foiling mistake or scrapped parallel, no more than two copies of any player have popped up so far.

Here is the list of confirmed 1992 Topps Silver Winners:

John Olerud
Spike Owen
Kevin Mitchell
Lance Parrish
Tom Foley
Brian Barnes
Tom Henke
John Candelaria
Bob Ojeda
Gary Carter
Ryne Sandberg
Nolan Ryan
Will Clark
Don Robinson
Juan Gonzalez

*Brien Taylor (rec'd email in 2010 about this but no follow-up or pic)

There also exists a bronze foil parallel (easier to find than the silver but still difficult). These are very distinct and noticeable next to a gold card.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Over the last four years (with great help from the emergence of COMC), I have been tracking a little-known parallel for 1992 Topps. Whether a foiling mistake or scrapped parallel, no more than two copies of any player have popped up so far.

Here is the list of confirmed 1992 Topps Silver Winners:

John Olerud
Spike Owen
Kevin Mitchell
Lance Parrish
Tom Foley
Brian Barnes
Tom Henke
John Candelaria
Bob Ojeda
Gary Carter
Ryne Sandberg
Nolan Ryan

*Brien Taylor (rec'd email in 2010 about this but no follow-up or pic)

There also exists a bronze foil parallel (easier to find than the silver but still difficult). These are very distinct and noticeable next to a gold card.
I have the 92 Gold #330 Will Clark Winner in Silver and Copper.

***On side note also have 92 Leaf Black Gold in Silver

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts